Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Congrats on nice rig.

We have a 2016 24.1. Tows 5500 lb open racecar trailer easily. On average, we see no more than .5 MPG hit with extra weight. At scale we are around 18,500 GCVW. Our Vegas is heavier than average due to spares, tools, etc in back compartments. First time I weighed was heavy on front axle so I moved heavier items back. I was also high on tongue weight.

I am able to get in to tight places without issue. Merging and accelerating with trailer is also no issue. Seems like it shifts 3 times before 25-25 MPH. Keeping up with traffic is no issue.

At 18,500 lbs, we got one our best overall MPG per tank average of 10.7 MPG drafting a big DP on I-95. Worst was below 9 on kamikazee run. Unit will cruise at 80 but wife does not like the noise.

Good luck with you machine. Keep tongue weight in mind, hitch has 500 lb rated max tongue even though is 8000 drawbar. It has something to do with framerail extensions. I have had my double axle open trailer at 350/400 without issue on highway and it does not sway or try to steer Vegas.

With the taller tires, lower RPM do you notice any pinging from motor? I will usually top up with premium as mine will sound like it rattles a bit under certain outside temp/load conditions.
thanks for the input and reply..it sounds like you have an E350 , if so, they have a taller rear end gear.(410?).I actually put 19.5, on one of my previous class c's... had to change out the rear gears to 456's I believe.. mine is a E450,.. and I think it's 430 gear ratio... the main reason I like to up the tire size is the 225 is just tooo small, the 235-85-16's ride way better, and slow the rpm down.that and they have a higher load rating, and I can hold the selector in forth and be about 3200 rpms 55..she pulls 6% grades at ease loaded that way,.. with out the tire swap..she don't like 5th and drops to 4th scream'n.. the max tq is at 3200 rpm's

as far as the pinging???you might wanna get the 5star tune..you should not have to run any higher than 87 octaine.. and not sure on fords, but I have heard it's not a good idea.. the 5 star tune adds hp, and corrects the shift searching.... happy trails..

also, what oil do you run?

Old 07-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Mine is the e450. The yellow sticker shows 3,199 lbs Cargo Capacity.

I frequently tow in 6th. Florida is mostly flat. Pining seems to appear when engine lugs going up overpasses around 2100 RPM. I usually speed up a bit and it stops.

Premium is not issue for engine. The timing advance backs off if engine knocks. With no trailer it never pings, is possible what I am hearing is injector solenoid or minor exhaust leak. This week I will pull engine cover to insulate to reduce heat/noise.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #23

THOR #12329
Quote:

I frequently tow in 6th. Florida is mostly flat. Pining seems to appear when engine lugs going up overpasses around 2100 RPM. I usually speed up a bit and it stops.

Premium is not issue for engine. The timing advance backs off if engine knocks. With no trailer it never pings, is possible what I am hearing is injector solenoid or minor exhaust leak. This week I will pull engine cover to insulate to reduce heat/noise.
thanks again for the useful reply... kinda cool to be able to talk to others with the same coach, they pretty much are all the same till sold, then modified to personalize...what one does , doesn't mean everybody needs to do it, but it makes it nice when other respond to what they did.. I always have a lot of idea's.... so I keep busy with do overs...lol.. what was I think'n..
this is pretty much a challenge with my wife.. pulled her out of the alpine DP
and in to this little vegas ruv.. what I found with the alpine... never used it... in fact, after buy'n the alpine, total remodeled the inside,. it just sat... I went and bought a born free built for two that we towed the boat with...launching a boat with a DP is pretty spooky, if that drive line brake lets go, or in the slime on the ramp... bye bye coach... so the concession made to be able to sell the alpine was to get the over sized king bed..and like I said..I spend the most time driving or sleeping, wife also wants the little sofa up front to lay down and read while I drive.... so far I think I hit a home run with this coach... yeah, none of them are perfect,.. but getting as close as you can is best you can do..be nice if they built this coach with the new power stroke..
Old 07-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #24

THOR #12329
Quote:

it would be nice if some how you could just lock the trans in 5th,... like the old style OD button... then you could back off the throttle and climb..
Old 07-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #25

THOR #12329
here's a pic of the outside closet mod,...again..just what I did to be able to hang more clothes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04369.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	11425  
Old 07-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #26

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
I like your thinking. 2X thanks for the write up and pics. I could get used to the plain vanilla look and I really like the rims. I found the Moto Metals MO963 Dually. There's been a great discussion of load carrying capacity and how the stock Michelins are at the edge. What are the tires you chose and why?
TIA
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #27

State: Illinois
THOR #4001
Anyone have leaks in driver or passenger windows the driver side had blisters form on areas below window that was replaced with seal and new covering under warranty, now passenger side is doing it, 2016 ,24,1 vegas
Old 07-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #28

