Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite
State: California
THOR #6415
Freedom Elite

We recently bought a new 2017 "Freedom Elite" from Camping World in Vacaville, CA. We couldn't resist the price and the features. We've taken it on day trips, but will take our first overnights in the Spring when the weather warms. Has anyone else bought this unit? We understand that it's an exclusive to Camping World. We still need to flush the systems and turn everything on and appreciate any comments, suggestions, tips etc. Oh and we have two elderly German Shepherds who will experience life on the road before going over the rainbow bridge--Woof!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThorGoatRock121816.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	3862  

Old 02-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine Webster View Post
We recently bought a new 2017 "Freedom Elite" from Camping World in Vacaville, CA. We couldn't resist the price and the features. We've taken it on day trips, but will take our first overnights in the Spring when the weather warms. Has anyone else bought this unit? We understand that it's an exclusive to Camping World. We still need to flush the systems and turn everything on and appreciate any comments, suggestions, tips etc. Oh and we have two elderly German Shepherds who will experience life on the road before going over the rainbow bridge--Woof!
I have a Four Winds which I believe makes the Freedom Elite and we love it. Which model did you buy?
Old 02-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach!!! If your babies have a hard time with the stairs there are several companies that make folding ramps which will help. Hope you have many safe and enjoyable adventures!!!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 23h
State: Colorado
THOR #5933
I purchased a Freedom Elite 23H in November. Completed my first shakedown cruise to Quartzsite, Arizona this past month. Welcome to the group and please post any upgrade or additions you do to your Freedom Elite. A work to the wise, act sooner than later to check out your systems. My 23H was a cinch to re-winterize. I would recommend you try out ALL of your systems ASAP...

Safe Travels!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
THOR #4282
I got a 26' freedom elite last summer. Have 7,000 miles on it and really no issues. Everything works as it should. few cosmetic issues inside. Just making a list to bring it back before the 1 year warranty is up.

The Thor Four Winds is the same Model. Just a different name.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Congrats on the new coach and welcome to the Forums.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:47 AM   #7

THOR #6415
We bought a 23H on an E 450 chassis.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We plan to get everything started and set up this month and will take our first camping trip in March to learn the ropes . The pups are challenged re: the steps (they both have weak rear ends, which is common for the breed) but they like us to boost their behinds. We have a ramp, but neither of them trust it--unlike 13 year old humans, they prefer to trust their parents. When we got married 43 years ago this April we had a 1966 converted Chevy camping van, which we traveled in for six months before "settling down". We also had a German Shepherd we called Deja Vu. So, the idea is to eventually replicate much of that trip which will take us through the Western U.S. and Canada. Talk about Deja Vu. This will be fun! Looking forward to your posts.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:26 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Start shopping around for a second house battery, since its new you wont have to worry about mixing and old and new battery. I believe they put a single group 27 battery in but not sure the make. They used to be Harris but they may have changed. A single is OK if you only camp with full hook ups but if the weather gets cool and you spend any time boon-docking or in National Parks the furnace fan can draw a single down fast. Start thinking about a TPMS system, having to pop the wheel covers to check the tire pressure gets old fast and given the weight these units carry you really dont want to drive on an under inflated tire. They tend to explode and not just go flat and they tear up the systems under the RV. Find your Hot water heater bypass, probably behind the panel under the hanging closet, make sure you understand the valve arrangement to fill or bypass the heater before you turn on the heating element or you will be buying a new one. Find the water shut off from the fresh water tank, likely under the dinette seat. the water pump is there and on mine the factory had it turned off. I filled the tank and started the pump and after not seeing any water at a faucet for 4 or 5 min shut it off and started looking. I found it and also realized that the dealer prep and check only included checking water with a hose hook up. My pump still works but I dont think it works like it should because of this. Get some of the foam pipe insulation that is split and put it on the pipes from and to the water pump as far as you can. If the pipes touch the floor or the cabinets the pump will sound very very noisy. The sound travels through the pipes and everything becomes a drum head.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #9

THOR #6415
Thanks samven for the tips.

Thank you for the advice. We bought a second battery and had it installed at the dealer. So we're good to go there. We do plan to do Federal/State/County Park camping, so we won't often have hookups. All the rest, we wouldn't even know to think about I'll print out your suggestions. Whew! Can't wait to become a "Senior" traveler.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #10

THOR #6415
One more question about Bluetooth pairing.

