Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger ND
State: Alberta
THOR #2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The awning, three things came into play:

First, the manufacturer of the coach did not maintain the same caliber build sheet/component list that is maintained by Thor. The manufacturer, in this case Forest River, could not tell you what components, model numbers, or serial number were installed on the coach with the exception of major appliances (refrigerator, AC unit etc...)

Second, the awning manufacturer, Dometic, failed to include an important step in the installation steps for the motorized awning. In their recall notice they stated that improper installation and wiring connections could result in undesirable deployment of the awning and in rare circumstances the awning deploying when driving.

Third, Dometic notified Forest River who couldn't determine which coaches had the improperly installed awnings because, unlike Thor, they didn't track them by VIN so Forest River took no action to notify customers of potential problems.

Last year, while returning from a 4th of July trip my awning deployed at 55 mph on Interstate 95. Luckily I was close to my exit and only 6 miles from the house. After some research I found the recall, talked to Dometic and they verified my awning was one of the units under recall. It took 2 months (summer season) before the coach could get into a shop to have the awning replaced and the coach sidewall repaired. The awning deployed with such force that it ripped 3 of the 8 mounting bolts out of the side wall.

Challenge for today, try getting a 16 foot awning tube and motor (they do not bend) inside a class C motor home for transporting. Mine hung out the partially open door for 6 miles going down back roads.

Black tank flush. The black tank flush is used to flush the junk out of the black tank when draining. It attempts to clean the residue off of the tank sensors. Again on my Forest River the black tank flush stopped working 3 times due to a plugged nozzle. After the third failure I did some research and found the solution was to over drill the hole in the nozzle by 1/32 inch. I bought a new nozzle drilled it out, installed it and never again had a problem. Although not a major problem it was always one of those "not again" issues.
Here is an update on my slide being jammed after only owning the new motor home for 8 days.
Evidently in 2015 the manufacturer of the slides Thor uses decided to add a safety feature build into the floor of all the slides. A T-Shaped solid white heavy plastic that will force the slide from not deploying in the event of a roll over. If they are not perfectly aligned with in a u rail you have the problem that happened to mine. In order to fix the problem they have to remove the water tank and then get in from underneath. Even the head shop foreman at the dealer didn't know this has been added. Now I wait for 5 more days as its going to take a day for there top mechanic to work on it.
At least they figured out the problem.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:57 AM   #42
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorde View Post
Here is an update on my slide being jammed after only owning the new motor home for 8 days.
Evidently in 2015 the manufacturer of the slides Thor uses decided to add a safety feature build into the floor of all the slides. A T-Shaped solid white heavy plastic that will force the slide from not deploying in the event of a roll over. If they are not perfectly aligned with in a u rail you have the problem that happened to mine. In order to fix the problem they have to remove the water tank and then get in from underneath. Even the head shop foreman at the dealer didn't know this has been added. Now I wait for 5 more days as its going to take a day for there top mechanic to work on it.
At least they figured out the problem.
It's unfortunate that you had the problem. However, it is nice knowing about this safety feature.

Thanks for the update.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #43

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
...Thor is running on 33% right now.
The reality is far worse, but that's a good number to release to the public.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 AM   #44

Model: Challenger ND
State: Alberta
THOR #2489
Here is one for you. My 2015 Challenger ND does not have any sun visors. Is that the same with anyone else. Dave? Willis?
Daryl
Old 07-30-2015, 02:25 AM   #45
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Here is one for you. My 2015 Challenger ND does not have any sun visors. Is that the same with anyone else. Dave? Willis?
Daryl
Daryl

That is correct. My Challenger has no sun visors. The power shade in the front will lower about 12 - 18 inches and serves as the sun visor when driving.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #46

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
....A T-Shaped solid white heavy plastic that will force the slide from not deploying in the event of a roll over.....
If your coach is prone to rolling over, the slide deploying is actually the least of your problems. In fact, if the slide(s) is/are deployed once it starts to roll it may prevent it from continuing to roll uncontrollably.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #47

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
If your coach is prone to rolling over, .....cut.....
"If" prone to rolling over? Which ones aren't?

I'm aware of a few like the Classic GMC which are low relative to width, and with a much lower center of gravity that would make them more stable than most, but the average coach today would roll easily on dry pavement before sliding.

The other day on the news they showed a police car tapping the rear bumper of a Ford E-Series standard van, and as soon as the rear shifted a little to one side it flipped over instantly. I showed my wife as a reminder of why it's not a great idea to drive our camping van like if it were our minivan.