Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: South Carolina
THOR #3217
2016 Chateau 31L - tire inflation?

Hi,

I have a 2016 Chateau 31L. and have a TPMS - front tires inflated to 75 and back tires inflated to 85. I have read many discussions on tire inflation and found this great article. However, it involves weighing the RV and adjusting tire pressure per weight.

Have any other Chateau 31L owners weighed their RVs with typical load? wondering what you set your tire pressure to.

Here is the article:

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how...re-in-your-rv/

Thank you!
--jeri

Old 07-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrophy View Post
Hi,

I have a 2016 Chateau 31L. and have a TPMS - front tires inflated to 75 and back tires inflated to 85. I have read many discussions on tire inflation and found this great article. However, it involves weighing the RV and adjusting tire pressure per weight.

Have any other Chateau 31L owners weighed their RVs with typical load? wondering what you set your tire pressure to.

Here is the article:

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how...re-in-your-rv/

Thank you!
--jeri
The recommendation to weigh your rig is because everyone's 'typical load' is different... Setting your tire pressures based on someone else's weights could at best give you a harsher ride - or at worst have insufficient pressure for the weight and result in tire failure.

Adding the gear, gas, water, propane, and people you would normally travel with - and getting an actual weight is the best/safest way to do it..
CAT Scales (what i used and pictured in the article linked from your post) charges about $15 - at least when I last weighed in. Takes only a couple of minutes... There are 3 'platforms' - front axle on first, rear axle on second, and any trailer/toad axles on third.

My RV weight varies by the type and length of trip I take... For a 3+ month trip 'loaded for bear' - I am near max weight... (only know that from weighing it...) For a weekend near home - significantly less... (many tools stay home... less clothing, food, general stuff...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #3

THOR #3217
Thank you for the feedback, Greg.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
yep, everyone would be different
but to answer your question, yes, but I don't have my numbers handy. I can tell you my rear axle is at it's limit and the steer axle is a bit under.
I run 80 psi (maximum for the tire) in the rear and 70 psi front cold
based on the Michelin tire load chart that can be found online
....which i have learned from an engineer at Yokohama Tire (verbally) that these numbers are some standards published by the "Wheel and Tire Association" (I might have the name wrong) and apply to everyone's tires.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #5

THOR #3217
Thank you. Hope you are loving your Chateau - so far so good for us!
Old 07-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Yes, we still love the floor plan. It fits us well, and I am suprised taht it seems to have been discontinued. We've had issues, many major and even more minor ones....and I have had to fix far more things that I feel like I should have....and there are many areas, such as this weight issue, where I feel it's a poor design.....but even with all of that we are still enjoying it very much. Just home from a 5,200 mile trip in it