Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
2015 Challenger 37ND Shakedown - slide dead

Started the shakedown last Thursday. Enjoyed it so much we decided to extend the trip. Left NC and went to Charleston, SC. Got to the campground and the living room slide went out about 6 inches and froze. Slide controller is flashing 8 for short in the wiring. Tried the override to retract the slide and it came in an inch before stopping again. The slide worked fine in NC and I even retracted it twice to get rain water off the topper. The other two slides work fine with no indications of trouble.

I called Thor and they need an estimated cost to approve a mobile tech. Called a mobile tech and then tried calling Thor back and they were closed.

The mobile tech will be here this morning to check out the system.

The only other problems on the shakedown are:
a small leak at the kitchen sink drain.
radio and rear camera turn off by themselves while driving over rough surface roads. This might be a loose wire.
Everything else is working fine

More to follow, I'm sure

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
So that promised 24/7 support is really not true?

Thor should just supply a tech on your maiden voyage as part of the sales package.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
Thor should just supply a tech on your maiden voyage as part of the sales package.
The tech should be camping with you on your maiden voyage!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Yea, that is what I mean.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Slide problem fixed. Talked to a Thor tech who had me check a couple of things then authorized the mobile tech. The MT found a motor unplugged because the cable is not secured preventing movement. Also found the bulb seal which normally serves as the wire chase is missing. The MT. secured the wire with tape to prevent movement until the bulb seal can be installed.

FYI, I talked to 3 Thor techs of which 2 suffer from the ID 10 T error. Thor is running on 33% right now.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The tech should be camping with you on your maiden voyage!
In the same model coach straight off the line.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
In the same model coach straight off the line.
If that was the case they would be so busy fixing that one that they wouldn't have time to fix yours!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #8

Model: Challenger/37ND
State: Texas
THOR #1706
OMG nooooo.... I always feared about the sides not retracting. I thought there was a manual override (you know with the ??? wrench and such) but haven't found where you use it yet (saw their video online). It's a good thing that I am retired and can wait for the assist if it ever comes. I best pack triple the food then lol.
2015 Thor Challenger 37ND
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:43 PM   #9

THOR #1706
I had no problem actually driving our coach from Ft Worth down to Corpus. No problems were noticed except what we thought were squeaky front/side windows. However on the 2nd shakedown so to speak we had squeaks everywhere in the front. Turned out to the be overhead bed above the driver's area. A cheap throw away cig lighter fixed the squeaky bed frame. But it shouldn't be like that. I'm still concerned about the usb ports not working and the dash radio went dead. I need my radio and the cams we paid for to work. Oh watch out is S Texas for road kill. I could not move in time and a deer hit me, it did miss an 18 wheeler. Its mush but I had three damaged storage doors that cost 11 thousand to fix. Still waiting that to be fixed. Dang. /Mikey
Old 03-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
OMG nooooo.... I always feared about the sides not retracting. I thought there was a manual override (you know with the ??? wrench and such) but haven't found where you use it yet (saw their video online). It's a good thing that I am retired and can wait for the assist if it ever comes. I best pack triple the food then lol.
The override only works if both motors still function. Since only one of mine functioned Thor authorized the mobile tech. I called the tech Monday evening and he was here at 10 am Tuesday. By 10:30 he was gone with problem fixed and receipt sent to Thor. No extra food required.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
I had no problem actually driving our coach from Ft Worth down to Corpus. No problems were noticed except what we thought were squeaky front/side windows. However on the 2nd shakedown so to speak we had squeaks everywhere in the front. Turned out to the be overhead bed above the driver's area. A cheap throw away cig lighter fixed the squeaky bed frame. But it shouldn't be like that. I'm still concerned about the usb ports not working and the dash radio went dead. I need my radio and the cams we paid for to work. Oh watch out is S Texas for road kill. I could not move in time and a deer hit me, it did miss an 18 wheeler. Its mush but I had three damaged storage doors that cost 11 thousand to fix. Still waiting that to be fixed. Dang. /Mikey
I hope to winter in South Texas this year. Roadkill is why I try not to travel after dark. I have hit too many deer wit cars (3) and they do cause damage.

