Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
More on isolation: Ford van does have the body isolated from the frame with rubber mounts. Some class C motorhomes make their body to use all of the isolation mounts ( Phoenix Cruiser is one ) - the Vegas/axis uses the rubber isolator between the front "structure" of the stripped chassis, but directly welds the body to the frame at other points - which is a shame, since completely rubber isolating the body from the chassis would really help. Don't think it would be practical to try to rework a Vegas/Axis to use all the rubber mounts.

After all the stuffing in my 2015 Vegas, road noise is now the biggest issue !

Oneilkeys - can you find a part number on your new shower curtain? I found the manufacturer name at the RV show, but can't find it in their online catalog. Looks to be a great upgrade, and I figure it will be a lot cheaper from the manufacturer rather than Thor !

Old 03-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #82

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Stan -- what are the special qualities of the shower curtain you asked Oneilkeys about? We replaced ours with something heavier so that it doesn't stick to your body, and we did not hang the beige outer curtain. My wife is looking for something better though.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #83

THOR #1812
Sorry - I meant shower curtain ROD. The new Vegas/Axis uses a rod to hold the shower curtain rather than a trac on the ceiling. Rod also holds the curtain further out from your body. While I did not take a shower at the Tampa show ( ), it looks like a much better solution!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #84

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
... well Stan, that would have definitely been a Kodak moment at the RV show!!!

I've seen L shaped rods; however, I could not figure out how you would support the L (from the ceiling) and still be able to slide the curtain on the rod.

Oneilkeys -- want to share a picture on how yours is mounted?
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #85
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
... well Stan, that would have definitely been a Kodak moment at the RV show!!!

I've seen L shaped rods; however, I could not figure out how you would support the L (from the ceiling) and still be able to slide the curtain on the rod.

Oneilkeys -- want to share a picture on how yours is mounted?
From what I have seen it appears to not be a rod per se but rather a piece of about 1/8 or 1/4 x 1 1/2 flat metal bar that is curved around the shower. This would allow using multiple screws on the ends for support and possibly eliminating a center support from the ceiling.

Again this is from what I have seen in pictures.

Quite possibly something like this with a similar mount

http://www.amazon.com/ARC-Curved-Sho.../dp/B000B6NZB4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #86

THOR #1812
Yep-the "rod" is sort of oval shaped in section, supported with multiple fasteners at the ends - no center support. Maybe the lucky 2016 owners will give us a picture......
Old 03-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #87
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
2016 Axis 24.1 shower
Here ya go ! We have not been on the road in our new Axis, however, I stepped in the shower...I am 5'8"..med size..I can comfortably take a shower. If I have a problem with the curtain,(which is 2 ply) I will replace it.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	shower c.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1478[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower a.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1476   Click image for larger version

Name:	hower b.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1477  

Old 03-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #88

THOR #1812
Thanks,vkb-looks like Amazon rod linked above ! Will have to get one of those !!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #89
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Stan..it appears to be a sturdy setup. Please post photos when you do the mod.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #90

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Stan, the Amazon only has an 8"arc to it.

I contacted CW of Statesville and they need a part number or the VIN that the new shower curtain is in. They will work with the picture and try to come up with a part number.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #91

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
The shower works much better than the old one in the Vegas. We put Velcro on the back of the shower curtain and the wall and there was no water on the floor when we used the shower the weekend.

Bed Bath and Beyond has replacements.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1480  
Old 03-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #92

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan fowler View Post
More on isolation: Ford van does have the body isolated from the frame with rubber mounts. Some class C motorhomes make their body to use all of the isolation mounts ( Phoenix Cruiser is one ) - the Vegas/axis uses the rubber isolator between the front "structure" of the stripped chassis, but directly welds the body to the frame at other points - which is a shame, since completely rubber isolating the body from the chassis would really help. Don't think it would be practical to try to rework a Vegas/Axis to use all the rubber mounts.

After all the stuffing in my 2015 Vegas, road noise is now the biggest issue !

....cut....
I agree, it's not practical to rework the structure to add isolators after the fact. For traditional E-Series-type isolators to work (commonly used on body-on-frame construction), the Axis/Vegas body structure would have to be built as a stand-alone unit that could be bolted to the E-Series' stripped chassis. Obviously that's not the case.

