Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
2016 Axis 24.1 Impressions

I decided to start a new thread on my impressions of my 2016 Axis 24.1 that I purchased at the Tampa RV show and picked up last week. I'll divide this up into multiple posts so it doesn't get too long.

First, the purchase experience. My advice is, if you want to purchase a new RV go to an RV show. We went two days early and spend lots of time at local Thor dealers checking out the dealer and specific RV's. At the end of the second day, we actually made an offer (albeit not a truly serious one) and the dealer came back with $11K more than our offer. I told him, that was about where I thought we would be and we left amicably. After two days, we felt comfortable with both dealers (Axis and Vegas) and got a very good trade in offer (I thought) on my 2014 Vegas 24.1.

At the show we looked at every RV under 30' and after much discussion, decided that we liked what we had. We stopped into the Axis display at the show and the salesman who we really liked at the dealership was at the show. He told us to readdress our offer because the manufactures give the dealerships large incentives at the show. I was skeptical, but to my surprise the dealer knocked over $8K off his original offer and we signed a deal.

The salesman told us that at the end of the show the manufacture incentives are transferred to the next show and the dealers have difficulty making the show offer. At the show, Axis 24.1's were selling for $69.9 and Vegas 24.1 for $67.9.

Why did we purchase a new one if ours was one 22 months old -- I get asked this question all the time. My answer is that my Vegas had over 25,000 miles on it and for less than 25% of the cost of a new one (including taxes, title, etc.) I zeroed out the miles, got the new 6 Spd transmission, and we got the light wood interior (which we like a lot more) and the new bathroom doors. I think that I had used more than 25% of the useful life of the Vegas, so I thought it was a pretty good deal.

One last thought in this first post. I know Camping World has taken a lot of flack in this forum and I am not saying that those comments were not warranted. However, our experience with Camping World of Tampa was outstanding. They were very fair, did not push, and lived up to everything they promised. The walk thru was professional and thorough and they fixed everything that day so we could start home. Everyone at the dealership was extremely helpful and courteous.

I purchased my first car in 1965 and I have bought a ton of cars, trucks, motor boats, sail boats and four RVs and I am not easily impressed. But I was very impressed with Camping World of Tampa... I hope it lasts.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #2

THOR #1765
2016 Axis Improvements

Thor really seems to have listened to many of our complaints. In addition to the obvious improvements of the new transmission, new bathroom doors and upgraded radio, to name a few, they also moved the oil fill cap to the front of the engine - where it is easily accessible -- and dropped the engine battery tray so that it looks like you can change the battery without cutting the coach apart. The use/store switch for the house batteries really seems to work! In my Vegas, I had to add an additional on/off switch to the coach batteries so they did not discharge. In the 2016 Axis, the radio shuts off completely and is disconnected when the use/store switch is in the "store" position. I have a permanent digital readout for my house batteries and they seem to be remaining fully charged. The "store" really seems to store!
The shower and shower curtain are a real improvement both in looks and usefulness.
In addition, the overall fit and finish is far superior to my 2014 Vegas. I had one of the early ones and it was horribly finished. I loved my Vegas and drove it all over the US, Alaska and Canada (I know Alaska is in the US for all my Alaskan friends), but I spend weeks after I purchased it wrapping electrical and water connections, tying wiring and water lines down, etc, etc.. I was one of Thor's biggest critics. I loved the coach and hated the sloppy workmanship and lack of quality control. I am happy to say that the 2016 Axis is completely different. Having fixed all those things the first time, I was not going to have to do it again. To my great surprise, I did not have to. It had already been done. The number of things I found wrong on the Axis was very small. Even after crawling over it for a week, I find little or nothing to complain about yet.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
THOR #1249
Great report Oneilkeys. Makes me want to head on down to see about a trade in on my 2015. I have almost 19k on mine with two west coast trips and other places. The bathroom doors are a big improvement and have considered changing mine over to the two door config. if and when time allows.
Not sure my DW would go for a trade on a 2016 though after all the work I have put into this one.
After you take a trip let us know how it handles, mods, mpg etc.
Thanks for the report.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Thanks for a great report. It is great to see someone who can directly compare the earlier version to the current model. It seems Thor has addressed the issues that were so annoying to those with earlier models. That was my impression when I toured the assembly plant in early June, and our experience over 6K miles and about 60 nights.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Agree with oneilkeys impressions. Living in Tampa in actually got to spend a lot of time in his new RV. Ibtoo was impressed with the fit and finish and workmanship quality.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:25 AM   #6
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
THANK YOU ! Oneilkeys for your report on the 2016 Axis 24.1
We took delivery on ours yesterday...at CampingWorld Kansas City...having shopped since last Fall for a new motorhome. We kept going back to the Axis. We attended the RV Show in KC the first day...CampingWorld had the Axis 25.2 at the Show. We visited with the salesman, who treated us like we were the only people at the Show. We told him we were interested in the Axis 24.1 but wanted to drive it first, as we were accustomed to our Dorado on the E350 Chassis...Ford Front Class B+ ...3 days later we drove the Axis 24.1 and returned to the RV Show to make the deal. We got an impressive trade-in and with all the Show incentives, feel like we got a good deal.
I can re-confirm...CampingWorld has come a long way in customer service. We bought our Dorado from CW in Katy, Texas and it was a grueling day. Our experience with CW in Kansas City was, as promised, a 2 hour deal...from walk-through with the Pro to paperwork finalization. They acted like they cared about us ! We received an upgrade on our Good Sam membership to Elite (because we bought a new unit, I suppose)
an extra year on our RoadSide Assistance, etc. My husband drove the Axis home...about an hour...was very happy with it. As most of you know...the first thing you do is get the front end aligned on a new unit. Other than that...the workmanship, I repeat, is spot on...the new bathroom doors with the magnet closure/open positions are the correction needed from the previous track doors. The small vanity in the bathroom is a change, but...what do you do at the vanity anyway..brush your teeth and wash your face !! We are looking forward to the bed options...as we have climbed over each other and dealt with hide-a-beds long enough !! The towel rack on the door is a nice addition.
Something I want to call to your attention...there ARE electrical outlets in this RV !!! Many of them !!! The phone/tablet charging station in the bedroom is a good addition..3 tv's !! nice !! the work table at the passenger seat is, also a nice addition.
The radio is multi-functional I recommend downloading/printing several pages from the owners manual online to understand ALL there is to know about the unit.

