Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #15030
2018 Four Winds 24SF on Sprinter 3500 Chassis

Just took possession of our new (used) coach. Selling dealership went over a lot of things, but didn't touch on a couple and was hoping to get some information from current owners.

First, the chassis batter under the floorboard in front of the drivers seat. The battery is the original Mercedes/Varta. It appears to be maintenance free, but no color visible in the "eye". It cranks strong, but has anyone replaced theirs and with what brand/size. Since there is no ventilation, is this an AGM battery?

Second coach batteries under the step. There are two what appear to be grout 29 of 31 batteries with fill caps, no brand name or other information visible. The plates as viewed from the fill holes appear to be horizontal, versus the standard vertical. Anyone have any information on the original coach batteries?

Third, every RV we have ever owned has had an antenna amplifier. I ash the salesman and he said it was in the cabinet above the refrigerator with the DVD player. It was not. Is there an amplifier? If so, where is it?

Fourth, the coach came with E-range tires (80 PSI). The door label did not list the range, but indicates that the tires should be inflated to 61 psi. I could understand for D-range tires, but why the odd inflation level? One the ride home we had a lot of side to side sway. I checked the tires when we got home and found about 50 PSI in the four rear tires and 60 Psi in front. I upped the pressure to 80 in the front and 70 in the rears to reduce the sway.
Should I reduce back to 61?

Fifth, first diesel. Saw the DEF filler and ask the salesman when I should fill it up. Answer, each oil change (10K miles) (6100 current miles). Ask the service tech, he said 5K miles. Which is it? Since I don't know how much in in the reservoir, should I just top it off?

Six, there was a water filter wrench on the basement storage under the bed. Is there a water filter I should be aware of somewhere in the coach?

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I have a 2018 24FE on the 3500 Sprinter. Mine has a gauge in the information centers for DEF level. I can’t help you on battery question. I run 60 PSI in my tires. They are E rated.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:32 AM   #3

THOR #15030
Thanks!

I finally found the amplifier, it was behind the main coach TV. I'm going to try out the 80/70 psi levels for a while and see what the ride is like.

I have gone through the Mercedes manual that came with the coach and it does not appear that I have all of the functions that some of the onboard computers have. Some have buttons on the steering wheel and others don't. Mine does not and even after repeating the directions several times, the onboard will only let me change the time, so I am not sure if it will warn me regarding the blue def or not or not.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 24HL
State: Georgia
THOR #11024
Smile Thoughts about your new coach.

I have a similar unit purchased new last year on the MBS it's a Four Winds 24HL.

First I would keep the air pressure at the 61 PSI. That is what the is recommended by Thor based on the weight and engineering of the chassis. Our tire pressure monitor shows a pressure of 61 when we pull out of the driveway it quickly increases to 71 at highway speed. So I'm sure your 80 is getting to 90 psi.

The sway just comes with the stock package, no extra charge ; ) . You will find HUGE improvement by adding Sumo springs front and rear. If you are the least bit handy you can it install yourself lots for vids on YT.

Even though you purchased used you can call Thor customer service for any questions or help the number is 877-855-2867 you just need the last 8 digits of your vin. They are a great help. Ask and they will send drawings of the various systems electrical, plumbing etc.

2018 Four Winds 24 HL Sprinter Chassis
Cats = 2 (Max and Nellie) + Dog (Fiona) = Happy family.
Mred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #5

THOR #11024
Two more thoughts.

Check the year vs the manual. I think MB is recommending either a 15k or 20k oil change if you use specified oil. I talked to the service tech at MB and he said the way we use motor homes, mostly interstates, 20k is not crazy for an oli change. He did recommend a shorter interval on the transmission 30k not 40k because of the weight. He also said that you really don't want MB to do the oil change. Do it yourself or anyplace but MB, they charge to much.

Also the sales guy may be wrong about the DEF unless you have an older one with the larger DEF tank. Mine is the small one which is filled under the hood. That one needs 2.5 gals every 2100 miles or so.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on your new rig!
My Dealer suggested annual oil changes.
The DEF tank: it'll go at least a thousand miles; keep a gallon or two of the stuff handy, and keep an eye on it.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Congratulations on your new rig!
My Dealer suggested annual oil changes.
The DEF tank: it'll go at least a thousand miles; keep a gallon or two of the stuff handy, and keep an eye on it.

The DEF system will give you plenty of notice before it holds you ransom. It's pretty much available everywhere now. My Ford has a DEF gauge on the dash cluster and starts warning you 600 miles before you need to add. It self manages itself...just do what it tells you and enjoy the ride. The fresher the DEF the better, so buy it as you need it from high volume retailers like truck stops or big convenient stores. Stockpiling it or keeping the tank full during the "non-running" periods could result in the "Poor Quality DEF" light coming on.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I was told that also. "It doesn't need a gauge, because it'll warn you."

I still like to be prepared...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #9

THOR #15030
Thanks!

Thanks everyone. Still working on the spare tire (lack of) issue. I was given a phone # for MB to contact regarding a OEM tire cage. I believe that the tire release was in the rear door sill for the Sprinter, which never existed in the cut-away chassis.

The DEF tank took almost all of a 2.2-gallon container.

I'm looking into the shock/spring upgrades. It's been a few years since we had a Class C. Regarding the Sumo springs, did you install them on a Sprinter chassis? I crawled under there and things are pretty tight compared to a F-450 chassis.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #10

THOR #11024
Sumo Spring?

They are not springs like I would picture them here is the amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/SSR-338-47-Su...05900124&psc=1

The fronts seem to more of a bump stop...

You remove the existing chuck of rubber and replace it with a much bigger one. The only tool you really need is a screw driver. The fronts require a little more finesse. We room in the basement for our spare. That's a great thing about the 24HL. I have seen the rack to hold the spare underneath for $150 not sure how you attach the rack to the chassis. We did upgrade the original sway bar. With those 3 things the sway is about gone just enough to let you know it's a MH and passing trucks really don't make much of difference anymore.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:04 AM   #11

THOR #15030
Did you install the "Springs" front and rear?

I watched a video made by that manufacturer of Sumo springs. Looks like they are made of varying densities of urethane and no metal, except for the mounting plates.

So you installed the springs and sway bar in the rear of your MB Sprinter?

I am leaning to start with the larger sway bar/stabilizer first. The reviews have been pretty good.

We have only driven the Four Winds o about 300 miles since we picked it up, but I noticed that we are getting a code on the dash display (113d) . Little wrench and a dash appears just to the left of the code. A tone also started today to accompany the code. The tone and code reappears about every 20 minutes.

I have looked through the manuals and googled the code and nothing comes up. Some similar codes ending in "d" are found. There has to be a list of these codes somewhere? I have read that this code is the number of days remaining or (-) past due for service. I can see there the dash could be a -113 days, however, the numbers don'r seem to change as the days go by.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #12

State: Virginia
THOR #13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civrel View Post

We have only driven the Four Winds o about 300 miles since we picked it up, but I noticed that we are getting a code on the dash display (113d) . Little wrench and a dash appears just to the left of the code. A tone also started today to accompany the code. The tone and code reappears about every 20 minutes.

I have looked through the manuals and googled the code and nothing comes up. Some similar codes ending in "d" are found. There has to be a list of these codes somewhere? I have read that this code is the number of days remaining or (-) past due for service. I can see there the dash could be a -113 days, however, the numbers don'r seem to change as the days go by.
I found on-line that means number of days maintenance is overdue. has to do with scheduled oil changes.