Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #161

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #8350
Yeah, sorry I just started getting email notices again out of the blue and assumed that there weren’t updates since I looked last a little while ago!

Old 06-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #162

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0868.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	18199

Happy Flag day (yesterday). We are enjoying the weekend and enjoying the two a/c’s!!!

mac ‘no nap time sweating!’ gyvr
Old 06-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #163

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
I am guessing you already have as I didn't read all 9 pages but if you haven't, sign up on the Thor factory site. It will give you a ton of info on your unit after you enter your VIN.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #164

THOR #7936
The factory door lock broke on a recent trip. I have to take it apart and dig the latch out to get the door open. Thankfully, Class C has doors up front or we would've been screwed.

Decided to replace it with this key less lock. I wish it would lock the handle wirelessly, but it only does the deadbolt. Still we are happy with it.

mac 'secure thyself' gyvr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yfhW7duq.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	18850  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #165

THOR #7936
I've hated the small bathroom fan since we bought the RV. So after a bunch of research, reviews, and comments on amazon, I finally pulled the trigger on a replacement fan that hopefully wouldn't require the replacement of the roof vent. I had pulled the rear roof vent off when I did the second a/c and didn't want to open up that can of worms again.

I settled on this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I pulled the old inside assembly down, realized that I was going to have to drill the rivets out that held the old fan, and then spliced the new one in with butt connectors with heat shrink. The new fan installed nicely and moves a ton of air. It's pretty inexpensive, so we will see how long it lasts. I want to do another one in the kitchen area over the stove. I did pull that cover off and it looks like there is 12 volts running through there.

mac 'blown away' gyvr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	w_UcK7Jg.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	18851   Click image for larger version

Name:	DOF-GeqB.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	18852  

Name:	7O4atfJA.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	18853   Click image for larger version

Name:	kn_K80z-.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	18854  

Old 07-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #166

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
SWEET on both mods/repairs!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:10 AM   #167

State: Maryland
THOR #7268
What AC unit did you end up using? I am looking at the "Dometic Polar White 13,500 BTU Conditioners B57915.XX1C0 Brisk Air Ii 13.5 Pw Upper Unit" on amazon, i am guessing that is what you used and then an inside ductless control?

Am I correct, that the whole in the roof for the vent was sufficient, you did not need to increase or change that at all, just bolt the new AC on top of that hole and then do the interior work and cable routing?

This has inspired me to look to doing the same change, the one AC unit just does not work with that size camper well. I have not had to od too much after I got my inverter installed.

Thanks for any information.

Matt
Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 AM   #168

THOR #7936
I did the Coleman Mach3 13.5K BTU Non-Ducted Black Air Conditioner - Roof&Ceiling Units from my12voltstore.com

In February it was the best deal.

The bedroom vent looked braced up enough to be able to handle the air-conditioner, so I didn’t do any further bracing of the roof structure. I also looked at a brochure for my specific RV, and found that it actually mentioned an optional rear air conditioner in the bedroom. So I figured that the roof was braced enough to be able to put the air-conditioner back there.

It works amazing. The bedroom can be chilled into an ice box. We put fans blowing from the back of the coach to the front and it helps the front ac keep up. On a recent trip the warmest it got was 72 degrees and it was 92 outside.

As mentioned in previous posts, I ran 12 gauge romex down the ceil brace to the cabinets and then down under the bed. There I brought in a 12 gauge extension cord that I cut the end off and tied to the romex in a junction box. For now I just plug into the 110 volt plug at the campground.

mac ‘anything over 25 ft needs a second a/c imho’ gyvr
Old 08-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #169

THOR #7936
2016 Thor Chateau 31E intro and questions

Went camping for a week last week up in Traverse City, as usual, I piled up a list of projects that I wanted to do before we left, but ended up doing them on the first day we were camping. Oh well, they got done and it was still a great week.

First thing was to get the stand for the DirectV set up. I've been putting this expensive dish on the ground for two years now and I wanted to get it up and protected a little more.

Name:	IMG_1649.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	19444

mac 'stand by your dish' gyvr
Old 08-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #170

THOR #7936

Name:	IMG_1663.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	19445

We had this old two piece foam art work that I did two years ago to put in our shower sky light to keep the heat and the sun out.

Name:	IMG_1664.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	19446

Recently we replaced the mattress in the RV, so I cut up the old one, we will eventually make some dog beds out of the rest of it, but I cut a piece up for the sky light. I traced the old piece that I made as a template.

Name:	IMG_1648.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	19447

Then I had some of the rolled up insulation stuff (I have that in alll my windows in the back half of the RV. So I put it on the top of the foam.

Name:	IMG_1592.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	19448

Now it fits nicely into the shower. Blocks more light and will help keep the RV cooler in the summer heat. I may eventually have a friend make some material to go around it for a nicer look, but for now, it works.

mac 'no more shower tans' gyvr
Old 08-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #171

THOR #7936
2016 Thor Chateau 31E intro and questions

Not a great pic, but, it looks good in person.

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	19449

My old flag pole was too short and the bottom flag was getting into the newly installed rear a/c. So I got a longer pole and while I was at it, I bought a light for the flag pole so you can see it all at night. And to keep ol' glory lit up.

Name:	IMG_1615.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	19450

It looks even better during the day. Takes better pics too. My buddy that we camped with last week was trying to have fun and bought a Braves flag for his pop up tent since they were playing my beloved Reds last week.

mac 'Go Reds!' gyvr
Old 08-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #172

THOR #7936
I've always been annoyed by the outside tv mount. It doesn't move or swivel. So you had to sit right in front of it to see the tv. So I tried two different mounts from amazon. Both were too deep to make the factory tv work. So I went to Best buy looking for a thinner TV. I came up with this one. It's also smart, so when there's internet, we can watch stuff on it just like you have a firestick installed.

