Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Virginia
THOR #1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Have you posted a thread explaining the issue. Someone may have encountered the same issue before and have some insight on the solution.
No I haven't. Before taking it in it was too cold to troubleshoot and since I don't have it now I can't check any suggestions.

The worst thing with the dealer was trying to get them to understand the issue. They told me it was done. But when I went to pick it up, the paperwork for that item said they charged the batteries. Then when I checked of course the problem wasn't fixed. It then took about an hour to get them to understand what the issue was. They kept saying they needed to charge the batteries in order to get the AGS to start the generator to charge the batteries.

wanewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanewton View Post
The dealer won't do anything about the fire extinguisher. I mentioned it and they said they couldn't find anything on it. So while I was sitting in the showroom, I went online and ordered the new one. Not a big issue to go through kidde's web site and not really a Thor issue I don't think.
Not a big issue other than them selling units with defective fire safety equipment and not being smart enough to use Google. Tells me a lot about what to expect from Safford service.

When I walk outside in a bot I'll grab my extinguisher and have it at hand when I call Kiddie.

I am still be interested in how Thor handles the issue because they did the installation and it a part of the RVIA certification standards they must maintain.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #23

THOR #1032
In case you want to do it online instead of call, here is the link to the web site.

Kidde Inmar-Recalls | Language selection
Old 03-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #24
Site Team

THOR #1469
Willis,

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a replacement for the coach and two for the house which were also under recall.

While you were at Safford did they even take an interest in the recall or just blow it off saying it's no concern to them?
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #25

THOR #1032
I think it was something they didn't want to be bothered with. One comment I got was basically "just because you see it on the Internet doesn't make it true". In reference to where I saw the recall info.

Just remember, I took mine to dealer prep area and not to the service department. I will be curious to see how the service department is if I ever take it there.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #26
Site Team

THOR #1469
Update

After getting Thor to agree to sending the bulb seal so I could install it myself (saving approx. 20 gallons of gas returning to the dealer for warranty work) they sent the wrong seal. Thor sent me the exterior bulb seal for the slide rather than the interior seal. When I talked to their parts department last week they initially said I would have to go through the authorization process again to get the correct seal. The following day I received an email saying no additional authorization is required and the correct seal should be delivered today. Hopefully since I sent them pictures of the end profiles of the correct seal required they will get it right this time.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #27
Site Team

THOR #1469
Wrong seal again

Well, so much for hope.

Even after sending pictures of the end profile of the correct and incorrect seal, in separate email messages, they still got it wrong.

I now have 2 sections, each about 12 feet long, of exterior bulb seal when what I need is the interior seal.

This time they sent me the engineering drawing of what they believe and is in fact, the correct seal to verify. The correct seal should be here later this week.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #1469
Third time's a charm

On the third attempt it looks like Thor has finally sent the correct bulb seal, at least the profile of the seal looks correct. Later this evening or tomorrow I'll actually try to install the seal and see if the fit is correct.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #1469
Bulb Seal Installed

Well it has been a few days since I received the seal but it has been installed.

Originally I thought it would be a PITA but it turned out to be a relatively simple procedure when the seal is combined with some shampoo for lubricant and some strong fingers for pulling.

I had thought I would have to remove the trim around the slide, however, retracting the slide about 4 inches allowed me to get my hand in far enough to grip the slide and pull while guiding the top part of the slide onto the wipe seal's track. The channel in the wipe seal is what serves as the wire chase when the bulb seal is installed onto the wipe seal.

Now, not only is the wire secure, but the slide no longer extend about an inch further on that side.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #30

Model: Challenger ND
State: Alberta
THOR #2489
We just took delivery of our 2015 Challenger ND and went to the mountains this weekend. The second day I tried retracting the living room/driver side slide and it came in half way and then bound on one side. I extended out again, then retracted and it did the same thing. The motor on one side kept pulling while the other one stopped. I called my dealer while at the camp ground and they explained how to do a manual over ride. We did that and with three other campers tried pushing the slide in. Nothing. Now I'm thinking how am I going to get the rig home.
Along came another campers who was an automotive tech. and he figured something was blocking the slide from retracting. We looked inside, along the rails and then under the slide where there is an opening with seals and could see a white guide. You could see where it travelled along the channel arm and then became stuck. It took off the paint on the channel at that location. He then proceeded to pry the guide with a large screw driver while I pressed the retract button. The slide then continued and fully retracted. I had to stop part way as his screw driver was jambed.
Has any one heard of this problem with the Schwintek Slide System. I dropped the motorhome off at my dealer this am and await an answer. Not a very good start to a 6 figure motor home.

