Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2021, 03:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #22114
2015 Axis 24.2

I'm looking at a used 24.2. Does anyone have any comments or experience with this floor plan?

Thank you.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:48 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
I have no real experience with the 24.2 model but I will say that this is the floorplan/ model that got us hooked on the Axis / Vegas line. We liked the setup as it seemed more designed with travelers / passengers in mind and for gatherings or tailgate events. We liked no dedicated bedroom area which allowed for larger kitchen, bathroom and general gathering areas. We looked at one Axis 24.2 (2015) in person that was for sale by owner. My wife and I really liked the layout and size. Our primary use for such unit was for sporting events for our kids and for travel with our kids. We passed on the private party 24.2 as it had a few blemishes that we were not interested in fixing or addressing. I continued the search for another 24.2 and used market inventory was almost nonexistent. I suspect the total number of 24.2's sold between 2014 and 2015 were minimal as the floorplan really catered to a pretty specific group.

As the search continued for months I stumbled upon the 25.5. Similar concept - people mover and no dedicated bedroom area. Both things we liked about the 24.2. Like the 24.2, the 25.5 was only made for a couple years (2018-2019 I believe). I found our 2019 for sale private party and jumped on it. We absolutely love it.

We also have a 2018 Keystone Montana 40' front living room 5th wheel that fills our needs when we need a house on wheels with a dedicated bedroom area.

Hope that helps. I'm sure if we would have got a 24.2, we would have been close to as happy as we are for our 25.5. The 2019 25.5 obviously cost more but with the extra cost we got a newer unit with more technology and improvements.

*I really do like the 24.2 floorplan.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #3

THOR #22114
Smile 2015 24.2 Axis

Thank you so much. Really, really appreciate your feedback.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
We have a 2016 Axis 24.2 and like the layout. We really like the absence of a dedicated sleeping area and the layout of the kitchen and bath. It is only a minor inconvenience to change from living to sleeping at night.

I sleep on the couch/bed and my wife sleeps on the overhead bed. To simplify things at night, I removed the couch/bed and installed a jackknife bed that sets up as a twin and is pretty comfortable. We often leave it set up as a bed since it does not take as much room as the prior arrangement.

We typically camp for several days, the longest I recall is two weeks.

The size of the rig makes it pretty easy to drive and get into and out of various locations. It is a bit low so you have to be careful with uneven terrain. That would be common with other models of the Axis/Vegas line.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
For those not familiar with the 24.2 floorplan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_ThorMotorCoach_Vegas_242.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	28529  
Old 02-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Thanks Bob.
I had an idea, thought I had seen one at a dealer, but I had dimissed it due to the slide problems and the slide having to be out to catch a roadside or rolling nap.

The cw dealer here had this model, a 25 and a 2015 24.1 and a new 24.1 all sitting side by side along with three ace models when we first started looking,

We stuck on the 24.1
We were just perusing floor plans for our mega c project.
24.1 was all we needed...as a starter kit.
Done.

The real reason for the mega c project was 700hp on what would essentially be a bobtail. I didn't want to be a hinderance to, nor hindered by, traffic.
The v10 does me fine in a 24.1.
When doing 87mph while passing a '50 to 70mph within any mile', non-driver...v10 did fine.
Mega c is now just a dumb thought...cancelled.

I'm very happy with the layout of our kit.
No floor plan changes planned.
Of course I'll replace every other thing in it, but the floor plan is perfection.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:42 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Just a thought. Since those models are so rare, will resale be a problem? By that I mean when you go to sell or trade it, will you have to take less than the more popular products would give you?
Old 02-12-2021, 02:02 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum, and the best of luck in finding your perfect RV.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:00 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
As Bill mentioned below, the absence of a dedicated sleeping area makes a motorhome feel much larger for its size, but it’s not for everyone. During the day it provides more living space, but requires making beds every night and storing them away in morning.

Our first owned motorhome (we’ve also rented a few) was very similar to the 24.2 with the same rear bath and kitchen, except it had a jackknife couch behind driver seat and conventional dinette on passenger side instead of twin swivel-chair dinette. Mainly we had more sleeping options (overhead was much larger also and could sleep two adults). What we liked best in a small motorhome was the large kitchen and most of all we liked all the seating in front of MH which made day trips with large groups of family or friends more enjoyable.

I liked the 24.2 a lot when it came out except for it having a slide that would require extending to access the main bed. I personally think that’s also going to hamper the new similar 24.3 floor plan some. The 24.2 also only has sleeping for 3, which isn’t great for a motorhome that size. For some that may not be an issue.

