Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #3436
2016 axis 24.1

We bought our 2016 Axis 24.1 on 1/14/2016 at Total Value RV in Elkhart, IN. A great group of people in sales, parts, and service departments. Their mottos .... 1) Buy em where they're built. 2) Come in as a stranger and leave as a friend.
They are just down the road from the Thor manufacturing plant, so our new RV had less than 40 miles on it.
They don't charge any add-on fees, except state sales tax.
We drove from GA to IN for the great deal and saved 1000's over what CW wanted.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I hate asking so many detailed questions, but I'm trying to visualize traveling in a 24.1 and how we may end up doing simple routine tasks. I hope to see one again today or tomorrow in much more detail.

I'm curious which area of kitchen and living ends up getting used most frequently as countertop for preparing meals? Limited space is a concern. Both with slide in and out if it makes a difference. I assume most don't put out slide for a quick lunch break on the road, but I may be guessing wrong.

For example, if making sandwiches or heating leftovers (mostly microwave for us), do you use table in front of couch as an extension of work area? If so, do you set up table just to add work space? I recall many couples eat in cab area so table area should be available.

Is it a given that the extension in front of door will likely be used? Does it block access to get in and out? I'm going to check if I can squeeze through door with extension up. Is it easy or too tight?
Old 01-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #43

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Sometimes we stop in a rest area to prepare lunch. We use the counter extension beside sink. Never extend slide then. Never use table in front of the couch. Only used the table once. It is stored away in garage as is the other table and legs. We use folding wooden trays to eat on at campgrounds. I would seriously consider the booth instead of the couch. My attempt installing a booth when I have to much time to spare.
I can squeeze by the counter extension when it is up, but have to enter with my right side first to keep and eye on the coffee pot and not tip it.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #44

THOR #3436
Without the slide open, you cannot use table in front of coach. We leave table stored and use folding tv trays.
With slide in, there's enough room to sit on coach and cook in kitchen and move to back bedroom area.
There isn't a lot of counter space for food prep. They may sell a cover for the sink. The fold down counter blocks the door. You may squeeze by, but would probably knock something on it off.
We are using back bed as 2 twins. That makes more space to move around. Then can use twins as coach to sit/lay and eat or watch tv.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #45
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We also use the countertop extension when stopping for meals while on the road. We first do all the "outside" stuff (going to restroom, short walk, etc.) then return, prop up the counter extension and make the meal.
Since the range also has a cover we'll do some preparation there--if the microwave is required we'll fire up the genny.
Don't use the tables while we're on the road--takes too much time to setup (likewise too much time to extend/retract the slide as well).
When we've overnighted at a rest area I believe we extended the slide--had to to be able to drop the front bunk down all the way (to get the bunk all the way down you have to recline the front seats slightly--can't do that with the slide in for the driver's chair). Although you can turn the drivers chair sideways and recline it that way to drop the bunk down without having to extend the slide.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #46

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Chance - we also use the side extension and we have a thin wooden cutting board we use on the range cover. We have yet to use the stove burners. I'm able to slide past the extension to get in and out and I'm not exactly svelte. We never use the large table, it takes up too much space. We eat at the side table between the captain chairs with the long side of the oval toward the chairs. We also never bother opening the slide for quick stops.

My wife and I find the space in the 24.1 ideal for use. But we are minimalists and don't need a 42 ft coach with 6 slides, travertine floors, hot tub, 80 inch tv and walk in refrigerator. We are camping after all...
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #47

THOR #2121
Thanks for feedback. If table can't be set up with slide in, and most don't extend slide out for short breaks, then it confirms my assumption that a dinette would be more practical for us, particularly if like the one in 25.3's floorplan. Plus we occasionally need forward-facing seats.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #48

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Chance/ We prefer using both tables if we're going to be at the same campsite for a few days as it usually gives us more room for meals or extra space to lay things on. If were only going to be camping for a couple of days, we will usually just put the smaller table up and eat from there.

We always use the counter extension and find it quite handy for the coffee pot or just extra space. It's not too difficult to get to go in or out the door with it up once you get used to it.