P.S.
They lost the barbeque that was supposed to come with the outside kitchen. They have reordered one. Is it worth the wait?? Also the gas line from the tank to the outlet under the sink was not plumbed. Is that normal and something the dealer is supposed to finish?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:08 AM   #31
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorde View Post
We just took delivery of our 2015 Challenger ND and went to the mountains this weekend. The second day I tried retracting the living room/driver side slide and it came in half way and then bound on one side. I extended out again, then retracted and it did the same thing. The motor on one side kept pulling while the other one stopped. I called my dealer while at the camp ground and they explained how to do a manual over ride. We did that and with three other campers tried pushing the slide in. Nothing. Now I'm thinking how am I going to get the rig home.
Along came another campers who was an automotive tech. and he figured something was blocking the slide from retracting. We looked inside, along the rails and then under the slide where there is an opening with seals and could see a white guide. You could see where it travelled along the channel arm and then became stuck. It took off the paint on the channel at that location. He then proceeded to pry the guide with a large screw driver while I pressed the retract button. The slide then continued and fully retracted. I had to stop part way as his screw driver was jambed.
Has any one heard of this problem with the Schwintek Slide System. I dropped the motorhome off at my dealer this am and await an answer. Not a very good start to a 6 figure motor home.

P.S.
They lost the barbeque that was supposed to come with the outside kitchen. They have reordered one. Is it worth the wait?? Also the gas line from the tank to the outlet under the sink was not plumbed. Is that normal and something the dealer is supposed to finish?
Congrats on the coach and once the bugs are worked out I'm sure you will enjoy it. We definitely enjoy our 37ND.

The only slide issue I had on my 37ND was when the slide motor on the living room slide came unplugged because of the missing bulb seal. The motor was plugged back in by Thor authorized mobile service and they sent me the bulb seal which I installed.

No problem with the grill missing. Although it is only a single burner grill the Aussie serves its purpose. I had the same grill on my SunSeeker and I used the heck out of it for three years. The only difference was that one was black this one is stainless.

The plumbing for my grill runs along the ceiling in the storage compartment right in front of the outdoor kitchen compartment. My coach was plumbed without any issues.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #32

THOR #2489
Thank you for the quick response and let you know what they find with the slide.
Daryl
Old 07-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #33

THOR #2489
We do like the open plan and wish that it had bigger windows. Another issue is the cheap drawer guides they use expecially on the large drawers. I asked about that and the dealer said that is one of the major complaints and unfortunately Thor is not listening. I will probably replace them myself.
Was the gas line run in piping?

I am sure I will have other questions as well.
Daryl
Old 07-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #34
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorde View Post
Thank you for the quick response and let you know what they find with the slide.
Daryl
Daryl

Not sure if the dealer discussed the tank layout with you.

On the 37ND the shower, outdoor kitchen sink and washing machine (if equipped) are plumbed to the rear gray water tank. The kitchen and bathroom sinks are plumbed to the from gray water tank. The toilet is the only thing plumbed into the black water tank.

I suggest you contact Thor and ask for the waste and fresh water diagrams as well as the electrical schematic.

If you have any questions let me know. Feel free to shoot a private message if you prefer.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #35

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Do I understand correctly that there is no manual cranking of the slide in or out?

I saw a You-Tube video showing that if the slide motors are physically moved out of the way so they disengage from the gears, that the slide can be pushed or pulled in and out by hand. The video did not show this part as I think on larger slides it would take too much force.

There does seem to be a manual override that circumvents problems with slide controls, but it doesn't address physical issues with the drives.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #36
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Do I understand correctly that there is no manual cranking of the slide in or out?

I saw a You-Tube video showing that if the slide motors are physically moved out of the way so they disengage from the gears, that the slide can be pushed or pulled in and out by hand. The video did not show this part as I think on larger slides it would take too much force.