I also recall a lady tell her husband at an RV show that she liked the 24.2 but would never want to prepare food across from a “toilet”. It resonated with me because we had owned the very same kitchen/bathroom arrangement and it never came up as an issue. Just shows different people have different needs and expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Redlands View Post
......cut..... We really like the absence of a dedicated sleeping area and the layout of the kitchen and bath. .....cut....
Old 02-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.2
THOR #18202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
During the day it provides more living space, but requires making beds every night and storing them away in morning.

The 24.2 also only has sleeping for 3, which isn’t great for a motorhome that size. For some that may not be an issue.
I agree this layout is limited to a few people. For us that works. Before I replaced the couch with the jackknife sofa, I would just remove the cushions and sleep on the couch rather than make up the double bed. It would be essentially the size of a cot. The jackknife gives me a twin size bed, fine for one person. Both could be used without extending the slide - something we do occasionally when parked along side a curb.

When we travel, it is one or two people sleeping in the motorhome. We typically take short trips rarely more than a week or two and more commonly like one we have planned this weekend. Three nights, each in a different location in and around Joshua Tree National Park.

I suspect that if my wife ever retires, our needs would change and we might consider a larger rig with different amenities .

All that said, I have the ability to park the motorhome inside but limited on the length. When I sent shopping for a new rig a few years ago, I took a tape measure and the length was the first criteria. At the time, I knew little to nothing about the Axis line. A few inches longer and it would have stayed on the lot.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Redlands View Post
I agree this layout is limited to a few people. For us that works. ......cut.....
It’s difficult to figure out trends, what works best for most buyers, and what manufacturers may be thinking as they develop new designs. It’s confusing.

In the past, Axis/Vegas floor plans that didn’t have dedicated beds did not seem to last long before being discontinued. In many cases, beds are either folding or Murphy style, frequently combined with slides that must be extended in order to use the primary beds. In any case, most Axis/Vegas floor plans had multiple beds so that in a pinch, a couple could sleep without having to extend any slides.

More recently Thor has introduced the Compass/Gemini 23TE (floor plan below) that moves away from having a permanent bedroom area even more. There’s only one bed that is also primary sitting area, and requires extending slide for either to work right. In my opinion that’s placing all eggs in one basket in order for the rest of 23’-6” motorhome to have larger bath, kitchen, and interior storage.

At opposite end of design spectrum there are motorhomes like new Winnebago EKKO that has a dedicated bedroom but at expense of small kitchen and bathroom areas. Both only sleep two. At least since smaller EKKO doesn’t have slides, everything is equally useable all the time.

Compared to my first Class C motorhome (from +/- 20 years ago), which was also 23’-6” long, I don’t see that much progress in floor plans. Adding a slide and Murphy bed makes for an equal-size motorhome that is less useable and less practical for our needs.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #12

Model: 2015 axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #12543
I had the 2015 24.1 with twin beds in rear. Not sure you will enjoy those sleeping arrangements with the 24.2. Good luck , Ederd
Old 02-17-2021, 08:43 PM   #13

Model: Vegas
State: New York
THOR #17148
I have a 2016 Vegas 25.2. While I really like the bedroom, my biggest complaint is the lack of a side slide. If we have the dining table in and one of us is standing at the sink or microwave, there's no room for the other person to pass from front-rear of vice versa. I wish there was a model with the 25.2 rear slide for the bed and a side slide for more room in the living/dining/main area.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:03 AM   #14

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We're off topic, but we put both of the tables that came with our 25.2 in storage. I used the post from the oval table to mount a rectangular wood table top. Placed in the forward hole, it is just right for the two of us to eat. This allows ample room for two in that limited space. That top came from Home Depot, intended to be a top for a tool box.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:52 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #7188
24.1 vs 24.2

There are multiple Axis/Vegas models, but I've never seen a 24.2. We own a 2017 24.1. Is there a 24.2 model?
We like the 24.1 because the full size beds are available without extending any slides.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:57 AM   #16

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoar View Post
...Is there a 24.2 model?....

The second post speaks of comparison.
There's a floor plan in post 5.
There's an owner report in posts 4 and 10.
Chance speaks of doing a comparison
I speak of comparison
What's your doubt?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoar View Post
There are multiple Axis/Vegas models, but I've never seen a 24.2. We own a 2017 24.1. Is there a 24.2 model?
We like the 24.1 because the full size beds are available without extending any slides.
No anymore. That floorplan went away after the 2017 model year I believe. Here's a quick video on it:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote