Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

Brand: KZ RV
State: Virginia
THOR #3861
2017 models

We are likely going to order a Hurricane or Windsport 34J in April.

Does anyone know at what point the production lines switch to 2017 from 2016? Also what is the typical delivery time of a unit from Thor?

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Be aware that when Thor comes out with its 2017 models this summer, they will still be on the 2016 Ford chassis - if that makes a difference to you. There have been rumors of the 2017 Ford models being equipped with the V-8 as an extra cost, choice item - if Thor would even let you order one. I don't know if there are any other changes. There were still lots of RVs in dealer lots on the 2015 chassis in Feb 2016 when I was looking.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

Brand: KZ RV
State: Virginia
THOR #3861
I don't mind if it is a 2016 or 2017. I just didn't want to get stuck in a plant outage as they re-tool for the 2017. We really want the unit for the summer travels.

I would prefer the 6-speed transmission over the 5-speed but I suppose that at this point all F53 units would have the 6-speed. I guess that I would specify my preference in the order.

WRT the engine, I DO have a preference there: V10 all the way. We have a V10 in our 2005 Excursion and it has been the most reliable engine we have ever owned, 130,000mi and no problems. These miles have mostly been towing our TT with 6 being trips from VA to WY (Yellowstone).

Wish I could say the same for the gutless 4R100 transmission...
Old 03-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjstangelo View Post
I don't mind if it is a 2016 or 2017. I just didn't want to get stuck in a plant outage as they re-tool for the 2017. We really want the unit for the summer travels.

I would prefer the 6-speed transmission over the 5-speed but I suppose that at this point all F53 units would have the 6-speed. I guess that I would specify my preference in the order.

WRT the engine, I DO have a preference there: V10 all the way. We have a V10 in our 2005 Excursion and it has been the most reliable engine we have ever owned, 130,000mi and no problems. These miles have mostly been towing our TT with 6 being trips from VA to WY (Yellowstone).

Wish I could say the same for the gutless 4R100 transmission...
With the F-53, I would want a V-10 too, probably even in the E-450 chassis. I am on my third V-10. As far as retooling, I am not sure how much "retooling" Thor does every year in the same model. There may be some minor interior changes made, but they seem pretty much the same. I don't think you have to worry about the transmission issue. I believe Thor is only purchasing the 6 Spd. I have never ordered one, so I don't know how long it takes. The way RVs are built, I think I feel more comfortable finding a good one and examining it really well before I put any money down.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
As you look at the changes, most seem to be color of paint and wood. No big changes to the layout or chassis - only one I seen is the small table top storage.

Note: Sorry my comment was based on the Challengers.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Be aware that when Thor comes out with its 2017 models this summer, they will still be on the 2016 Ford chassis - if that makes a difference to you. There have been rumors of the 2017 Ford models being equipped with the V-8 as an extra cost, choice item - if Thor would even let you order one. I don't know if there are any other changes. There were still lots of RVs in dealer lots on the 2015 chassis in Feb 2016 when I was looking.
The Ford Media news release I posted about on a different thread applied only to the E-Series Cutaway and Stripped Chassis (as used on Axis and Vegas). There was no mention of engine options/changes for the F-53 Motorhome Chassis. I would bet those will retain the older 6.8L V10.

And for what it's worth, I saw the date for the switch to 2017 model year for E-Series and it was around June or July (can't recall exactly). So we probably won't see the newer V8s (if at all) until much later in year or next year.

In any case the revision shouldn't affect the larger motorhomes built on F-53 chassis.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:16 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My 2015 Challenger, which was one of the first 2015s off the line, was built in August 2014. You can expect the change over to occur about that time frame. Now, I do not know if the August date on the label is the date production started or the date production was complete. I made the offer Jan 2015 and took delivery the beginning of February. My unit was dealer stock and was not ordered by me.

If you are saying you want a 2017 for this summer I doubt that will happen unless it is late summer. A good dealer can call their regional rep and get an estimated delivery time for the first 2017s. The thing to remember is that Thor does not begin building a coach until they get the order from a dealer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:06 AM   #8

State: Maryland
THOR #3776
We just placed an order (this week) for a 2017 Challenger and it is supposed to be completed by the beginning of June (fingers crossed). The Thor regional dealership rep we've been in contact with said the first 2017s should be coming out of the factory in the next week or two. Our dealership also told us they could no longer order 2016s (so if you wanted a 2016 fabric interior, you're out of luck). Ours will be built on the 2016 chassis, but we will have the 6-speed transmission!
Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #9