There does seem to be a manual override that circumvents problems with slide controls, but it doesn't address physical issues with the drives.
No manual cranking. If one must, disconnect the motors from the controller to release the brake and then then get a bunch of people to manually push it in. Then you must plug the motors back into the controller to reenergize the motor brakes and put the slide lock bar in place for transport.

There is an override that will retract the slide if both motors are functioning but in my case since one motor was unplugged the override did not work and further jammed the slide at an angle. Since the slide got jammed pushing it in was not an option so Thor authorized mobile service.

Mobile tech found the unplugged motor, synchronized the motors and I installed the bulb seal. No issues since.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Quote:

.....cut.....

Mobile tech found the unplugged motor, synchronized the motors and I installed the bulb seal. No issues since.
Do you ever worry or think about other potential slide problems screwing up a future trip?

As I've stated before, I can see a lot of pros and cons with slides, and since moving-around space isn't all that important to me/us compared to storage, beds, etc., the more I read threads like this one the more I get swayed into the no-slide camp.

Granted it's nice to have more living space, and slides make secondary beds in living area more useable, but since slides don't seem to increase interior or exterior storage, and we normally travel alone so secondary beds aren't a big issue, I'm wondering if the risks and occasional headaches are worth it?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:43 AM   #38
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

Do you ever worry or think about other potential slide problems screwing up a future trip?
In all my years Rv'ing this is the first time I ever had a slide issue and if I worried about slides screwing up a future trip, I'd quit Rv'ing.

The problems I have had Rv'ing were not related to slides but rather with the Black Tank flushing system and with an awning deploying while driving. Believe me the awning deployment at 55 MPH was far worse than any slide issue could possibly be.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-22-2015, 02:02 AM   #39

THOR #2121
Quote:
In all my years Rv'ing this is the first time I ever had a slide issue and if I worried about slides screwing up a future trip, I'd quit Rv'ing.

The problems I have had Rv'ing were not related to slides but rather with the Black Tank flushing system and with an awning deploying while driving. Believe me the awning deployment at 55 MPH was far worse than any slide issue could possibly be.
How does an awning deploy at 55 MPH? Was that electric or manual?

Also, when you say "black tank flushing" is that the same as black tank dumping? Was the problem flushing the toilet or emptying the black tank?

If covered already in other threads please point me in right direction. These seem like systems that should have incredibly low failure rates.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:47 AM   #40
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
How does an awning deploy at 55 MPH? Was that electric or manual?

Also, when you say "black tank flushing" is that the same as black tank dumping? Was the problem flushing the toilet or emptying the black tank?

If covered already in other threads please point me in right direction. These seem like systems that should have incredibly low failure rates.
The awning, three things came into play:

First, the manufacturer of the coach did not maintain the same caliber build sheet/component list that is maintained by Thor. The manufacturer, in this case Forest River, could not tell you what components, model numbers, or serial number were installed on the coach with the exception of major appliances (refrigerator, AC unit etc...)

Second, the awning manufacturer, Dometic, failed to include an important step in the installation steps for the motorized awning. In their recall notice they stated that improper installation and wiring connections could result in undesirable deployment of the awning and in rare circumstances the awning deploying when driving.

Third, Dometic notified Forest River who couldn't determine which coaches had the improperly installed awnings because, unlike Thor, they didn't track them by VIN so Forest River took no action to notify customers of potential problems.

Last year, while returning from a 4th of July trip my awning deployed at 55 mph on Interstate 95. Luckily I was close to my exit and only 6 miles from the house. After some research I found the recall, talked to Dometic and they verified my awning was one of the units under recall. It took 2 months (summer season) before the coach could get into a shop to have the awning replaced and the coach sidewall repaired. The awning deployed with such force that it ripped 3 of the 8 mounting bolts out of the side wall.

Challenge for today, try getting a 16 foot awning tube and motor (they do not bend) inside a class C motor home for transporting. Mine hung out the partially open door for 6 miles going down back roads.

Black tank flush. The black tank flush is used to flush the junk out of the black tank when draining. It attempts to clean the residue off of the tank sensors. Again on my Forest River the black tank flush stopped working 3 times due to a plugged nozzle. After the third failure I did some research and found the solution was to over drill the hole in the nozzle by 1/32 inch. I bought a new nozzle drilled it out, installed it and never again had a problem. Although not a major problem it was always one of those "not again" issues.
FMCA - F432054