Randy (Groswald) made some real nifty Velcro covered wood hold down knobs that attach to the bottom of the extension and side of cabinet to keep the counter from banging around while driving that work really well. Thanks again Randy!!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #49

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I hate asking so many detailed questions, but I'm trying to visualize traveling in a 24.1 and how we may end up doing simple routine tasks. I hope to see one again today or tomorrow in much more detail.

I'm curious which area of kitchen and living ends up getting used most frequently as countertop for preparing meals? Limited space is a concern. Both with slide in and out if it makes a difference. I assume most don't put out slide for a quick lunch break on the road, but I may be guessing wrong.

For example, if making sandwiches or heating leftovers (mostly microwave for us), do you use table in front of couch as an extension of work area? If so, do you set up table just to add work space? I recall many couples eat in cab area so table area should be available.

Is it a given that the extension in front of door will likely be used? Does it block access to get in and out? I'm going to check if I can squeeze through door with extension up. Is it easy or too tight?

Here's an idea, take some painters tape and tape your home kitchen counter with the approximate counter area of the coach you are considering. Do another area for the size of the table. If you do gourmet cooking with 20 ingredients, you're going to be cramped. If you aren't using the stove top, you can use the cover for counter space. You could cover the sink if you can get along without it.

The limited counter in the 24.1 was one of many reasons we chose the 25.2. Our coach fits us, but it is clearly a matter of personal preference. Good luck on your search. Looks like a good weekend to be in Florida!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #50

THOR #2121
The local WPB RV show at the outlet mall was a total waste. Last year I attended a show there with many new motorhomes, including Axis and Vegas. I guess the annual RV show at the fairgrounds should have them in a couple of weeks.

The only thing of minimal interest to me was a compact Dometic flush glass-top 2-burner stove in a trailer that would work nicely for us in an Axis. Thor should make that an option since they already use it in other small motorhome models.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #51

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Here's an idea, take some painters tape and tape your home kitchen counter with the approximate counter area of the coach you are considering. Do another area for the size of the table. If you do gourmet cooking with 20 ingredients, you're going to be cramped. If you aren't using the stove top, you can use the cover for counter space. You could cover the sink if you can get along without it.

The limited counter in the 24.1 was one of many reasons we chose the 25.2. Our coach fits us, but it is clearly a matter of personal preference. Good luck on your search. Looks like a good weekend to be in Florida!
Thanks, great idea. Not to be critical of 24.1, it's just a matter of fact that there is very little counter space. It's even less than on some Class Bs. And much less than we had in a 23-foot Class C.

We certainly don't do gourmet cooking, but I've observed how much room my wife takes up even with simple breakfast. Between the coffee maker, cups, bowls, containers of fruit, OJ, etc. it adds up. Granted we can adjust to available space by doing fewer things at once.

Yeah, weather is finally great after a couple of bad days. I had to drive my wife to Fort Lauderdale airport yesterday morning and my parents to doctors' appointments the morning before in the downpour. We had over 4-inches in one day. Not fun when they move very slowly.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:25 PM   #52

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
2016 Axis noise levels and insulation

I think my link got hijacked (just kidding, some really good discussions) but I will continue with my first impressions of my new 2016 Axis 24.1. This post will concentrate on noise levels and engine insulation. My 2014 Vegas was extremely noisy when I first got it, registering 85 db at 65 mph on the interstate. Turned out that Thor had put virtually no insulation between the engine and the passengers and had left the window pillars open in the engine compartment. When I removed the "dog house" (engine cover) there was no insulation at all. Using 15 sq ft of engine insulation and cooling mat, I was able to get the db level at 65 mph down to a little less than 80 db and significantly lowered the heat transfer from the engine to the coach.

The 2016 Axis had been improved in this area and the db level at 65 mph on our trip home was around 80 db, or about what I was able to get my Vegas down to. When I pulled the dog house today (see picture) I found that a good piece of insulation had been added. In addition another piece of insulation had been added in the engine compartment just forward of the dog house. Unfortunately, that insulation covered less than half of wall between the back of the engine and the dog house. In addition no insulation at all had been added to the walls between the front of the engine and the passenger compartment. It does look, however, that there is an additional wall in the front of the engine between the dashboard and the engine compartment. That does provide some additional insulation.

