Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2018, 12:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #11235
2017 Palazzo House Batteries Issue

Fellow RVers,
I have a new 2017 Palazzo 33.2 that does not seem to be able to maintain house batteries after two weeks in storage with batteries switch off. It only took 15 minutes on a trickle charger to get the generator started and power to 12.1 but this doesn't seem right to me. However, this is my first RV.

I was told the RV was pre-wired for solar panel so I thought that might be an option to install to keep batteries maintained. Is this the right option or should I purchase a solar trickle charger to maintain my batteries. Not sure where to go here. Looking for options.

I appreciate your expertise and assistance as I learn the ropes of RVing.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 04-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome aboard!!
There are always parasitic losses in these rigs. I bought a bayonet switch, and threw that into the wiring, so that the house batteries were completely shut off from any potential drain...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1523362174
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	9664  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:30 AM   #3

Model: Palazzo 36.3
State: Texas
THOR #6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Ranger View Post
Fellow RVers,
I have a new 2017 Palazzo 33.2 that does not seem to be able to maintain house batteries after two weeks in storage with batteries switch off. It only took 15 minutes on a trickle charger to get the generator started and power to 12.1 but this doesn't seem right to me. However, this is my first RV.

I was told the RV was pre-wired for solar panel so I thought that might be an option to install to keep batteries maintained. Is this the right option or should I purchase a solar trickle charger to maintain my batteries. Not sure where to go here. Looking for options.

Thanks,

Rick
Hey Rick...

I keep my Palazzo plugged in most of the time when it's in storage. It's also covered. A solar panel would keep your batteries up too. I'm a relatively new owner so take my advice with a grain of salt but it's my understanding the battery switch in the off position should do the trick. If they lose that much power in two weeks I'd have them checked. Good luck and let us know what you find.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it's easy to assume that batteries are always somehow the culprit, and must be replaced, but it's usually not the case... the 'tiny' draws that every coach is built with are the real culprits... and they are also usually directly wired to the batteries, the coach's 'battery disconnect' or 'salesman's switch' will not normally disconnect these. The c02 sensor, smoke detector, and any 12v devices with circuit boards may have 'fantom' draws to maintain their memory.

If you were able to revive your batteries quickly with a charger, then the batteries are fine.

as Bob said, the only 'real' way to remove all draws is to totally disconnect the batteries.

as for Solar - yes, if you are solar ready/prepped, you already have wiring from the roof down into your battery bay - a small 50w or 100w panel would be sufficient just to maintain batteries. You can also purchase a small panel that plugs directly to your batteries with alligator clips, if you don't want to worry yet about mounting something on the roof, especially if you are under covered storage where you'd need the panel to be outside, many feet away.

don't forget, turn off your Inverter as well.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Fellow RVers,

Thanks,

Rick
I have the same problem with my 2018 Windsport when in storage. I found the easiest solution is to disconnect the house batteries when in storage.

kev
Old 04-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #6

State: California
THOR #10354
Batteries low after 2 weeks?

To check the batteries, you can either buy a load/test tool from Harbor Freight (cheap unit but does the simple task), or fully charge the batteries by leaving the shore power connected for 24 hours and then run a heavy 12V load like the slide motors, a 12V 55W automotive light bulb, or or an inverter running a 100W light bulb to see how many in/outs of the slide, hours on the light bulb before the battery runs down to around 11.5V under load. If the house batteries can power the slide for 3-4 in/outs or power the light bulb for 3-10 hours, then the batteries have a good amount of stored energy and need not be replaced. I would then check the current draw in the "shutdown" mode with an inexpensive portable digital voltmeter/Ammeter to make sure the current draw is less than 100mA (it should actually be in the few mA range) by disconnecting the + or - battery terminal and inserting the ammeter (using the 10A range to start with). If the current draw is too high, go for warranty service immediately.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Fellow RVers,

Thanks,

Rick
Rick,

There could be several causes to your issue. I had the same issue with my unit. My unit was on the lot for 9 months before I purchased. During this time, the batteries were not maintained as they should have been (dealers do not routinely maintain batteries). They are often left to discharge as someone forgets to urn off switch when exiting the coach after showing it, etc. Therefore when sold the batteries are in a state of poor maintenance... While they are able to be charged, the parasitic loads that remain even when the store switch is used run them down quickly. I tested my batteries with a load tester and specific gravity test after an equalizer charge to determine how bad they were. Since replacing them I have not had the issue.

As others suggest, I would test them to eliminate them as the issue. If not the batteries, you will have to utilize an ammeter to see what is drawing too much current.

FWIW
Old 02-01-2020, 01:43 AM   #8

Model: 2015 Palazzo
State: California
THOR #17213
(2015 Palazzo 33.2)- Batteries are located on top of each other in small compartment and it is really difficult to see the water level. Has anyone upgrade it by either relocating all or part of the batteries, or know of a way to easily access them without being forced to remove in order to check the water level? Appreciate any help.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #9

Model: Pallazo
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12810
I added a manual watering system to mine. I top them off at the first of each month
Old 02-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I simply use a small water bottle with a pointed end, like used for table-side condiments at restaurants.... it allows you to reach back into the battery compartment and squeeze in as much water as you need.
If you can't really 'see' the water level, when it reaches the top, you'll know....
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote