Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #181

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjonoki View Post
Hello all. I'm new to this post and have question: Has anybody lived off the grid in their Thor Axis and if so, how long did it last until you had to go back for supplies.
We went one week with 2 people and 2 dogs. The water supply was very low upon departure.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #182

State: Washington
THOR #4371
Thanks TyCreek! Has anyone ever thought of a compost toilet or maybe has one that could talk about it in detail?
Old 05-27-2016, 11:09 PM   #183

THOR #1944
FWIW... I'd estimate well under 20% of our water usage goes to toilet duties. Not worth composting IMO...
Old 05-28-2016, 01:55 AM   #184

State: Washington
THOR #4371
I wonder if it would be worth not having the hassle of dumping the black tank. I've heard the compost toilets can go up to a month without cleaning. I haven't purchased an RV yet but I'm gathering as much info as I can. Love the Axis 25.4 for my needs. 2017 look awesome!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:39 AM   #185

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The shower and shower curtain are a real improvement both in looks and usefulness.
I really appreciated your coach comparison! Having experienced both model years gives you very valuable insight. Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind, I would like to get your opinion on the shower head. Did you change yours out? If so, do you have a recommendation? Our 2017, 24.1 shower head is ok but I feel like it could be improved and I have long thick hair , I would like all the shower water pressure I can get!

Thanks
Old 07-02-2016, 01:33 AM   #186

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I have had the oxygenitics shower head in my last three RVs. Better water pressure and less water usage. My wife can even wash her hair without complaining. I even installed one in my house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	2377  
Old 07-02-2016, 01:59 AM   #187

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Oneil,

More skin than hair, but I would like a bit more pressure on the shower head. Is the oxygenitics you mention the one available at CW?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:05 AM   #188

THOR #1765
Oxygenitics is the brand and they are sold in a variety of places. They make several different models. The model I posted from Amazon is the cheapest but they also sell two other models. I don't think the more expensive ones work any better, they are just made out if different materials. I don't know if CW sells it, but I would not be surprised.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:25 AM   #189

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Oneil,

Thanks for the info, will look around. DW loves Bed, Bath and Beyound.

BTW: Got the outside heater cover (less louvers) replaced today. See thread (Possible Defect in Ace, Axis and Vegas) elsewhere on the Forum.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:03 AM   #190
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I picked up the Camping World Oxy shower head its a huge improvement over the stock one.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #191

THOR #4184
Thanks for the Oyxgenics recommendation. I was wondering which model too and now I have something on my list to Santa this year.... now I just have to remember to be nice!

Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any difference in shower performance between using the freshwater tank/water pump and the city water hookup?
Old 07-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #192

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce View Post
Thanks for the Oyxgenics recommendation. I was wondering which model too and now I have something on my list to Santa this year.... now I just have to remember to be nice!

Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any difference in shower performance between using the freshwater tank/water pump and the city water hookup?
Personally, I never use the city water intake. Since I installed a clean dump waste disposal system, I do not use the regular waste hose and hook it up permanently. Since the water in the shower and kitchen sink goes into the grey water tank, I just wait for the fresh water to get down to a third and the grey tank to fill to two-thirds and then dump and fill. If I am at a site with full hookup, I can do it right there. Since I don't tow, it is one less disconnect/connect if I want to go somewhere. The only thing I have to disconnect is the electrical cord.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #193
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce
Yes and its the opposite of what I would expect: We get better water pressure using the on board pump vs the city water hookup.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #194

THOR #1765
That's interesting! And I have been fighting with DW for years because she wanted me to hook up to city water so she would get more water pressure. Now I wish I had done it previously. Next time out I will have to crumble and hook up to city water.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #195

THOR #4184
Thanks Guys, I agree it is interesting that the freshwater tank / water pump would provide a stronger shower. It seems like it should be the other way around. Just to clarify: Am I correct that the water pump is only used in pumping water from the fresh water tank and it is not used in anyway when city water is hooked up?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #196

THOR #4366
Since we keep the pump off when on city connection for us that would be correct.

So far have been off grid since we picked the coach up, jun 23, and things have gone well for us. We keep the fresh water tank at about 1/3. The toilet is only used during the night, maybe three times. We walk up to the outhouse for most of our toilet trips.
Heat water on the stove for washing hair and spit baths.
We have dumped once and the tanks weren't even half full.
So far two hundred watts of solar are keeping the house batteries up.

We shop for supplies once a week and do laundry at that time.

Looks like about 3 1/2 weeks before we need to look for propane.

Once we get done with all the warranty work and start our regular cycle of changing CG's we'll get a better idea. With our previous camper we went though a 20# of propane in 2 1/2 weeks, dump the 6 gallon black water once a week and supply runs were the same once per week.
Power wasn't a problem as we had 360 watts of solar to charge 210 Ah of house batteries. No gen set either.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #197

THOR #1944
On board water pump typically has about 50-55 psi pressure and can deliver 2.5-5 gpm depending on the model. I have observed city/park supply pressures from 25-150 psi though usually above 60 psi.

If city pressure is less than the pump ... it is most likely the pressure regulator. My non-adjustable regulators typically tested from 35-45 psi and some really killed gpm.

You can use both city and the onboard water pump. If your pump kicks on during water use it means the pressure or flow from the city inlet is not enough to keep the coach lines above the pumps turn-on pressure setting.