Name:	IMG_1555.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	19451

Now I can pull the TV out and watch it from any direction.

Name:	IMG_1558.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	19452

I can see it from the campfire too as I captured this pic one evening.

Name:	IMG_1594.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	19453

mac 'the ultimate outdoor glamping tv' gyvr
Old 08-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #173

THOR #7936
Almost forgot, before we left, I did replace the vent over the stove with another fan like the one in the bathroom. Install was pretty simple and I didn't take a pic. There was a 12 volt wire already in the ceiling. I would later find out it's tied into the over head lights in the main living area of the coach. No worries as I don't anticipate using the fan with the lights off.

We had a great week, the 2 a/c's did a great job. Enjoyed the Traverse City area.

mac 'back to reality' gyvr
Old 08-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #174

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Excellent Mr. Mgyver. I have a Vegas 24.1 and am adding 2nd a/c. Am going to setup same way. I want to have the redundancy on the road and at track. I have a Champion on trailer that will run 2nd unit when in extreme heat.

How are the Nexxen tires holding up? I got no wear issues on Michelins but they are approaching 5 years old.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #175

THOR #7936
Zero issues with the Nexen tires. We have 4600 miles on them so far.

mac ‘no dullie burnouts for this rig’ gyvr
Old 11-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #176

State: Illinois
THOR #15304
Wanted to jump in and say thanks for this great thread! Glad to finally find someone modding their 31E.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC5255A7-9736-4F49-9424-D8E09769F324.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	21605  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:06 AM   #177

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_Get_Away View Post
Wanted to jump in and say thanks for this great thread! Glad to finally find someone modding their 31E.
Looks great!

This was our biggest load of 2019.

Beater with a heater/race for fun Jeep, with golf cart along.

mac 'did not weigh it' gyvr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2485.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	21656  
Old 06-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #178

State: Illinois
THOR #15304
Smile 12V Issues Resolved!!!

Hi fellow 31E owners, this will be a long one and hope all are well.

Ran into some trouble with the battery side of my 12V system. After 3 weeks in storage this spring my freshly charged batteries appeared to be dead, and the batt relay (the one under the rear bed on a 2018 that has the red indicator light and switch by the door) was dim and the relay had a very faint click, with no 12V power. After fully charging the batteries again it seemed to work as advertised, but looking back on it I think it was intermittent and I didn't realize it. When we plug our campers into ground power, the red light comes on (and you hear the click of a relay under the bed), however it is NOT necessarily charging our battery(s). Hit the switch (with a voltmeter on the batteries) and you will see the voltage go up because now the batteries are connected to the electrical system. This behavior was confirmed with Thor Customer Service.
After talking to Thor and a dealer, a bad relay was suspected and ordered.
Just installed it this afternoon and, nothing. The red light was slightly dim, and then nothing. In fact, I had to wait several minutes or more before it would faintly click again, and still no connection to the electrical system. Sooooo frustrating.

Got under the camper (again) and eventually found the neutral/GND (at the back of the battery area) which ended up being a bolt tack welded to the frame. Lo and behold, it slightly was loose!!! Tightened it up and all works perfectly now. I probably wiggled it at the end of last year when I took my batteries out. I hope this helps someone with a similar (and super annoying) problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7488.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	24156  
Old 06-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #179

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_Get_Away View Post
Hi fellow 31E owners, this will be a long one and hope all are well.

Ran into some trouble with the battery side of my 12V system. After 3 weeks in storage this spring my freshly charged batteries appeared to be dead, and the batt relay (the one under the rear bed on a 2018 that has the red indicator light and switch by the door) was dim and the relay had a very faint click, with no 12V power. After fully charging the batteries again it seemed to work as advertised, but looking back on it I think it was intermittent and I didn't realize it. When we plug our campers into ground power, the red light comes on (and you hear the click of a relay under the bed), however it is NOT necessarily charging our battery(s). Hit the switch (with a voltmeter on the batteries) and you will see the voltage go up because now the batteries are connected to the electrical system. This behavior was confirmed with Thor Customer Service.

After talking to Thor and a dealer, a bad relay was suspected and ordered.

Just installed it this afternoon and, nothing. The red light was slightly dim, and then nothing. In fact, I had to wait several minutes or more before it would faintly click again, and still no connection to the electrical system. Sooooo frustrating.

Got under the camper (again) and eventually found the neutral/GND (at the back of the battery area) which ended up being a bolt tack welded to the frame. Lo and behold, it slightly was loose!!! Tightened it up and all works perfectly now. I probably wiggled it at the end of last year when I took my batteries out. I hope this helps someone with a similar (and super annoying) problem.

First thing to check in most 12V electrical problems is the ground! Always check at the device that isn’t working as expected and also the system ground at the battery. Seems like that’s the problem more often than not. Glad you found it and all is well. And now you’ve got a spare relay.
Old 10-09-2023, 03:10 PM   #180

THOR #30479
I have your twin

I have the exact same unit. I'm the 2nd owner, bought it 3 months ago.
I am trying to figure out how to take the TV out of the bunk, any ideas ?
I am also getting ready to have the sway bars, and shocks upgraded and and adding a steering stabilizer, I'll keep you posted on that.
Something I found out, The motor home is a 2017, but the chassis is a 2016.

Thanks.
Joe