In addition...a, virtually, silent air conditioner !!!

Thankyou THOR ! We think you nailed it !!

We are so excited to get out of town with this new RV.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:55 AM   #7

THOR #1765
Glad you had a good experience with your Camping World and with your Axis 24.1 and I hope you enjoy yours as much as we have enjoyed ours over the past two years. Looking forward to more posts from you and your experiences with your Axis. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 AM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post

....cut.... At the show, Axis 24.1's were selling for $69.9 and Vegas 24.1 for $67.9. ....cut....
Do Axis typically sell for higher price than Vegas? And were they equipped similarly with same options? I don't know if one is more upscale. Had assumed they were identical for most part.

Also, regarding show prices, do they offer the price on that unit on display only, or will they honor the price on identical stock elsewhere?

It also sounds like your $8,000 off was below the show price. Is that right? I know your trade complicates comparison, but do you sense they'll go some below show price?
Old 01-28-2016, 02:06 AM   #9

THOR #2121
P.S. -- How did 24.1 compare in price to other floorplans? Since they are smallest, are they also lower-price?
Old 01-28-2016, 02:22 AM   #10

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Do Axis typically sell for higher price than Vegas? And were they equipped similarly with same options? I don't know if one is more upscale. Had assumed they were identical for most part.

Also, regarding show prices, do they offer the price on that unit on display only, or will they honor the price on identical stock elsewhere?

It also sounds like your $8,000 off was below the show price. Is that right? I know your trade complicates comparison, but do you sense they'll go some below show price?
The list price on the Vegas at the show was $2K less than the Axis, but that really means little in the end, especially if you have a trade. The units are exactly the same except for the name, some colors and the headlights. The bottom line of the difference you pay between your trade and the new unit is what matters and that depends on your trade and whether you can negotiate not paying dealer prep and delivery charges among other things. My impression is that the show prices, especially for the lower price units in the line, are pretty low already. That is not to say that the dealer does not have several thousand dollars of wiggle room. It helps your negotiation if you can find a price lower than the show price before you go in. My experience is that many dealers will meet a lower internet price, if they can. Finally, being comfortable that the dealer will stand behind his product is worth several thousand dollars in the long run.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:25 AM   #11

THOR #1765
Quote:
P.S. -- How did 24.1 compare in price to other floorplans? Since they are smallest, are they also lower-price?
Sorry. I went into all the other Axis floor plans but I did not pay any attention to the price difference between the models or discuss any other model with a salesman at the show.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:10 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Axis and Vegas are twins, the only difference is in the exterior shading, interior fabrics and the side stripes.

