Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #4389
Thanks Elkoholic53,

I have owned other class C coaches and never had an issue. I always use the tank flush when dumping and I visually inspect the tank from the toilet pipe when dumping. Its always clear. It just seems that there is no "slope" to the tank. It dumps straight down from the toilet to the flat bottom of the tank. I guess with this model maybe I need to fill the black tank up with more water before initial use. I dump at home in my cleanout so I am never "rushed" and have plenty of time and water to clean the tank. I'll look at filling the tank with more water before each trip. Thanks for the help!!
I personally will not drop a deuce in the Rig but the females have total control and I am over ruled.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #122

THOR #4389
Elkoholic53,

RV tissue is all that is allowed in the RV. No regular TP ever. We are well stocked on that!
Old 01-11-2018, 12:13 AM   #123

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
After use make sure to run extra water in bowl before flushing. The tank is sloped but not by much. We have the same bath layout in our 31W . It took a bit but now we seem to get it to flush good. When we empty the tank though we always dump a small garbage can of water down the toilet to flush out the tank.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #124

THOR #4389
Thank You Druff,

After researching the "poop pyramid" I think we just need to use more water with this setup. I'll give it a try. Thank You all for your help with this.

On another topic of this coach, we found that the quality control is not great at Thor. here is a list of what we found after delivery took place.

1. first use with the coach plugged in to campsite we smelled smoke and found it coming from under the bed. Upon inspection the wires were melting due to a bad connection that almost burnt the coach to the ground.

2. drawer under dinette had NO latch at all and every time you turned it flew open. How did the delivery guy not notice this?

3.top doors above couch fly open on their own releasing everything inside.

4. Heater vents could be more spaced out, nothing in the back room to keep it warm if you close the doors.

Maybe it was just our coach that was put together by the laziest guy at the plant, but dang when you charge this much for a coach, it should be built right and not have these issues when delivered to the customer.
I would have taken it back again for these items to be fixed but Mike Thompson RV is a nightmare and will never step foot on their property again. I fixed the issues myself.
But all in all we love this setup. The walkthrough bathroom and bunks were the deciding factor for our purchase.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #125

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
At least your problems were fairly easy to fix, although the electrical problem is scary. I think all new RVs are going to have some initial issues to sort out, but they are obviously assembled as quickly and cheaply as possible, and in some areas the design is just bad.

I have a 2018 Chateau 31E, and I also had the issue with the compartment doors over the sofa coming open while driving. It didn't start happening until after a few months, though, which is strange. I installed some heavy duty magnetic latches to keep them shut.

Some of the other issues I had:
· Expanding foam crumbled in left side stowage compartment
o Applied new expanding foam and painted black
· Trim at front of slide was loose when new
o Glued/sealed with silicone adhesive
· Bottom of drawers popped out in kitchen and bedroom (poor design and construction that can't support any weight)

o Fixed drawers with glue and staples
· Hinges ripped out for stowage under bed
o Installed new screws
· Mud flaps in front of rear tires – supports ripped out.
o Used zip ties to secure flaps to frame

o Installed screws and covered with gorilla tape
· Water leaking from under slide
o Tightened leaking fitting on water heater
· Compartment doors over sofa come open while driving
o Installed magnetic latches

The radio display sometimes flickers, and sometimes I have water collecting in the light above the kitchen area when it rains. I haven't been able to track down the source of the water yet -- all the roof seals look good.

Overall, though, I think it's been a pretty good coach and we really enjoy it.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #126

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Alas, these seem like typical new coach issues. Vexing but at least easily fixed. And once these assembly bugs are fixed I expect you’ll find that your coach will give years of good service. Hope so anyway!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #127

Model: Chateau 31E
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
I'm tracking a water "leak" issue that is annoying. I get water inside the coach when the slide is pulled in. Its in the front of the slide and in the middle. It only leaks when it's raining, the slide is IN and we are in motion.

For some reason, the slide hits the trim up front when it's in. I think this is not letting it seal completely and letting water in the bottom of the slide. Anyone else have this issue? I've been looking at the pics of new coaches that are the same model as mine and it appears that they have eliminated the trim on the front and at the back they have moved it to the bottom. Seems like they know there's an issue.