My radio and camera died a couple of times during the trip but came back on when I hit the power button. I believe the dash USB comes off the radio so a loss of power to the radio will kill the power to that port. I plan to remove the radio and look for a loose wire before going 150 miles for repair.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
Keep an eye on the cables. They should be secure and out of the way of moving parts. They have been the source of issues earlier on in the schwintek life cycle. Also, some folks have rerouted the cables out of the bulb seal so they aren't smashed when the slide is open. I haven't done this yet, but am seriously considering it.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #13

THOR #1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I hope to winter in South Texas this year. Roadkill is why I try not to travel after dark. I have hit too many deer wit cars (3) and they do cause damage.

My radio and camera died a couple of times during the trip but came back on when I hit the power button. I believe the dash USB comes off the radio so a loss of power to the radio will kill the power to that port. I plan to remove the radio and look for a loose wire before going 150 miles for repair.
You're lucky the power button worked. Mine didn't, it remained on with nothing working. lol. But I do know that they ordered me a new radio so at least they are looking it over (thanks to emails with Campers World in New Braunfels). Good luck/Mikey
Old 03-28-2015, 11:48 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Shakedown cruise has come to an end. 927 miles, three campgrounds and travelled a circle through three states. I experienced high winds, driving rain and coming hoe today, snow in Virginia.

Problems noted were the kitchen sink leak which I tightened the drain connections, the radio keeps loosing power and the issue with the slide cable coming unplugged due to not being secure.

All in all I am very pleased and have another trip scheduled for mid April where I will have the Escapees group do a 4 corner weighting of the coach.

During this trip I rallied with my FMCA chapter, helped another camper, toured Charleston SC and relaxed.

Since one of my warranty concerns (a divot in the floor) seems to have disappeared I may reconsider taking the coach in for service. At this time the cost of fuel to the service center and back would be more than the cost of parts to fix a few items. I do need to check out the radio issue because it has an impact on the rear camera while driving. Hopefully it is just a loose wire.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #15

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Virginia
THOR #1032
Glad to hear things went well on your shakedown. We are still waiting to get ours back from Safford. They are having a problem getting the AGS figured out.
wanewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanewton View Post
Glad to hear things went well on your shakedown. We are still waiting to get ours back from Safford. They are having a problem getting the AGS figured out.
Have you posted a thread explaining the issue. Someone may have encountered the same issue before and have some insight on the solution.

I was supposed to take mine to Safford today but yesterday during the after trip walk around I noticed a rock chip on the windshield. I want to have that repaired by Safelite tomorrow and let it sit for a day or two before making that trip at I 95 speeds. I don't need a chip turning into a safety inspection failing crack.

Since my warranty items are relatively minor I'm going to call Thor and ask if they will send me the bulb seal for the slide and I'll install it myself. I also need to ask them what they are planning to do about the recalled fire extinguisher. Other than that I can't justify the 20 gallons of gas for a round trip to Safford's shop, especially when they can't or won't tell me when they'll work it into the shop or get the work finished.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
I also need to ask them what they are planning to do about the recalled fire extinguisher.
This was a few years ago, but I had a Kidde disposable marine fire extinguisher on a boat that had overpressure (reading in the red above the green), probably from filling it too much. It was within the warranty period and they sent me a new one on my word without having to return the old one.

I bet if you contact Kidde directly, they will take care of you - and you can avoid the trip as well as the hassle of dealing with a dealer and Thor.

Recall: Kidde XL Fire Extinguishers
Old 03-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
This was a few years ago, but I had a Kidde disposable marine fire extinguisher on a boat that had overpressure (reading in the red above the green), probably from filling it too much. It was within the warranty period and they sent me a new one on my word without having to return the old one.

I bet if you contact Kidde directly, they will take care of you - and you can avoid the trip as well as the hassle of dealing with a dealer and Thor.

Recall: Kidde XL Fire Extinguishers
FW

I kind of have an ulterior motive here. I have talked to Thor about the fire extinguisher issue and I want to see how they plan to handle the problem. The Thor customer service rep is supposedly talking to a person in Thor's recall department so we'll see if they issue a recall.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #19

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Virginia
THOR #1032
The dealer won't do anything about the fire extinguisher. I mentioned it and they said they couldn't find anything on it. So while I was sitting in the showroom, I went online and ordered the new one. Not a big issue to go through kidde's web site and not really a Thor issue I don't think.
wanewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
FW

I kind of have an ulterior motive here. I have talked to Thor about the fire extinguisher issue and I want to see how they plan to handle the problem. The Thor customer service rep is supposedly talking to a person in Thor's recall department so we'll see if they issue a recall.
So you are kind of wanting to mess with their head then...

Just remember the Goldfish Factor.