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
IF it helps the guess on when the 2017's will be available: please note that on 29 May 2015 we purchased our 2016 Vegas 24.1, but it had a 2015 350 Chassis and a built date of April 2015.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #10

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon View Post
We just placed an order (this week) for a 2017 Challenger and it is supposed to be completed by the beginning of June (fingers crossed). The Thor regional dealership rep we've been in contact with said the first 2017s should be coming out of the factory in the next week or two. Our dealership also told us they could no longer order 2016s (so if you wanted a 2016 fabric interior, you're out of luck). Ours will be built on the 2016 chassis, but we will have the 6-speed transmission!
Congratulations. Hope you get a good one!
Old 03-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #11

State: Maryland
THOR #3776
Quote:
Congratulations. Hope you get a good one!
Thanks! I have my fingers crossed that we don't have any major problems, especially right off the bat. We're expecting to have minor issues crop up, as you would with any RV brand, but we're hopeful that we won't get a complete lemon! *knocks on wood*
Old 03-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
We just made a deal for a 2016 Hurricane 35C that we will pick up in early April. It was a dealer inventory and still has the 5 speed Ford chassis. However, later 2016's had the newer 6 speed (as of October 2015, I believe) so you should be good for the 2017 models.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #13

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
We just made a deal for a 2016 Hurricane 35C that we will pick up in early April. It was a dealer inventory and still has the 5 speed Ford chassis. However, later 2016's had the newer 6 speed (as of October 2015, I believe) so you should be good for the 2017 models.
Having driven the 5 Spd for 45,000 miles and the 6 Spd for 1000 miles, the 6 Spd is soooo much better.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
Quote:
Having driven the 5 Spd for 45,000 miles and the 6 Spd for 1000 miles, the 6 Spd is soooo much better.
I haven't driven a 6 speed yet, but we got too good of a deal to pass up on the 5 speed.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
I haven't driven a 6 speed yet, but we got too good of a deal to pass up on the 5 speed.
Congratulations on your new motorhome purchase. And I happen to agree that many nice-to-have things are price dependent. Like many others I often purchase based on best value -- a great deal is hard to pass up.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it very much.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #16

THOR #1020
As I understand from the F53 forum, the 6 speed drives better until it comes to going down the hill. Then, at least as others have reported, the engine doesn't help brake at all. I've learned how to drive my five speed in cruise control and with a couple of specific techniques it is very easy to drive. Having been through the Rockies this last summer (via Ten Sleep), I've taken a real liking to the Tow/Haul mode going down hills.

Puts and takes on both sides of the equation but helping me brake the speed on my 14 ton monster rolling down a 6% grade is fairly important to me.

Enjoy your new coach - we love ours.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #17

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
We were in Indiana a couple years ago in August & drove by one of manufacturers yards, they had approximately 200+ Ford chassis in the field with weeds up to the windows, I told DW that someone was getting a new rv with a 1-3 year old chassis under it, no thanks. Don't know how they were keeping the little critters from feasting on all the wiring & everything else.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #18

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
As I understand from the F53 forum, the 6 speed drives better until it comes to going down the hill. Then, at least as others have reported, the engine doesn't help brake at all. I've learned how to drive my five speed in cruise control and with a couple of specific techniques it is very easy to drive. Having been through the Rockies this last summer (via Ten Sleep), I've taken a real liking to the Tow/Haul mode going down hills.

Puts and takes on both sides of the equation but helping me brake the speed on my 14 ton monster rolling down a 6% grade is fairly important to me.

Enjoy your new coach - we love ours.
I've seen those comments on the braking on the 6 Spd, but the biggest hill in 400 miles is Mt. Trashmore in Miami and they won't let me drive up and down it. I will be interested when I go out west this summer to see if it makes a big difference. In the smaller Axis, I hope not. The tow haul feature of the 5 Spd is really great. I don't understand why the tow haul on the 6 Spd should be much different than the 5 Spd. The 5 Spd shifted 1-2-3-5 up and 5-4-3 down. The 6 Spd shifts 1-2-3-4-6 up and 6-5-4 down. I don't see why Ford wouldn't make the 6-5 downshift of the 6 Spd very similar to the 5-4 downshift of the 5 Spd. But....I have seen the negative comments. I will be interested to see for myself.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #19

THOR #1020
Oneilkeys - please let us know your experience. We travel so much in our coach that losing the downshift on steep grades is NOT good. Again, let us know please.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #20

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Oneilkeys - please let us know your experience. We travel so much in our coach that losing the downshift on steep grades is NOT good. Again, let us know please.
I will... But it will not be until July or so? Maybe someone else with a 6 Spd will be in hills before that.