You have to watch when comparing show prices between the two seeming identical Vegas and Axis models, at a show, and even the same unit at different shows. There aren't a lot of options, but they add up. You might find what looks like a better deal, only to find out one had outside TV and the bigger AC, and the other didn't.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:20 AM   #13

THOR #2121
Thanks. I'm planning in attending a small local RV show at a mall this weekend, and two larger shows in about 3 weeks -- one in Florida and another in Texas. I will pay close attention to how show prices compare by area. I'm also going to pay close attention to new 2016 build quality. The first few Axis we saw were discouraging. The bathroom door was broken within first couple of hours of show opening (human error but partly due to complicated design), another had bathroom wall coming off, and another the windshield cracked and slide trim had fallen off. I may have a hard time getting my wife to look at them again.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:43 AM   #14

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
New '16 Thor Axis 24.1 owner here. I have looked at quite a few internet posts and find that nothing is perfect when you are buying something with so many systems that are installed by so many different installers. Okay, that being said, it appears that my sewer drain was installed wrong. The drain is pointing horizontally instead of straight down into the sewer drain opening that has the large threaded cap covering it. Has anyone dealt with the same issue? So far, this issue and a very small piece of molding that the side slide-out hits on the exterior are all I can find.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
That sewer head rotates down hard to move at first.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #16

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
Probe cautiously under the sewer ring before attaching the sewer hose from underneath. On my 2015 Vegas 24.1 they used wood screws with razor sharp points to attach the sewer ring to the floor and I shredded up my hands reaching underneath to attach the hose. Since then I've replaced the screws with ones that are "finger friendly"
Old 01-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih View Post
Probe cautiously under the sewer ring before attaching the sewer hose from underneath. On my 2015 Vegas 24.1 they used wood screws with razor sharp points to attach the sewer ring to the floor and I shredded up my hands reaching underneath to attach the hose. Since then I've replaced the screws with ones that are "finger friendly"
Mine had those same screws and my hand looked like an agitated cat got hold of it after the first couple of times. I used a grinder to take care of the sharpe points. Think there were about 6 of them.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #18

THOR #1765
Quote:
Thanks. I'm planning in attending a small local RV show at a mall this weekend, and two larger shows in about 3 weeks -- one in Florida and another in Texas. I will pay close attention to how show prices compare by area. I'm also going to pay close attention to new 2016 build quality. The first few Axis we saw were discouraging. The bathroom door was broken within first couple of hours of show opening (human error but partly due to complicated design), another had bathroom wall coming off, and another the windshield cracked and slide trim had fallen off. I may have a hard time getting my wife to look at them again.
Was the bathroom door the old large, hinged, double door or the new pocket doors that open one at a time? The new ones are a great improvement. The cracked windshield must have been one of the old large ones - I hope! I think (hope) they have solved that problem with the new window. It is unfortunate that a dealer will put a unit (or units) like that in a show. RVs take a lot of abuse on the open road and things will come apart. It is the little things that you notice (rightfull so) and it really takes a dealer little time to correct those flaws. Both the Axis and Vegas dealers at the Tampa RV show had obviously taken the time and effort to get their units ready for the show. It paid off. They sold 20 Axis at the show.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #19

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
New '16 Thor Axis 24.1 owner here. I have looked at quite a few internet posts and find that nothing is perfect when you are buying something with so many systems that are installed by so many different installers. Okay, that being said, it appears that my sewer drain was installed wrong. The drain is pointing horizontally instead of straight down into the sewer drain opening that has the large threaded cap covering it. Has anyone dealt with the same issue? So far, this issue and a very small piece of molding that the side slide-out hits on the exterior are all I can find.
If that is all you can find.... you got a good one! Have fun!
Old 01-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #20

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Axis and Vegas are twins, the only difference is in the exterior shading, interior fabrics and the side stripes.

You have to watch when comparing show prices between the two seeming identical Vegas and Axis models, at a show, and even the same unit at different shows. There aren't a lot of options, but they add up. You might find what looks like a better deal, only to find out one had outside TV and the bigger AC, and the other didn't.
And the headlights. That was the one thing that it took some convincing to get my wife to change from the Vegas to the Axis. Funny what some people find important. Our salesman said he got the same comment all the time.