Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Vegas driveline issue

Our 2014 Vegas 24.1 started exhibiting vibration through the driveline after about 2000 miles. We went to the local Ford dealer that was able to accommodate motorhomes on a heavy duty lift. I was told that the driveshaft has been modified by Thor, and the problem could not be addressed by the Ford warranty. I was further informed that the modification would seriously shorten the driveline life expectancy, and fail well before it should. I at once e-mailed Thor customer service, and was quickly called on the phone. The Thor rep stated that the Ford tech didn't know what he was talking about, as Thor does not alter, or modify the driveline in any way. Nonetheless, when our coach was in for its final warranty issues at Camping World, St. Augustine, they wisely brought the motorhome next door to the Bozard Ford dealership service department, for a quick check of the driveline vibration. They, too, discovered the vibration, and the altered driveshaft. At that time, another Vegas came in to their service department for the identical complaint. I, again contacted Thor customer service, the same individual who was kind enough to give me his name, e-mail address, and phone number and extension. This is the same rep who denied any driveline mods. He said, that yes, indeed Thor had the driveshaft modified by More-ride, and we were instructed to take the coach to a Mor-ride service center. I refused to do this, as it is not my responsibility to drive all over the countryside chasing warranty work. It costs a lot money to drive anywhere in a motorhome, and we have spent over 800 miles, and a ton of gas money doing this. The Ford dealer was gracious enough to do the contact work with Mor-ride, and coordinate with them, and Thor, to expedite the repairs. As yet, the problem is not resolved, but the next week will tell the tale. If you have an Axis/Vegas, 24.1 and experience driveline vibration, this is the reason.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #2

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Good information. When was your unit manufactured?

Mor/ryde is the company that lengthens the E350 chassis so it makes sense that they are also responsible for the lengthened drive shaft.

There should be a sticker on the wall next to the driver's seat that identifies the company responsible for the chassis modifications.

Bruce
Old 02-07-2015, 12:13 AM   #3

THOR #1466
vegas

I am not sure where the coach was manufactured, Bruce, but it was probably built on a Friday, considering all the issues we have had with it. I do really like the way it drives and handles, how nimble it is thru traffic, and congested areas. It is quite liveable, when it is not in the shop for repairs. All the reasons we first bought the coach for in the first place, still stand. However, the design is neat, but the execution is seriously lacking in quality control. I see you have the 25.1. What these designations mean, who knows. The 25.1 we saw at the Tampa RV trade show, did seem to be better built, and workmanship appeared to be superior to our coach. One thing you should check, loose wires beneath the coach. There were several wires, for lights, foglights, sensor wires, etc,. that had so much slack, and were unsecured, they actually made contact with the tires when under way. They were flapping in the breeze. I cinched up all the loose wires with zip ties to prevent any more contact with the moving tires. Another important issue, is the poor quality foam gasket used between the tail lights and coach fiberglass body. I needed to replace a burned-out brake light. What burned it out was water intrusion into the tail light assembly, and behind the assembly, into the subwall, and down inside the wall, where the wood had already started rotting. This coach is 11 months old! I dried out the water in BOTH tail light mounting areas, and re-sealed with good quality silicone caulk. Make sure you remove both your tail light assemblies and check for leaks. If left unattended, delamination of the whole rear panel will occur in a very short time.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:57 AM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
"delamination of the whole rear panel will occur in a very short time." That exact thing occurred in my old 2003 Sunseeker LE.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The tail-light issue seems to be quite common with the tail-lights Thor uses (among several other RV manufacturers that use them).

I discovered this issue last year and I was able to epoxy the inside areas to prevent any further damage.

Here is a thread where the tail-light issue was discussed. Might shed some light on the issue:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...issue-808.html

The problem is - as you suspected, a poor design of the tail lights. Also, the gasket is a joke. I bought new gaskets from the company that makes the tail lights (Command Electronics), but it is only a matter of time before I have issues again.

The only solution as I see it is to silicone the tail lights - which will alleviate the leak problems, but making it difficult to replace a burned out bulb - or replace the tail lights with something better.

Later this year, when the weather permits, I am going to replace the tail-lights with better ones. I bought a pair of Bargman 34-84-009 tail lights which are fairly close to the ones on the coach, but may require some minor trimming to enlarge the cut-out.

The Bargman tail lights are OEM for the better coaches such as Jayco and Coachmen, while the cheaper Command Electronics lights are OEM on Thor, Winnebago, and a few other cheaper coaches.

I would recommend anyone having the Command Electronics tail lights to often check them to ensure they are not leaking. At minimum, epoxying the inside cavity will prevent rot issues, and I would suggest that as well.

So it is not a Thor issue in the sense they don't manufacture the tail lights, but it is a Thor issue in the sense they are using them.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I used the Dicor non leveling caulk on my old unit. It goes on super easy, does not dry out like normal caulk, is great at waterproofing, and comes off with ease when time to change a light bulb!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #7

THOR #1466
We are now awaiting word from Mor/ryde when they will ship a new driveshaft out to the Ford dealer who will install it. I did, as discussed before, have the problem of the cheap tail-light gasket leakage. I did use silicone to waterproof the units, and expect a little trouble when a bulb burns out. However, this is a better solution than leaving the old gaskets on, and having a massive leak and delamination issue down the road. I will use Dicor next time I need to replace a bulb. I have developed a loud creaking noise emanating from the front of the coach when driving, and when walking around inside the coach. It sounds like a mounting point creaking, cracking noise. Ford dealer checked suspension, and it is fine. The noise comes from the attachment point, where the coach body is fastened to the chassis. The technicians at Camping World, St. Augustine claimed they didn't hear it, and could not find any issue. We are going back to educate them as to the problem, which is quite obvious to any one with ears. I am fed up with the joys of owning a Thor motorhome.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:11 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have been fixing my 2014 27k Hurricane since the day we bought it. I feel and know your pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
We are now awaiting word from Mor/ryde when they will ship a new driveshaft out to the Ford dealer who will install it. I did, as discussed before, have the problem of the cheap tail-light gasket leakage. I did use silicone to waterproof the units, and expect a little trouble when a bulb burns out. However, this is a better solution than leaving the old gaskets on, and having a massive leak and delamination issue down the road. I will use Dicor next time I need to replace a bulb. I have developed a loud creaking noise emanating from the front of the coach when driving, and when walking around inside the coach. It sounds like a mounting point creaking, cracking noise. Ford dealer checked suspension, and it is fine. The noise comes from the attachment point, where the coach body is fastened to the chassis. The technicians at Camping World, St. Augustine claimed they didn't hear it, and could not find any issue. We are going back to educate them as to the problem, which is quite obvious to any one with ears. I am fed up with the joys of owning a Thor motorhome.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite
THOR #1616
Our Thor Freedom Elite is at the Ford dealer now for a drive train problem. At first they thought it was out of balance. Now they are saying it needs a rack and pinion??? I hope we can get it back by Easter when our kids are in town. Sounds like a common problem, doesn't it?