Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #20580
2018 Chateau Questions

I have some questions.

I have a 2018 Chateau with the full-side slide out. After 24-48 hours of having the slide extended, the coach starts to lean (it's no longer level). I called Thor to see if they have slide supports I could buy and they said no. I also looked on line, to no avail. Any advice on how to stop the leaning?

Also, one of the drawer latches in the kitchen broke so the drawer opens during transit, and, obviously, it doesn't close properly. I could not locate the parts on the Thor page earlier. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Either manually lean the coach the other way before deploying the slide (preferred) or after the lean has occurred.

Amazon sells the drawer latches:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N77BKGH/

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:06 PM   #3

THOR #20580
Thank you for the link. Some other latches came up also, which I may try. I like the idea of a magnetic latch.

I have tried what you suggested about leveling, but it still happens. I will have to try some other things.

Putting out the slide really opens up the coach but I don't think the designers thought it through completely, nor did I when I bought it! Lesson learned!
Old 09-18-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Well, to fix the leaning problem you have to find the cause of the leaning problem.

If the jacks themselves are leaking down then you need to fix the "leaking" problem. This could be seals on the jacks or on the valves.

If the jacks are sinking into the ground then maybe something like SnapPads will rsolve the issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Does the leaning occur when you are parked on a solid surface such as asphalt or concrete or when you are parked on a softer surface such as grass or dirt?

It is also possible that there is air in the hydraulic jack system and the system needs to be bled. There are different procedures for bleeding the jacks depending on the system installed. You might call Lippert and talk to them is that is the system installed.

Did you buy this coach new or used?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Amazon sells slide out supports but you have to be very careful using them. They can damage your slide out if it moves or leans too far. You should have an rv tech check to determine why this is happening.

Paul
Old 09-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #7

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
2018 Chateau Questions

I have a Four Winds 24F with full slide. It has electric stabilizing jacks and not hydraulic. Not sure what your coach has.

Here is what I do to keep from leaning.

1. While leveling I add one extra lego block to the slide side of the coach to raise it a bit.
2. Run the slide out.
3. Run the slide side stabilizer out making sure there is a jack pad under it. I wait until the jack hits the ground and go another 2 seconds.
4. Run the other stabilizer out until it hits the ground and maybe a half second longer.
5. Do a fine adjustment with the slide side jack one more time.

The coach stays level until the grey water tanks gets about half full since it is on the slide side. However, the lean is barely noticeable.

I do slide first, then jacks. The reason is if the jacks go down first then the coach will pivot on this slide side jack as it goes out - the center of gravity of the coach is shifting and the jack acts like a fulcrum.

I do the exact reverse procedure for putting the slide in.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #8

THOR #20580
The cause of the leaning, in my novice opinion, is the weight of the extended slide. I have electric stabilizers that I deploy last.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #9

THOR #20580
I bought the coach barely used (it had less than 5K miles on it).

I am also USA (Ret)!

When I say "leaning" I mean that it is no longer level. It happens regardless of the surface it is on, hence the opinion that it is the weight of the full-side slide (behind the driver's door to the end of the coach). The full-side slide is a great idea but poor design without having automatic levelers!
Old 09-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #10

THOR #20580
Unfortunately, Amazon only sells (or I could find) only female supports, which I bought. The track does not come out with the slide so I am using a female support with the female slide and it doesn't work. I looked for flat supports but couldn't find any.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:44 AM   #11

State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
I have a Four Winds 24F with full slide. It has electric stabilizing jacks and not hydraulic. Not sure what your coach has.

Here is what I do to keep from leaning.

1. While leveling I add one extra lego block to the slide side of the coach to raise it a bit.
2. Run the slide out.
3. Run the slide side stabilizer out making sure there is a jack pad under it. I wait until the jack hits the ground and go another 2 seconds.
4. Run the other stabilizer out until it hits the ground and maybe a half second longer.
5. Do a fine adjustment with the slide side jack one more time.

The coach stays level until the grey water tanks gets about half full since it is on the slide side. However, the lean is barely noticeable.

I do slide first, then jacks. The reason is if the jacks go down first then the coach will pivot on this slide side jack as it goes out - the center of gravity of the coach is shifting and the jack acts like a fulcrum.

I do the exact reverse procedure for putting the slide in.
We have the same unit and do the same process.
Only slight mod we do is use an 8"h block under the slide side stabilizer. This keeps the stabilizer contact point farther to the outside (slide side) to provide a wider support.

Original Poster- what model Chateau do you have?
Old 09-20-2020, 01:55 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Don't use slide supports. If the coach tries to rock a bit, and the slide can't go with it...
Old 09-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #13

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuff View Post
I bought the coach barely used (it had less than 5K miles on it).

I am also USA (Ret)!

When I say "leaning" I mean that it is no longer level. It happens regardless of the surface it is on, hence the opinion that it is the weight of the full-side slide (behind the driver's door to the end of the coach). The full-side slide is a great idea but poor design without having automatic levelers!
Automatic levelers won't keep the rig level. They just use a controller to make it level in the beginning.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1600622970
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Humor 02.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	26213  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #15

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Leveling

Since we don’t stay in a lot of places with paved or Level gravel spots I have Made up some jack pads out of treated 2x6x11 “ long and screwed them together in layers 90degrees from the next layer. Screw a little piece of cheap small chain to pull them out later, I’ve been using 3 stacks on boards high, not only is this much larger than the pad on the levelers but the jacks don’t have to extend as far
Old 09-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #16

THOR #5881
Barn mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuff View Post
I have some questions.

I have a 2018 Chateau with the full-side slide out. After 24-48 hours of having the slide extended, the coach starts to lean (it's no longer level). I called Thor to see if they have slide supports I could buy and they said no. I also looked on line, to no avail. Any advice on how to stop the leaning?

Also, one of the drawer latches in the kitchen broke so the drawer opens during transit, and, obviously, it doesn't close properly. I could not locate the parts on the Thor page earlier. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I basically do what Jimbo12 does. I cut pads from a barn mat (4x8 about 40$ at Tractor Supply) and put em under slide side front and back. Sometimes 1 but usually 2. Mud doesn’t stick in em and will last forever. Forget one, lose on big deal, cut another.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #17

THOR #15410
We replaced the plastic drawer catches with these metal ones,so we only have to do it once,as the plastic ones break often. I believe we purchased these at Lowes.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200911_135452560.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	26276
Old 09-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #18

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
Sounds like your leveler jacks are bleeding down.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Ontario
THOR #9645
We have a Fourwinds 24f with full slideout and have the same problem, I had a quote for adding automatic levelers but there are expensive Cad $6300. So for now I leaned on the opposite side when I set up and most of the time when the slide is open it brings it back to a safe level for the fridge.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
The drawer latches Thor uses are crap. Replace it with a magnet latch or one that uses a a shaped door part and a cabinet part with 2 spring rollers. I hade to do one drawer latch, so when I saw the low quality of the thor ones I changed them all.