I added 15 sq ft of noise and heat insulation in the engine compartment. A little went in the dog house, a little more to finish insulating the back of the engine compartment from the passenger area and most to the front of the engine on the fire wall and beneath the dashboard.

Thor did hear the complaints and did something to try and improve the noise levels. Unfortunately, it was very limited and helped only a little. We will see if the additional 15 sq ft of insulation (cost $50) lowers the noise and heat levels much further
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1362  
Old 01-29-2016, 11:53 PM   #53

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #1971
Thanks Oneilkeys for your 2016 impressions. Sounds like Thor is really refining the 24.1 design. This design really fits our travel style and would like to think it would be even better when we are ready to move to a newer unit.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:02 AM   #54

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I think my link got hijacked (just kidding, some really good discussions) but I will continue with my first impressions of my new 2016 Axis 24.1. ....cut...
Guilty as charged. My apologies.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:13 AM   #55

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Guilty as charged. My apologies.
No apologies necessary. I love the discussions and information that I gain from them. It is incredible how much I have learned on this forum in the last two years. Keep posting.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:45 AM   #56

THOR #1765
Engine compartment and water pipe and electrical tie down

To continue my impressions of the 2016 Axis, I spent the better part of yesterday in the engine compartment from the front and the rear (dog house). For all of you who followed the transmission cable snafu, you will be happy to hear that my new Axis looks very different in the engine compartment compared to my old Vegas. I already addressed the insulation issue. In addition, all the cables in the engine compartment are well tied down and routed so they cannot come near the engine manifold. Unlike my Vegas where I spent hours taping electrical connections and tying down cables and wires, I did none of that in the Axis. It is a very clean and professional installation. The same goes for the water pipe installation and cable runs under the passenger side bed. Everything was clean, tied down and bundled and the water pump was correctly installed. Even the access from the main TV to the cabinet above the sink (where the DVD goes) was easy. I installed a Blu Ray/DVD/USB player and it works well. I was even pretty happy with the TV sound and think I will hold off on purchasing a Blue Tooth transmitter to connect the TV to the audio system. I may do that later.

I have been very happy with my first impressions of the Axis. I just hope it treats me as well on the road as my Vegas did over 25,000 miles. Next on my list is a Clean Dump installation -- it arrives on Monday.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:12 AM   #57

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Axis 24.1 rear skids

FYI,
I have a driveway that inclines up from the street level. A few times going up and down my driveway I was able to actually bend the right skid back to the tow bar... I had the angled skids cut off and had the heavy duty metal wheels with zerk grease fittings welded onto the bottom of my tow bar that came on the Axis.... So far so good on my driveway approach and exit. So far, with two weekend outings, this rig has been great. Getting about 8-9 MPG.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:18 AM   #58

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Would it be possible to post some pictures of the Velcro hold downs for that fold down counter that bangs around?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #59

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Oneil,

Okay, Thor may be listening; but how about the House Batteries? Are they still using Harris Batteries and the same WFCO converter?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #60

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Oneil,

Okay, Thor may be listening; but how about the House Batteries? Are they still using Harris Batteries and the same WFCO converter?

Doc
They are not using Harris batteries any more at least not the same ones that were in my Vegas. I swapped my two new batteries out into my new Axis, so I cannot tell you exactly what make they are installing. I don't know if the WFCO converter is different, but mine seems to be working well, unlike the one in my Vegas.

I am beginning to have a little sympathy for Harris' position that it is not their batteries, it is partly Thor's fault. I replaced my Harris batteries last spring to go to Alaska and my Walmart 29's worked well. Since I got home, I noticed that they were not fully recharging - only would hold at about 12.5v. After switching them to the new Axis, I noticed yesterday that they now seem to be holding at 12.8v. I am not saying that the Harris batteries are great..... But.... I am beginning to wonder....