I attached a photo of the issue (the front and the back where it doesn't hit).

mac 'looks like a QC issue' gyvr
I took the front trim piece off that the slide was stopping against and not sealing all the way. The problem now is that I can't get the slide to pull all the way in.

The slide isn't synced and the back of the slide is pulling in closer to the front of the slide. I'm sure it "learned" this with that trim piece in the way from the factory (how the crap the qc person missed it, I'll never know).

I've followed the instructions and tried to re-sync the slide several times. I can't get it. Anyone been successful in the sync?

mac 'wanted...sealed slide' gyvr
Old 04-13-2018, 02:35 AM   #128

THOR #7268
Start of a new year...

I know I have not posted in this thread in a while, but I wanted to follow up with one of my earlier posts, I just added my whole camper inverter today. So, now all my AC power on the coach runs through this inverter, when there is shore or generator power, it uses that, else it uses battery inverted power. I replaced my single original OEM POS battery with two 12v batteries.

This will allow the kids to run the TV and other electronics while the coach is in motion without having to run the generator.

For installation, I ran new 0/1 gauge wire from the batteries to the inverter. Then I took the AC wire coming out of the transfer switch into the inverter, then the output of the inverter to the breaker panel. This thing switches between battery and shore so fast, when I disconnect shore, the electronics do not even notice it, the manual says that it does it in 10ms.

Now we have power for while we are driving and also for boondocking. Based on conservative measures, I should have enough battery capacity for about a day. If I add solar, I should be able to get 2-3 days with a single 150w solar panel.

Matt
Old 04-13-2018, 02:37 AM   #129

THOR #7268
Flooring Question...

The one question I want to ask of other people is what they think of the flooring. I have two or three what seem to be nail pops under the flooring. Does anyone know, are these nails or screws? I have tried to gently pound them back in, but they do not budge, but I do not want to put too much force, but if they are screws, I will cut a small flap, screw back in and glue down the flap.

I also have several "soft" spots in the flooring. Is this normal for other people?

Thanks

Matt
Old 04-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #130

Model: Chatea 31E
THOR #5837
Matt,
Which inverter did you get? Where in the RV did you put it?

Also, where in MD are you? I'm in Howard County.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 04-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #131

State: Missouri
THOR #8784
I'm also interested in the inverter you used and where you located it. We don't boondock currently, but having AC power during a drive would be very useful.

re: soft spots in floor. I have notice a soft spot when standing at the bathroom sink. Also at the corner of the bed just after entering the doorway.

Rick...
Old 04-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #132

THOR #7268
Details...

I am using the AIMS Power 2000w pure sine inverter. I put it in the storage area under the master bed. This locates it right next to the other power connections and I was not using that storage right now anyways. I did install two pairs of fans to create an airflow in the compartment, I was having thermal issues before I did that. I ran the remote monitor up to the main door and put it above my other control panels. I ran new wires from the batteries back to the inverter, with a lot heavier gauge wire that can take the load.

My outstanding issue is that I can not get the AC to run while on the Generator. I think that this is because the inverter is seeing the signal from the generator as "dirty" and so it is trying to use batteries instead. There are some settings on the inverter to allow for lower voltage and lower frequency power that I am going to try and see if that will resolve the issue.

It is weird that after I plug in at the campground, I have to go check the inverter control panel to make sure it is connected and working since everything is already on. The other side benefit is that I will be using less propane while traveling because the refrigerator will be running on AC instead of GAS. But I did read that it is a big draw of power, so if you are trying to boondock, you need to make sure to run your fridge on GAS and not AC or it will drain your batteries fast.

We have a long trip planned for early summer that I look forward to really getting out and trying this configuration for a long trip.

I might try to add in some pictures, but there is not much to see, a large blue thing in a cabinet with wires going to/from it.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #133

THOR #7268
Did not think about that one...

