Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2016, 02:08 AM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
You are right. I saw a significant difference in engine braking in my 22' Class C and Vegas with the same engine and transmission. On steep grades found on some interstates when you start down hill at 60 mph and the tow haul engaged, one tap on the brake is usually OK, but if you are not slowing enough a second brake tap may take you over 5000 rpm. What I do is to disengage the tow haul while applying the brakes and then reengage the tow haul. The RV is usually slow enough by then for the tow haul to work.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:43 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We've got the 5 speed and it does a very steady and deliberate job of braking going done steep inclines. After going through the Rockies to include Ten Sleep, Wyoming - I came to love the engine braking. Pulling a 4500 lb Explorer behind a 12 ton Challenger - I really came to depend on it.

Reading some of the forums (specifically the IRV F53 forum), the 6 speed for whatever reason doesn't seem to do as well.

On the flat and small hills, the 6 speed far outshines the 5 speed but gotta say - I needs the help stopping this 13 ton monster on 6 degree downhill.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #43

THOR #1765
There is a big difference between your package and my Axis - like triple... So I can see that a difference in braking ability may have a major impact on the bigger rigs and a much smaller impact on something as small and light as an Axis. I do not even engage the tow haul on a 6% slope.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #44

State: Manitoba
THOR #3889
Hi we are trying to decide on which model of Challenger we want, what did you decide on?
Old 03-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #45

State: Manitoba
THOR #3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon View Post
Thanks! I have my fingers crossed that we don't have any major problems, especially right off the bat. We're expecting to have minor issues crop up, as you would with any RV brand, but we're hopeful that we won't get a complete lemon! *knocks on wood*
What model of Challenger did you decide on? Where did you order it from? Thanks
Old 03-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #46

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Info on Ford 2017 model year chassis timing as of March 21, 2016. Looks like switch on F53 will be a couple of months sooner than on E-Series. Which makes sense since they are not changing as much (at least that I've seen reported).

http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/conte...00cad9824dd841
Old 03-26-2016, 04:02 AM   #47

State: California
THOR #3900
We ordered our 2017 Challenger 37TB (bunkhouse) on March 5th. We have been told that it will be delivered here to CA around June 15th. Hoping for sooner so we can have time to get the kinks worked out of it before summer cross country trip to visit family. We ordered ours with double pane windows, oven, Riverside exterior color, Pacific Cherry wood, and City Scape for the interior décor. We went with the 17 over the 16 for a few reasons main one being we were offered the 17 at the same price as the 16, all LED lighting, better color choices for the interior wood.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #48

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
If anyone is interested in the new exterior color for the Challenger/Outlaw for 2017, this is the riverside paint job. I just had the regional sales manager take a picture of one for me that came back from being painted.

The reason I wanted a picture was because I have it on order and wanted to know what it looked other than the rendering they have now. Now I really can't wait to get mine in June

2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #49

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCampingNut View Post
....cut....

Is that a strange awning arrangement? Why so short up front? Would one awning be too long?

Nice looking MH.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #50
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Probably due to the slide under the rear awning: You can lower/raise/angle the front awning much more than the rear awning with the slide under it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:52 PM   #51

Brand: KZ RV
State: Virginia
THOR #3861
2017 models are in

I traveled to our nearest Thor dealer and he had a 2017 Thor Hurricane 34j. It just arrived yesterday.

Changes noted by the salesman included a higher ceiling height, new flooring pattern, and the front end now resembles the ACE models.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #52

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
its likely the chassis will still be a 2016
Old 05-02-2016, 04:50 AM   #53

THOR #3900
Our 2017 Challenger 37TB came off the line on Friday! Now on to the audit department on Monday then wait for a driver to bring it to California! They expect it to arrive around the 23rd of May! We ordered it Feb 4th. This RV is one more step closer to my husband retiring from the Marine Corps (22+ years and counting) so we can spend some family time together.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #54

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbsunny View Post
Our 2017 Challenger 37TB came off the line on Friday! Now on to the audit department on Monday then wait for a driver to bring it to California! They expect it to arrive around the 23rd of May! We ordered it Feb 4th. This RV is one more step closer to my husband retiring from the Marine Corps (22+ years and counting) so we can spend some family time together.
Congratulations and thank you for your service. I retired from the Air Force 22 years ago this August! Hope you have as great a next 22 years as we have. It is different and the family time together is wonderful - especially in your new RV. Enjoy!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #55

THOR #1020
mcbsunny - first off thank you for your service, especially with the Corps.

Wow - nice paint job!! Having our own 2015.5 37TB, I can tell you it is a great floor plan that we just love! We spend about 7 months a year traveling often with kids or grandkids. Everyone has a bit of space they can call their own (mammaw and pappaw have a king size bed). The 1.5 baths is essential.

So nice choice on the coach and again welcome to the world of military retirees. If you haven't already been there, give the folks over at U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - U.S. Military Recreation Facilities a visit. One of the signficant benefits of military service is access to installations. The Military Campground site really helps with the wheres and lots of other helpful installation info.

Biggest thing - relax, take a few deep breaths and enjoy - this old soldier does.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #56

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Okay, about the 6 speed downhill braking.... On our last weekend trip we were on the way back when we were on a long downhill portion with our '16 Axis 24.1. Speed was increasing as usual when I tapped on the brakes. The trans downshifted on its own to slow down the speed with engine braking. Anyone else have this happen? It surprised me but I was pleased because it worked.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #57

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Mine has the 5 speed and it will down shift on a hill when the brake is applied and it is in the Tow/Haul mode. I assume the 6 speed works the same.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #58
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The 6 speed works the same as the 5 speed has for years.

There is a section in the chassis owner's manual on grade downshifting to include the three conditions which must exist before grade downshifting will occur.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #59

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3552
Quote:
peed was increasing as usual when I tapped on the brakes. The trans downshifted on its own to slow down the speed with engine braking. Anyone else have this happen?
Happened to me a couple of weeks ago on the 7% Cuesta grade on 101 near San Luis Obispo. I liked it at first but then I ended up stuck behind a truck doing 35. My Axis kept downshifting as I was forced to keep braking. The engine was reeving a bit high for my taste.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #60

THOR #1020
Glad to hear the engine braking is working on most of the 6 speeds. On a long downhill slope it is essential. The V10 is a real horse and yep when it is working right it gets a little noisy.