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
I like your thinking. 2X thanks for the write up and pics. I could get used to the plain vanilla look and I really like the rims. I found the Moto Metals MO963 Dually. There's been a great discussion of load carrying capacity and how the stock Michelins are at the edge. What are the tires you chose and why?
TIA
the tires are 235-85-16 Yokohama's the load rating front single is 3042
x2 = 6048..on the front axel..
the rears are 2778 each on duals= 5556lbs per side , 11,112 lbs for the rear axel...I've run these on quiet a few class c's with nothing but good

again, this just what I do and it works for me and what I do with the coach...
that, and the stocks just look wat tooo small,..

I have them on my e350 born free also...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04343.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	11427  
Old 07-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I like the idea of the heavier load rating. Current Michelins are very close to edge of rating.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #30

THOR #12329
I wanted to add, this is not a personal thread...and not a thread to bash Thor,. over all,.. we are very happy with the Thor product... most of the problems are pretty much the same with all the builders... kind of a standard so to speak.. there is not a RUV section, and although they are similar to both class C and class A...they are stand alone in the RV market.. pretty much, if you want tow capacity , and high GCVR,,. it's Thor's RUV,, next , press, if you have a problem that you have found, and even if you don't have a fix... post it.. and I'm sure the friendy people will offer advise as to the fix...Happy trails...V24.1
Old 07-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #31

THOR #12329
Roof AC problem... and my fix...Here's the problem... these RUV's were not designed for extreme Desert heat... what I found was this...outside temp..118 degrees, coach setting out in the sun... inside temp.. 95 degrees and struggling ..the notice was the extreme noise with the fan on high... now open the chill grill (what a joke) and up goes the noise level..the problem is the "Split"... you want around a 20 degree split.. that means .. the air coming out of the reg. need to be 20 degree's colder than the air going into the return, my coach was at less than 10 degrees..
Old 07-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #32

THOR #12329
here's a pic with the grille off
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04371.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	11505  
Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #33

THOR #12329
here's the chill grille... as you can see, it block 50% of the return...if the return duct and service is right.... you don't need the chill grille... now add the plastic filter holder and you loose another 50% of what's left
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04372.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	11506   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04375.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	11507  

Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #34

THOR #12329
so what "I" did was take a piece of sheet metal and seal off the return air to force all the air out the ducts, as soon as I did that Styrofoam went every where, I usually pull al the reg. off to make sure the duct is clean... no telling what you would find... here's an area that always get over looked and you spend the next year cleaning the mess that come out the vents
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04373.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	11510  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #35

THOR #12329
here's the ac mod..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04390.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	11515  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #36

THOR #12329
so here's the deal . coach is setting out in the vegas sun...the sun side exterior wall...147 degrees the shade side 127 degrees...in side the coach it's about 79 degrees, where as before it was high 90's
Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #37

THOR #12329
the sun side dinning area...with the shade down... the shade was 105 degree's inside the RV
Old 07-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #38

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Great mod. Anything that cools down the interior by blocking heat or making the AC work better is tops on my list of mods!

Have you tryed to move your thermerster probe (the one white wire sticking in the condensor coils?). Might see another improvment in that area.

Have you checked the actual temp comming out of the vents? Right how I have mine down to 45 deg - and thats after like 10 minutes of the AC being cranked up regardless of inside temp.

I purchased the small Car AC vent probe from Autozone pretty cheap and it seems to work well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4725.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	11517  
Old 07-16-2018, 11:37 PM   #39

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Great mod. Anything that cools down the interior by blocking heat or making the AC work better is tops on my list of mods!

Have you tryed to move your thermerster probe (the one white wire sticking in the condensor coils?). Might see another improvment in that area.

Have you checked the actual temp comming out of the vents? Right how I have mine down to 45 deg - and thats after like 10 minutes of the AC being cranked up regardless of inside temp.

I purchased the small Car AC vent probe from Autozone pretty cheap and it seems to work well.

thanks for the post;
yes on the temp out the vent ...that's how I check the air split. all my temps were done with a Milwaukee temp gun...for me to get to 45 coming out of the vents I'd have to be somewhere where it wasn't 130 degrees out, the temp is soo hot right now in Vegas, have to wear gloves to open doors and gates at my house, my coach setting out in the sun was 145-150 degrees on the side walls.. and that was before it got hot out....

the finished product of my mod will have the little round ac vents changed out to 4x6 or 4x8'' residential returns, I use the white floor vents,.. and the return will be 18x18'' residential return...makes it more home like in sound and efficiency
Old 07-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #40

THOR #12329
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04379.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	11518