This is from my husband, Blake, who is the tech mastermind of the family, but is currently baffled.
I am trying to pair up Bluetooth for my Ipod and the Ford radio model Axxera: AV615BHM.
The Ipod is picking up the radio’s Bluetooth signal, but the default PIN that I found online is not working for pairing the two.
The default PIN is 1234.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. I also posted this under the tech forum, but you folks are so responsive
Old 02-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: New York
THOR #6425
The default pin for mine is 0000. I found that in the manual. I found the manual online and downloaded it to my Ipad.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #12

THOR #6425
23h

Hi All,

We purchased a 2017 FE 23 H in June of last year. Have had it out on 4 small trips last summer. Looking forward to spring break in Myrtle Beach. Had a few warranty issues, water pump went on the second trip, had a roof leak, a section of the light strip under the awning died and the door needed to be adjusted. We put on Tire Minders and SafeT steer stabilizer (big difference).
How difficult to add second battery? Is that something that should be done professionally? Too late to add now?

Love our MH, can't wait for camping season!
Old 02-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
The hardest part of adding a second battery is finding the right colored cables. There should be room in your battery tray for a second battery. In many of the smaller units I looked at and mine the tray was under the entry step. There was enough room for 2 group 27 batteries but I dont think 2 group 29's would fit. If you have a 27 and you probably do, you can fit another beside it and using battery cables from Walmart or auto parts store, connect +(positive) to + and -(negative) to -. If you have deep cycle batteries they will have the multi terminal. A standard battery post and a screw post on both sides. Get cables that have the standard clamp on one end and the eye or ring connector on the other end. It can be difficult to find a red cable in just the right length you need for the + side so just buy the black and a roll of red electrical tape. Then wrap a few inches of red tape at each end of the one you are going to use for the + side. You dont want to connect them wrong. The biggest caution I can give is to be really sure that the positive terminal never contacts the frame as you are putting the battery in. The trays are just deep enough for the battery and as you are tilting it in the terminals come very close to the edge. I always tape cardboard over the + terminals because if the + and - should hit the frame at the same time the battery could weld itself there and you will not be able to pull it off. As for mixing old and new. It is generally not recommended because the weaker battery will draw down the stronger but if you get the battery store to do a test with one of the new meters that measure internal battery impedance and your old one is close to the new one you will be fine. Its best if you can get the same brand but at least get the same size and amp hr rating.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:22 AM   #14

THOR #6425
Thanks for the advice. Going to look into that since we are most often at state campgrounds with no hook ups.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #15

THOR #6415
0000 worked. Thank you! And Happy Trails.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:24 AM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #6470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine Webster View Post
We recently bought a new 2017 "Freedom Elite" from Camping World in Vacaville, CA. We couldn't resist the price and the features.
Hi there, Elaine! Congratulations on your new purchase! I can't believe that I found your post as I just joined to ask about the Freedom Elite 29FE that I have seen at of all places the Vacaville Campingworld! We have been looking at one of their used RVs but we're on the Central Coast and Vacaville is a 4.5 hour drive from here. Anyway, we've been dealing with Phil the sales manager and David Tan over the phone. The Vacaville Campingworld and mostly all Campingworld's do not have a great reputation for sales and service, and what I discovered on the net about the Vacaville place has not been favorable either.

The used RV unfortunately looks like it hasn't been well cared for even though it's a 2016, so my hubby and I were just discussing the possibility of purchasing the Thor Freedom Elite 29FE if it doesn't work out with this used coach. I have been searching for this particular used coach for awhile now and the manufacturer (Forest River) I narrowed our purchase down to. Going to the Thor does have some concerns for us as the reviews on this particular motorhome are really bad mostly regarding leaks which we would like to avoid like the plague! Our Jamboree RV always had a leak we could never seem to resolve, so water leaks in a new motorhome would not be something we'd want to deal with.

Regarding your experience with your purchase at the Vacaville Campingworld, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering some questions:

1. Did you feel your overall purchasing experience went well? Is there a particular sales rep you would like to recommend?

2. Were you able to negotiate at least a 30% discount or more off the MSRP? How do you feel the purchase price negotiation process went?

