Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #9951
Freedom Elite..Likes or Dislikes

Thinking of buying a new FE & would like to know the good, bad & ugly. All feedback welcomed.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
The FE's have a standard build with many popular options included. A lot of RV for the price, but don't expect much in the way of quality as with most RV products the final assembly point is the dealer.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I can't help you with the shopping, but "Welcome Aboard!" anyway!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
A year and a half in with ours and very happy. Also very happy with the price. Not the best build but it was cheap.

I'm scared to say it but we have been trouble free with the exception of the coach battery that didn't make it 6 months but I wasn't surprised as its some no name battery.

One big problem people have is the rear tail lights leak causing the wood to rot. I ran a bead of silicone around it to avoid that. Another thing is if you are buying used get a bunch of spray cans of car under carriage spray and spray everything underneath with the exception of the exhaust. lots of cheap fasteners used that will rust out.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
We have a 29FE and as stated a lot of RV for the price. Got it fairly early this camping season and the final trip is this weekend. No major problems so far. Watch for a slide wire that gets in leaf springs and grounds out I know of at least one other that had that problem. Also if you have an outside kitchen watch for water intrusion. Other than that our idiot CW broke my outside speaker while fixing my couch speakers I really can’t complain. The Seki tv’s I have will not tune in cable but I don’t camp to watch tv. The Axxera camera/radio/phone link takes some getting used to but mostly all good. I am thankful there are no more problems for the price I paid. Happy Camping
Old 11-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #6

Model: thor 22FE
THOR #3371
the worst part of our freedom elite experience was having to deal with the salesman at camping world. finally had to him to just not say another word and lets us talk and think about it. there has been a few quality issues here and there but i have done almost all repairs myself. door latches, switch replacement. also have done a lot of upgrades to it. tv, soundbar, water heater, bathroom fan, electric heat, vent covers. also will do more over this winter. have enjoyed it very much so far. also i get anything Ford serviced at Akin Ford in Winder. they are great for oil change, alignment(get it done right off the bat if you buy).
patrick

oh, i am 6'1". could use more drivers leg room.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #7

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post
the worst part of our freedom elite experience was having to deal with the salesman at camping world. finally had to him to just not say another word and lets us talk and think about it. there has been a few quality issues here and there but i have done almost all repairs myself. door latches, switch replacement. also have done a lot of upgrades to it. tv, soundbar, water heater, bathroom fan, electric heat, vent covers. also will do more over this winter. have enjoyed it very much so far. also i get anything Ford serviced at Akin Ford in Winder. they are great for oil change, alignment(get it done right off the bat if you buy).
patrick

I agree on the salesman at CW. Ours was the biggest lying jerk of a salesman I have ever met. Would tell a lie and get caught and make up another lie to cover it. Finally told the sales manager I was not dealing with him and she stepped in personally to finally make the sale. Service after the sale is also the worst. Drive about three hours to deal with a dealership I feel treats me as more than a sale. Only thing CW has on it’s side is price but they will try to take advantage of you. Price negotiated was about $100 less per month than initialed offered. Over 30% less then MSRP.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Sounds like you bought at Chattanooga.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #9

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Sounds like you bought at Chattanooga.

Nashville
Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 AM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My 2017 Freedom Elite 26 has had its share of minor issues but nothing that required a trip to the dealer. We spent about 45 nights in it in 8000 miles and I have no complaints. It is a lot of RV for the money. I also don’t have any real gripes about our CW dealer. He/they did what dealer sales people do. Just do your research and stand your ground. Don’t be afraid to get up and leave - they probably will chase you down. And if they don’t there are plenty of dealers around. I’d say go for it. Especially if you are a bit “handy” so you can deal with the inevitable bugs. You’ll have a wonderful time.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:31 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
FE is built for Camping World. If you find you are not satisfied then look at Four Winds, Quantum, or Chateau. In general, they are same basic units as FE with a few minor differences (except that Quantum offers high end cabinets and paint vs decals).
Old 11-17-2017, 12:59 AM   #12

THOR #10036
Smile

Quote:
patrick

We are looking at FE 24’10” with full slide. Any problems with that thing.
We are downsizing from a 35’ Southwind with a big spide.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #13

THOR #3371
No, i have done alot of the small things myself. like drawer latches, switch replacement. my expectations were not that high and i have been really satisfied with my 22fe. made alot of changes myself to increase my satisfaction and enjoyment. i am a happy camper and use it year round.

patrick
Old 11-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #14

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
The "one" problem that drives me crazy, my 2018 22FE doesn't track as well as I think it should on freeway. Had SafeTPlus installed, front end aligned, "some" improvement but still not great. NEXT item I plan to get installed is rear "trac bar". Had a 92 Class A Monaco many years ago. These things are "all" a money pit.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #15

THOR #3371
i did not make the improvements that you did. all i have had done is front end alignment. i do feel that the motor home handles better the more it breaks in. i am right at 13000 on a 2016 22fe. that does not mean that it will not sail. back in august i drove across Nebraska from east to west and a 30+ knot wind from north to south all day...i was tired at the end of the day. the next day that made the 18 wheeler s seem like nothing.
patrick
Old 11-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #16

THOR #8606
Quote:
i did not make the improvements that you did. all i have had done is front end alignment. i do feel that the motor home handles better the more it breaks in. i am right at 13000 on a 2016 22fe. that does not mean that it will not sail. back in august i drove across Nebraska from east to west and a 30+ knot wind from north to south all day...i was tired at the end of the day. the next day that made the 18 wheeler s seem like nothing.
patrick
Patrick: One improvement I made recently, installed swivel seat base to passenger seat. Now swivels to rear with some moving the seat all way forward and swiveling 180*. Nice to have extra seat that faces living area. Easy to do. Bolts on to existing bolt pattern.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #17

THOR #3371
who did you get the base from. can you post a link? i bought a new table that is half the size of the original that adds room if up against the wall or makes a u-shaped dinette if in the outside position.
patrick
Old 11-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
FE is built for Camping World. If you find you are not satisfied then look at Four Winds, Quantum, or Chateau. In general, they are same basic units as FE with a few minor differences (except that Quantum offers high end cabinets and paint vs decals).
Do you think that this means that The Freedom Elites are the "Chevvies", and that Quantum is the "Cadillac"?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #19

THOR #3371
Back to kneeslider

i think that if you are looking for a great price(and dont be afraid to tell them you are walking away) and not to OCD about quality right down to the nats a** the you will enjoy the freedom elite..one last thing. the larger you go the less you are able to carry. the larger ones are almost max'ed out after a couple of people and some grills, clothes, water and food.

patrick
Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #20

THOR #8606
Quote:
who did you get the base from. can you post a link? i bought a new table that is half the size of the original that adds room if up against the wall or makes a u-shaped dinette if in the outside position.
patrick
Patrick: Ford Van Seat Bases,driver,passenger seat bases

Here's the place. Discountvantruck.com Stock #113631. Paid $206. plus shipping. There's a Utube vid, shows a guy in detail installation. Can you post where you got the table you added?
Steve