Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #17538
2017 Vegas leveling

We are new to the RV thing. We purchased a 2017 Thor Vegas back in December of last year. Because of the virus thing we have not used it but three times so far. We have found that using leveling blocks on gravel camp sites does not work all that well. The gravel tends to move around quite a bit, and the edges of the blocks get distorted and broken. I could get a 2x12 and cut some pieces just big enough to go under the leveling blocks, but storage on the Vegas is very limited, and storing four 3 1/2 foot long boards would be problematic. Adding hydraulic levelers is terribly expensive. I have been looking into adding manual 6000 pound scissor jacks. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this, and if so, where might be the best place to attach them to the frame.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We have scissor jacks on the front and rear but only use the rears (the fronts are mounted at the bumper to part of the frame that flexes when we put them down--bad position choice).
Click image for larger version

Name:	jackrear1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	26329

Name:	jackrear2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	26330

Name:	jackrear3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	26331

I have to say that you really can only use these for stabilization. I really wouldn't want to depend on lifting part of the coach with these (they are 7000lbs each if I remember correctly).

Instead I use our Levelmate pro to find the most level spot in the campsite and then use the lego type blocks to level the coach. The levelmate reads out how much lift each wheel needs in inches and since the blocks are about an inch high it works out quite well. Then I use the scissor jacks to stabilize the coach.

I have two 10-packs similar to these levelers (Amazon) for the front wheels and one pack of these levelers (also Amazon) for the rears. All of these blocks fit neatly in the outside storage bay at the front passenger side of the coach.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #17538
Thanks for your response. I do have the LevelMate Pro, and love it. On fairly solid surfaces, the leveling blocks work fine. However, the last two trips we took put us on loose gravel camp sites. The lego type blocks did not do well. Two were deformed, and a third was actually broken by digging into the gravel.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite48 View Post
Thanks for your response. I do have the LevelMate Pro, and love it. On fairly solid surfaces, the leveling blocks work fine. However, the last two trips we took put us on loose gravel camp sites. The lego type blocks did not do well. Two were deformed, and a third was actually broken by digging into the gravel.
Not sure what type of lego style blocks you have but I have had 2 sets (10 per set) of Lynx Levellers for 10 years and none of them are deformed or cracked. I still use them periodically when my hydraulic jacks return an excessive slope error and the GVWR of my coach is 29K. I have used them on grass, hard gravel, loose gravel and everything in between. Only issue I had was one time I had to dig one out of the ground on a grassy site after 3 consecutive days of rain.

The Lynx eveners I have are:

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-0001...46686536&psc=1
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Not sure what type of lego style blocks you have but I have had 2 sets (10 per set) of Lynx Levellers for 10 years and none of them are deformed or cracked. I still use them periodically when my hydraulic jacks return an excessive slope error and the GVWR of my coach is 29K. I have used them on grass, hard gravel, loose gravel and everything in between. Only issue I had was one time I had to dig one out of the ground on a grassy site after 3 consecutive days of rain.

The Lynx eveners I have are:

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-0001...46686536&psc=1
Yup those are the same ones we have. We've had one of our sets for almost 20 years now.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #6

Model: AXIS 25.3
State: California
THOR #20631
This may seem like a silly question but in a week we'll pick up our first rig with duallies. Do you put your blocks/Lynx levelers under both rear wheels or can you put them under only the outside tire?
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote