Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
Generator or propane

We are going on our first major trip soon. Should we use the generator for the fridge or propane? I'm not a big fan of driving with an open flame. Each leg of our trip is about six hours? It is also easier to get gas than propane.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Basically....Just flip a coin, each have their good and poor qualities..
IF you have an inverter, no need to run the gennie as batteries should be charged by the big engine when traveling me thinks..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 PM   #3

THOR #8264
I have an inverter, but my understanding is the house batteries are charged by the generator or shore power.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The house batteries are also charged by the engine alternator.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
We are going on our first major trip soon. Should we use the generator for the fridge or propane? I'm not a big fan of driving with an open flame. Each leg of our trip is about six hours? It is also easier to get gas than propane.
Just remember running the frig on propane is unreliable above 5,000 ft, so the generator is your only option. It is my understanding that dual mode friges are not wired through the inverter.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
The alternator will be doing it's dead-level best, to keep ALL of the batteries charged-up. Start your rig up, and let the 'Fridge run on electricity.
(Just make sure that you have the "Use/Store" switch set to "Use"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

THOR #8264
Bob, If I am in the use position does the inverter have to be on for the fridge?I have yet to use the inverter. Why would I ever want to use propane for the fridge? So far I have only used the propane for heat and the bbq. This is our first long trip, we're headed out for three weeks. Thanks
Old 03-29-2018, 10:33 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Mine switches back and forth automatically...
Old 03-29-2018, 10:34 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Always use genie also if it gets to hot inside MH can throw on the AC it uses minimal gas to run it

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:14 PM   #10

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Just remember running the frig on propane is unreliable above 5,000 ft, so the generator is your only option. It is my understanding that dual mode friges are not wired through the inverter.
Our old '99 Thor/Four Winds/Infinity 34-H and our present coach both were wired thru the inverter.. had 2 plug ins , one for the shore power and one for the inverter.....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:56 PM   #11

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
frig

my 37ls outlaw has the fridge wired through the inverter for control power only, the motor runs off the gen or shore power, control power is need to run propane, i sent fridge to auto and let it run propane when needed and it goes to power when plugged in or gen, this is the way it is designed to work and works very very good.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:38 AM   #12

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
If you have an RV refig it is 12V so the invertor is not even in the formula. Invertors turn 12v into 120v, convertors turn 120v into 12v, alternators are turned by the engine running and produce 12v. If you have an rv refig you need to have 12v for the controls, + a method to heat the ammonia. Either propane or 120v. If you do have a rv refig it is doubtful that it is connected to an invertor. Why add complexity and expense to an already confusing and costly system when you already have propane and a battery? No matter what you read on the net driving with propane on is not a problem, otherwise they would not have designed them to work while doing so. Unless of course you can show me a first hand experience of someone having an emergency while doing so. Yes, I do know that A FEW tunnels require the tanks to be shut off. So do ferry boats.

Bill
Old 03-30-2018, 12:39 AM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Not sure which refrigerator you have, but most of the new ones are three way, meaning they will run on propane, 12 volts or 120 volts. You can run it on 120 volts while underway, if you have an inverter that powers it, or you can run it on 12 volts. Either way your vehicle alternator while underway, will keep your batteries charged, replacing what the refrigerator uses. Mine, for instance, is powered by an inverter, so I leave it running on 120 volts while underway. If I park for any period of time, with no shore power, I switch it to LP.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:10 AM   #14

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I second Porkchop's comments. Doubt you have a 3 way fridge in a Windsport, the specs say it is electric or propane. That's 2 way, and your choices are plugged in to shore power, run the generator or LP gas (using 12 volt for spark and to pump the refrigerant.) The specs don't show an inverter.

Let me add another option for you to consider. We have friends that do that, don't open it much, and say it is good for several hours. Don't try that in the southern summer. Like captmetal said, we run ours on Auto, but we turn it to Off at gas stations.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:16 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
A standard 29M has a RV refrigerator which uses 12 VDC for control power which requires the USE/STORE switch to be in USE.

Both the 120 VAC and the propane are used to create heat for the refrigeration cycle. Any inverter you may have will most likely NOT be wired to supply the fridge's 120 VAC unless it is a custom install.

So you are back to your original question: Propane or Generator.

95% of RVs on the road have their fridges running with propane as they travel. If you are running your generator for other reasons it will supply the fridge as well, but the generator was not installed in a RV with an absorption (RV) fridge for the purpose of powering the fridge as you travel.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:00 AM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
A standard 29M has a RV refrigerator which uses 12 VDC for control power which requires the USE/STORE switch to be in USE.

Both the 120 VAC and the propane are used to create heat for the refrigeration cycle. Any inverter you may have will most likely NOT be wired to supply the fridge's 120 VAC unless it is a custom install.

So you are back to your original question: Propane or Generator.

95% of RVs on the road have their fridges running with propane as they travel. If you are running your generator for other reasons it will supply the fridge as well, but the generator was not installed in a RV with an absorption (RV) fridge for the purpose of powering the fridge as you travel.
Second that comment as well. Put it on AUTO, drive....
Old 03-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post

.....cut....

Exactly what he, Porkchop, and others have stated.

Also keep in mind that these same 2-way absorption refrigerators are installed in most camping trailers, and most of those trailers don’t have built-in generators they can run while driving down the road. Therefore, they must run refrigerator on propane. That’s what these refrigerators were designed to do.

If you happen to have a 3-way fridge (and I doubt you do), then 12-Volt operation from battery/alternator is OK, but not necessary. The amount of propane a refrigerator uses is quite low.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #18

THOR #8264
THANKS, For all the replies.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #19

THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Not sure which refrigerator you have, but most of the new ones are three way, meaning they will run on propane, 12 volts or 120 volts. You can run it on 120 volts while underway, if you have an inverter that powers it, or you can run it on 12 volts. Either way your vehicle alternator while underway, will keep your batteries charged, replacing what the refrigerator uses. Mine, for instance, is powered by an inverter, so I leave it running on 120 volts while underway. If I park for any period of time, with no shore power, I switch it to LP.
WOW! Be careful of what you say. I just purchased a 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2 and found out that the refrigerator is only 2-Way, 110 VAC or Propane. I was very surprised to see this but you will need to look up the refrigerator's model number and then look it up on the internet.
Norcold For N61X/N81X models: 6/8 cu.ft., 2-way, R.V. refrigerators. If you do not believe me, look it up!
Old 03-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Mine is also just a two-way: propane, or 12 volt...
But it seems to switch back and forth seamlessly.