Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2021, 08:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #23348
2019 Challenger 37FH - Suspension Component Identification Help

Hi All. We are buying this 2019 Challenger 37FH and I’m wondering if you all can help me determine what has been done after market to the suspension on the rig? Rig has 6300 miles.

I labeled each photo with the corresponding number below.

Photo #1: Are these the shocks they put on at the factory? I did a search for them and they sell for $35/piece while the marketing materials do say they are top of the line for RVs at this price I’m guessing they aren’t doing much of anything?

Should they be replaced with something more effective? If so, recommendations?

Photo #2: This is a view of the front axel. I think the Red arrow is pointing to the sway control. Is this stock? Aftermarket? If aftermarket, anyone know what it is? If it’s stock, is it as effective as some of the aftermarket products folks have mentioned?

Photo #3: Another look at the front end. What is the red arrow pointing at?

Photo #4: Rear axel. Are the springs stock? They don’t look all that substantial.

Photo #5: front axel. Stock springs circled in red? I will upload in a reply since we can only upload 4 attachments at a time.

Thanks in advance!!

Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	30373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	30374  

Name:	Photo_3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	30375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_4.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	30376  

Old 05-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #2

THOR #23348
Here is Photo 5.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo_5.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	30377  
Old 05-09-2021, 09:13 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscoRV View Post
Here is Photo 5.
1. Most shocks for the Ford F-53 class As are Bilstein and not Monroe.
2. That is the standard F-53 front anti-sway bar. The CHF is to move the bolts inward to shorten the end links. Best to use adapter plates to restore the proper angles for the front anti-sway bar; plates are not needed on the rear.
3. That is the front track bar standard on all Ford F-53 chassis of 18,000 lbs or more.
4.That is the rear bump stop. All I can say I have never seen one like that.

5. Normal Ford bump stops look like picture #5; however, that bump stop (yellow) appears to be from Sumo Springs. The steering stabilizer on the front steering cross-link is aftermarket (the blue tube shown in #5).
Really clean chassis and it appears to be low mileage with some questionable modifications.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:18 PM   #4

THOR #23348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
1. Most shocks for the Ford F-53 class As are Bilstein and not Monroe.
2. That is the standard F-53 front anti-sway bar. The CHF is to move the bolts inward to shorten the end links. Best to use adapter plates to restore the proper angles for the front anti-sway bar; plates are not needed on the rear.
3. That is the front track bar standard on all Ford F-53 chassis of 18,000 lbs or more.
4.That is the rear bump stop. All I can say I have never seen one like that.

5. Normal Ford bump stops look like picture #5; however, that bump stop (yellow) appears to be from Sumo Springs. The steering stabilizer on the front steering cross-link is aftermarket (the blue tube shown in #5).
Really clean chassis and it appears to be low mileage with some questionable modifications.
I thought the Monroe shocks looked a little out of place. It does have the SafeT steering stabilizer but I don’t think it’s installed correctly.

I’ve driven a number of 2018-2019 rigs on the F53 and this one drives like shot. Going to be a bit of work to get suspension dialed in.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #5

THOR #23348
Wondering if it’s an earlier version of these?

https://www.etrailer.com/Suspension-...19111366118182
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3C4885C2-DE27-463A-B907-A30A6A904FF8.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	30385  
Old 05-09-2021, 10:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The only thing added to that rig to help it is the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. Bump stops don't do anything until springs are compressed close to the end of their travel. I doubt those Monroe shocks are any better than the OEM Bilsteins they replaced.

Don't spend money on different bump stops, buy Sumo springs instead. Do the CHF, and then think about aftermarket track bars.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:42 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I have an older lighter coach, but a well balanced left/right front/rear load. It was real easy to collapse the front springs (6,500 lb rating) on most potholes. When the beam axle hits the Ford bump stops, it is a jarring ride. The rear springs don't give up that easily (12,000 lbs.), but occasional you could feel the rear hit also. Sumo Maximum springs cured those problems and added about 30% more roll stiffness. I noticed the dolly tug on the rear of the coach in the winding mountain roads, so I added a rear track bar. That helped with the coach tracking. The final change was increase the front caster to 6 degrees with spring perch wedges. No need for a steering stabilizer. I try to carry 12 lbs more tire pressure in the rear than in the front as the 190 inch wheel base coach has terminal over-steer and that pressure differential helps with the over-steer. That is important when trying to dodge the tire carcass in the road.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:11 PM   #8

THOR #23348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I have an older lighter coach, but a well balanced left/right front/rear load. It was real easy to collapse the front springs (6,500 lb rating) on most potholes. When the beam axle hits the Ford bump stops, it is a jarring ride. The rear springs don't give up that easily (12,000 lbs.), but occasional you could feel the rear hit also. Sumo Maximum springs cured those problems and added about 30% more roll stiffness. I noticed the dolly tug on the rear of the coach in the winding mountain roads, so I added a rear track bar. That helped with the coach tracking. The final change was increase the front caster to 6 degrees with spring perch wedges. No need for a steering stabilizer. I try to carry 12 lbs more tire pressure in the rear than in the front as the 190 inch wheel base coach has terminal over-steer and that pressure differential helps with the over-steer. That is important when trying to dodge the tire carcass in the road.
Thanks! All helpful! I decided to just order everything and get it done with. Plan on keeping coach for a long time:

- Roadmaster Front Sway
- Roadmaster Rear Sway
- Summo Front
- Summo Rear
- Already has SafeT Steering Stabilizer
- Going to have all installed at same time as getting alignment

The only thing I didn't order yet is the shocks - for the life of me I'm not sure why they'd pull the Bilsteins out and put the Monroe ones in!
Old 05-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
good luck nice looking rig. have fun
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	30411  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
challenger 37fh, suspension