After a weekend of camping and on the way home, we have everything running going down the road and the kids are watching a movie, then all the sudden everything in the back cuts out. I have no idea what happened. I pull over to take a look. It only took me a moment to figure out what was wrong, I had left the electric water heater on. So we had the fridge and water heater both running (using about 65% load on the inverter), and the alternator on the engine just could not keep up with all that load.

Now I need to add to my checklist of things to do before departing, make sure the water heater is off.

Does everyone out there have a checklist of things to check before departing? If so, I would love to know what you have on it.

We are still having issues while running the AC at the campground, the inverter is doing "something", and ends up over heating and shutting everything down. We are going to move the AC to a separate circuit that does not come off the inverter, thus dashing my dreams of being able to run the AC unit in back off the engine's alternator while driving down the road. But this should stabilize my configuration.

-Matt
Old 05-28-2018, 08:37 PM   #134

THOR #7936
I’m ready to install a 2nd ac and 50 amp service after this weekend...

mac ‘one ac is not enough’ gyvr
Old 05-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #135

THOR #6826
We just camped for a week in full sun. Only the mid 80s but the one AC barely kept up during the heat of the day and there is very little air flow to the bedroom end of the coach. I expect complaints from the better half next time out! I’d like to install a smaller unit dedicated to the bedroom and run it on a separate circuit that can plug into a campground 20A outlet. I’ve seen a compact 9,000BTU unit online but it costs as much as the 13,500 model so I’ll probably go with that. Does anybody have suggestions for hiding the Rolex along the ceiling. I’ve got about 18 inches to the nearest cabinet after which I can conceal it in a closet and then under the coach to the electrical compartment. I think I saw something about drilling through the foam roof insulation but I’d like to hear from someone whose actually done it! Thanks.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #136

THOR #6826
Sigh. That’s romex not a luxury watch. Darn spellcheck.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #137

THOR #7936
Installing the ac in the bedroom roof vent? Thats what I’m thinking. Initially I was thinking a separate cord for it, but I really think I want to just upgrade to 50amps, and run power to the panel. Theres room and access under the bed, the hardest part will be running the new drop cord...I think.

As far as hiding it, there should be room in the ceiling.

mac ‘I knew you meant Romex’ gyvr
Old 05-29-2018, 03:42 AM   #138

State: Colorado
THOR #10422
This is my first time RVing while dry camping. I purchased two additional batteries for my 2018 Thor Chateau 31y. Aside from using the generator, how do I run the electric systems directly from my batteries?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #139

THOR #7268
Running from Batteries...

THe 12v DC side of the camper should already run from the Batteries. For everything else, you need an DC-AC Inverter, see my post a page back. I recently installed an AIMS 2000w inverter and have my entire camper able to run off of it (minus the Air Conditioner). This is not an "easy" change, but it was something that makes my life easier.

Hope that helps, if you need more information, just ask.

-Matt
Old 05-29-2018, 07:33 PM   #140

THOR #7268
Has anyone else found that the "frameless" windows that they use do not allow for a lot of air into the coach from outside? I would rather have windows that slide open and have half the window open in some places rather than just tilt open. Anyone change anything on the emergency window in the back bed area, I would love to use that more, I am just not sure how best to screen it and make it easy to open while keeping it as an emergency exit.

I thought that I was just doing something wrong or my AC unit was not working correctly. Hearing that other owners are seeing the same thing in this coach makes me feel better. For now, I just do two things:
1) When I arrive after driving for a while, I put a cover to block off the drivers area, I found that there is a lot of engine heat that comes back from there. I take down the blanket the next day.
2) I have a shop fan that I use to move air around the coach while the AC is running. It does help even out the temperature. I think that the ceiling vents do not work well, so I prefer to use the main vents in the middle of the coach open and then use the fan to get it circulated.

Maybe next year I will look at the second AC unit. Trying to get wiring from the top of the camper down is one of those things that I am not looking forward too, but when I do, I will probably also wire for solar panels on the roof, since it will all be going to the same place. I have heard about installers just running a power line on the outside of the camper, I do not think that I would do that, but interesting.

We are headed to New England this summer, and hope that it will not be too hot up there.

Can't wait to see what you do.

-Matt