However, having said that, since most vibration and noise starts at the road surface, there are other forms of isolation that could be applied if someone wanted to spend enough money. The first one that comes to mind is replacing the suspension with air. Better tires and shocks may help a little too. But in the end it's a truck chassis riding around on 80-PSI-rated tires so it's not going to ride like a car or newer van.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #93

THOR #1765
Sorry there is no part number that I can find on the shower rod in my Axis. It does have a Crescentsuite trademark, but no part or model number.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1481  
Old 03-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #94

THOR #1812
Thanks,Oneilkeys - that was the manufacturer I wrote down. Still looks to me the Amazon link part will work- with a little careful bending....

Glad you are enjoying your new Axis - your post makes me wish I had made the deal for the new Vegas.....
Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #95
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
When I posted the Amazon link I only looked at one possibility. If you google curved shower curtain bar you will get a ton.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:06 AM   #96

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I agree, it's not practical to rework the structure to add isolators after the fact. For traditional E-Series-type isolators to work (commonly used on body-on-frame construction), the Axis/Vegas body structure would have to be built as a stand-alone unit that could be bolted to the E-Series' stripped chassis. Obviously that's not the case.

However, having said that, since most vibration and noise starts at the road surface, there are other forms of isolation that could be applied if someone wanted to spend enough money. The first one that comes to mind is replacing the suspension with air. Better tires and shocks may help a little too. But in the end it's a truck chassis riding around on 80-PSI-rated tires so it's not going to ride like a car or newer van.
I have to tell you that I am pleasantly surprised at the noise and vibration level in my new Axis. I did add a whole lot of insulation in the dog house and engine compartment, but I have done nothing to the body. I owned a Phoenix Cruiser on a Ford E-350 chassis prior to my Vegas and, while it was an excellent, well built coach, it was not as quiet at as the new Axis.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #97

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
2016 first impressions...

I recently picked up my 2016 Axis. I probably spent three months reading all about the issues with previous years. Thanks to passionate folks on these boards, I went into Camping World armed with information.

I've been going through the coach trying to find all the improvements and most of the issues were resolved.

However, there is still more to be done on the Axis/Vegas. Here is my list:

1. The sewer setup is just dumb. It is makes no sense.

2. The engine oil refill is still too far in...

3. The wiper switch is the worst...Why on earth would Thor put the wiper switch so low? Why not use an actual dial switch? Or why not put it back on the steering column? I'm actually thinking about raising the driver side arm rest and putting all the important switches there.

4. The radio screen is too small.

5. Overall insulation was a good attempt by Thor, but it still fell short. Thor would have more happy campers if they focused on making the coach quieter.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:41 AM   #98

State: California
THOR #3191
Any thoughts on what switch to use to shut off starting battery in the 2016 Axis?
Old 03-07-2016, 04:18 AM   #99

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #1971
I just put a knife switch on my chassis battery. Works well.

WirthCo 20138 Battery Doctor Battery Disconnect for Top Terminal
Old 03-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #100

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
I recently picked up my 2016 Axis. I probably spent three months reading all about the issues with previous years. Thanks to passionate folks on these boards, I went into Camping World armed with information.

I've been going through the coach trying to find all the improvements and most of the issues were resolved.

However, there is still more to be done on the Axis/Vegas. Here is my list:

1. The sewer setup is just dumb. It is makes no sense.

2. The engine oil refill is still too far in...

3. The wiper switch is the worst...Why on earth would Thor put the wiper switch so low? Why not use an actual dial switch? Or why not put it back on the steering column? I'm actually thinking about raising the driver side arm rest and putting all the important switches there.

4. The radio screen is too small.

5. Overall insulation was a good attempt by Thor, but it still fell short. Thor would have more happy campers if they focused on making the coach quieter.
1. Install a Clean Dump. It solves the problem.
2. At least it is possible. In my 2014, it was almost impossible to add oil.
3. Agree, they should have done something to the wiper switch. It is dangerous.
4. I didn't know that radios were even supposed to have screens? The back up camera is about the same size as in my Mazda.
5. Agree and I installed a bunch under the hood and "dog house". That being said, the 2016 is significantly quieter than the 2014.

It's not perfect, but it's better and a lot of fun!!!