Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #6050
2016 Challenger KT Loss of LP gas pressure

Last night we used our furnace to back up the electric heaters. Noticed that the furnace was blowing cold air. It's loosing LP pressure, it'll come on hot for about a minute then cools off. Checked the stove, it comes on strong then dies out, same thing the furnace is doing.
We have 2/3 tank of LP. The gas valve on the tank is fully open, any clues on what the problem may be?

Old 12-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Sounds like bad regulator. Short of replacing it the only thing I can suggest doing is to turn off valve at tank - light stove top burner and leave on till flame dies - then VERY slowly turn valve back to full on and test. Any other problem will be pretty rare.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Your gauge could be misleading you. I would consider having the propane tank filled, just to be sure.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Your gauge could be misleading you. I would consider having the propane tank filled, just to be sure.
Or maybe you can try the warm water trick to verify the quantity.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

THOR #6050
Thanks Laco. I'm pretty sure the lp level is good. I watched the dealer fill it up, outside and inside gauges both read the same. We've only used the RV about five times and have not used much gas. The first time we opened the tank valve to light the stove it took a while, let it sit for about thirty minutes then worked fine. I'm leaning more toward regulator or this new type valve on tank.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsc80 View Post
Thanks Laco. I'm pretty sure the lp level is good. I watched the dealer fill it up, outside and inside gauges both read the same. We've only used the RV about five times and have not used much gas. The first time we opened the tank valve to light the stove it took a while, let it sit for about thirty minutes then worked fine. I'm leaning more toward regulator or this new type valve on tank.
I am having the same problem. How was it resolved? I am heading to florida in a couple days, with a stop in Elkhart to have it looked at.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #7

THOR #6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
I am having the same problem. How was it resolved? I am heading to florida in a couple days, with a stop in Elkhart to have it looked at.
The regulator seems to have done the trick. Replaced the regulator, no more issues. Great spare part to carry with you, new one is about 40.00.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsc80 View Post
The regulator seems to have done the trick. Replaced the regulator, no more issues. Great spare part to carry with you, new one is about 40.00.
Thanks!