Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I was watching a you tube video yesterday where a dealer was describing a newly arrived Axis. He mentioned it was on the Ford E350. Did Thor go back to the E350 for 2017 or is this another case of a dealer not knowing the units they are selling?
Hey when I had a Coachmen Leperchaun CB230 I saw a tube video and the salesman showed the water tank fill connection and said it was to clean out the black water tank...boy was he wrong. I have found salesmen don't really know all that much in my experience. Do as much research as possible before buying and don't take the salesman's word for anything. When I bought my 29.3 I was also looking at another model Ace that was a little bigger with a split bath. I actually liked the floor plan better but when I asked if it had heated tanks the salesman said no. It turns out that model uses the central heat to keep the tanks from freezing, mine has a different arrangement and the tanks have pads to keep the from freezing. The salesman was wrong and it influenced our decision. We like our 29.3 but relying on the salesman was wrong. I wonder what else he told us was wrong.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I'm not sure which claims you are referring to.

There is also too much difference between an unloaded pickup and a motorhome to make a direct comparison between the two engines significant (unless they were both towing). Light power loads should definitely favor the smaller-displacement higher-compression-ratio V8, while in a motorhome working much harder at < 10 MPG it may not make much difference.

I'd gladly buy one of the first to test for you.
"More power, better fuel economy, inherently better balanced, smoother and quieter. What's not to like?" Those claims. My point exactly. Until both engines are tested in the same RV the claims are impossible to verify.

Please do buy one. I would be interested and more than willing to trade to the 6.2L V8 if it was better. I've owned Ford V8s since my 289 1965 Mustang and I have always loved the Ford V8. I'm on my third V10 and so far I have had few problems with any of them. And the new 6 spd is a definite plus.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #23

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Hey when I had a Coachmen Leperchaun CB230 I saw a tube video and the salesman showed the water tank fill connection and said it was to clean out the black water tank...boy was he wrong. I have found salesmen don't really know all that much in my experience. Do as much research as possible before buying and don't take the salesman's word for anything.

....cut....
So true.

We stopped at a La Mesa RV this weekend and the sales person was telling us how a Roadtrek Class B didn't need a generator because it used an engine driven alternator instead. So far he was right. But then he added that the van's engine didn't need to be running. He said to just start the engine and then shut it off, removing the key. No need to keep it running according to him.

I knew what this meant regarding how the system functions, but to someone that is not already informed it either sounded like he was ignorant, or else that the system didn't need to occasionally run the van's engine to generate power.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #24

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
"More power, better fuel economy, inherently better balanced, smoother and quieter. What's not to like?" Those claims. My point exactly. Until both engines are tested in the same RV the claims are impossible to verify.

Please do buy one. I would be interested and more than willing to trade to the 6.2L V8 if it was better. I've owned Ford V8s since my 289 1965 Mustang and I have always loved the Ford V8. I'm on my third V10 and so far I have had few problems with any of them. And the new 6 spd is a definite plus.
That's funny. My first car was a used 65 Mustang Fastback with 4-barrel 289 and 4 on the floor. Great memories.

Didn't know whether you were referring to these claims or to others you had read in your research. I'm on my second V10 and while it's OK, it's too loud and rough at higher RPMs. I'm hoping the V8 will improve over that, plus get better MPG.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #25

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
E350 or E450 chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbeskan View Post
how can you tell if a 350 or 450 chassis? on the engine? inside somewhere? i don't want to take anyone's word and i seem to have an Ace's manuals ad not my Axis manuals!
thanks
I'm a newby here and strongly considering buying an Axis or Vegas. As to which chassis it may have, it would seem to me that if a 2016 or 2017 model has the 8k lb towing capacity and a 6 spd tranny, its probably on an E450 chassis. Someone also posted that the 450's rear wheels are set wider apart and the rear tires protrude a bit beyond the wheel wells on Axis and Vegas. I know the VIN's will tell you for sure but when you're wandering around a dealer's lot, it would seem the things I mentioned about would be good quick indicators. Am I right or wrong?
Based on my personal experience with RV's on both E350 and E450 chassis, I definitely want an E450 under the Axis or Vegas that we buy.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief
I'm a newby here and strongly considering buying an Axis or Vegas. As to which chassis it may have, it would seem to me that if a 2016 or 2017 model has the 8k lb towing capacity and a 6 spd tranny, its probably on an E450 chassis. Someone also posted that the 450's rear wheels are set wider apart and the rear tires protrude a bit beyond the wheel wells on Axis and Vegas. I know the VIN's will tell you for sure but when you're wandering around a dealer's lot, it would seem the things I mentioned about would be good quick indicators. Am I right or wrong?
Based on my personal experience with RV's on both E350 and E450 chassis, I definitely want an E450 under the Axis or Vegas that we buy.
Axis/Vegas have had 8000 lb towing capacity since 10/2014 on the E350 chassis.

Your best bet is by the VIN. Looking at my VIN and this "decoder ring":
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...%20Guide_2.pdf

If the text in positions 5-7 is E3K its an E350 and if its E4K it is an E450.

At least knowing the above you can get a quick glance at the VIN and know right away without having to copy it down and send it to a VIN decoder.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #27

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post

....cut....
For a small Axis, I'd prefer the E-350, particularly if offered with the 6.2L V8. It would meet our needs better. The E-350 should ride softer and provide improved fuel economy.

I'm often in the minority though, thinking "less is more".
Old 12-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #28

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Wow! That is really interesting and good information to know if you are in the market for a 2017. I have a 2016 Axis 24.1 on a 450 chassis and I can tell the difference in ride and steering from my 2014 Vegas 24.1. I like the 450 and would look hard to get one, if I were in the market for. 2017. There had also been some discussion about the possibility of the Ford V-8 showing up in the 350/450 line in 2017 or 2018. That will also be something to watch for.
My 2017-Vegas, built in Oct-2016...is on the E450 chassis based on my VIN