3. How was your PDI (walk through) experience? Was the person who took you through your new coach knowledgeable?

4. Are you happy with the Thor Freedom Elite? Any problems discovered so far?

If anyone here could ease my fears about water leaks and major problems with the Freedom Elite or give feedback, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2017, 03:32 AM   #17

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
THOR #4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bythesea View Post
If anyone here could ease my fears about water leaks and major problems with the Freedom Elite or give feedback, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
We have had our 2017 26fe for like +-8 months and 7k miles. Been fantastic.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #18

THOR #6415
So far,So good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bythesea View Post
Hi there, Elaine! Congratulations on your new purchase! I can't believe that I found your post as I just joined to ask about the Freedom Elite 29FE that I have seen at of all places the Vacaville Campingworld! We have been looking at one of their used RVs but we're on the Central Coast and Vacaville is a 4.5 hour drive from here. Anyway, we've been dealing with Phil the sales manager and David Tan over the phone. The Vacaville Campingworld and mostly all Campingworld's do not have a great reputation for sales and service, and what I discovered on the net about the Vacaville place has not been favorable either.

The used RV unfortunately looks like it hasn't been well cared for even though it's a 2016, so my hubby and I were just discussing the possibility of purchasing the Thor Freedom Elite 29FE if it doesn't work out with this used coach. I have been searching for this particular used coach for awhile now and the manufacturer (Forest River) I narrowed our purchase down to. Going to the Thor does have some concerns for us as the reviews on this particular motorhome are really bad mostly regarding leaks which we would like to avoid like the plague! Our Jamboree RV always had a leak we could never seem to resolve, so water leaks in a new motorhome would not be something we'd want to deal with.

Regarding your experience with your purchase at the Vacaville Campingworld, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering some questions:

1. Did you feel your overall purchasing experience went well? Is there a particular sales rep you would like to recommend?

2. Were you able to negotiate at least a 30% discount or more off the MSRP? How do you feel the purchase price negotiation process went?

3. How was your PDI (walk through) experience? Was the person who took you through your new coach knowledgeable?

4. Are you happy with the Thor Freedom Elite? Any problems discovered so far?

1.We also shopped extensively for a Motor Home before purchasing. We looked at several used Class Bs (so pricey), then at Airstreams (our mechanic advised against pulling even a small Airstream with our Pathfinder) then we stumbled into Camping World, just to look. At the time (12/2016) they had two Freedom Elites (one sold and one with a plastic sink). Sherri Cook (x1249) was so low pressure, that we liked her instantly. (Even ate our box lunch in her office ) Bottom line is that the model was small (which we wanted) with all the features we wanted at a price we could afford ($58,900) which we were told was a sale. (Not sure that the price ever changes ) We didn't buy that day, much to the sales manager's dismay. (He came in to try and close the deal.) After thinking about it at home and checking financing with our Credit Union we called Sherri and set up the deal. (She also called another dealer and found us the same Model with a stainless steel sink and nicer interior colors.)
2. We didn't try and negotiate the price. They list the MSRP at $91000 and stated this was already a sale price. It was good pricing for us and we were happy with it. We did however, obtain outside financing.
3. The walk through was more than great. Joe in the service department found a small ding in the finish and had it repaired before we came to pick up the unit. We told him that this was all new to us and he took additional time to explain, demonstrate, and suggest additional purchases we may want to buy. We didn't feel rushed at all.
4. Re: leaks. Our unit is parked in our driveway and has been hit repeatedly by torrential rains with no leaks. So we seem okay there.
Buying from dealerships is never a pleasant experience, so we stayed calm, respectful and asked all the right questions. I'll have to say that Sherri Cooke is a delight and I would recommend asking for her. She may not know it all, but she will find anything out for you. Her son even works in the parts department. Oh and she's planning her wedding, so hopefully isn't honeymooning when you call. Please tell her we recommended her. Hope all this helps.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #19

Model: Thor Freedom Elite
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5781
Congrats, we have the same model and love ours, a studio on wheels.
2013 Forest River Roo 233S
1986 Jayco Jay 806
Doxie Divas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:54 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite 22FE
State: Tennessee
THOR #10928
Hi, I’m new with a 2016 Freedom Elite 22FE. I found this thread on my iPad and can’t find it on my PC. You gave some great. Checkout tips. I get my unit next week. How do I get to this forum thread for Freedom Elites?