Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13098
Leaving the campground in a Class C

We are soon to be owners of a 2018 Thor Four Winds 24F. We not not have a toad as of yet (we have the vehicle, a Honda Gold Wing, but not an enclosed trailer) and I was wondering for those of you that do not have a toad, is it common to unhook and leave the campground if you need something that is not available at the campground (food stuffs, etc)? Seem to me an easy thing to do (easier that if we had a TT).
Thanks for any input

Old 09-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's the entire point of the Toad: to spread your "Wings"! .
Old 09-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
See it happen a lot. Just leave stuff on the pad and put an orange cone on the entrance to the pad
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Common, yes. Convenient, no. It get's old quickly.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #5

Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
We do it all the time. We have a Vegas and no toad. We unhook, leave the water hose, put a cap on the sewer hose and leave it. We put the electrical cord and surge protector in outside storage.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #6

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Same here, we unhook and leave stuff capped on the pad. We have a 2017 24F and have done three 6 weeks trips without towing. We have setup and breakdown to about 10 minutes max so it is easy to go somewhere during the day. We find the 24F gets us into just about anyplace we want to explore. Small enough to get into city parking lots, etc. As a result we have no plans to tow.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
No one mentioned it, but I have heard of people who returned from trips to town and found their site occupied by another camper??? Don't know how common this is or how it was resolved.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think that you'll quickly find that you 'shop' BEFORE you ever get to the rv park, campground, or place for the 'night'... few folks want to 'have' to move once they've set up, though it does happen - we've done it before ourselves.
On the way to Alaska, we lost our toad in Manitoba - took the rest of the Journey thru Canada, around Alaska, and back out thru Montana, Idaho, and Colorado before arriving back in Georgia - missed the toad ONCE that whole time, when we wanted to rest at the rv park before heading back out to Denali place to catch a helicopter to the tundra.

I look at the RV as a vehicle - it will get you most anyplace you want to go - it's just bigger and takes a little more effort to park it... that's all.
Some decide a toad is not really needed for their 'style' of travel, some do.

p.s... the idea that someone is going to 'steal' your site while you are gone is so rare, if ever an issue, it's actually a little ridiculous. Yes, anything 'can' happen to anyone anywhere anytime, but if you've paid for your site, you have nothing to be concerned about. There are few, if any, parks that just let folks roam around finding vacant sites to park in. Leave something as a clear sign if you are really worried.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Destination and Plan have everything to do with it. We are in the per-retirement mode and most of our trips are planned around just camping and being there and breaking the coach in. I've got to address the toad/tow/trailering a car issue next year as we will need something when we head out west for extended trips. As we hit the bigger cities and venture out from there it's possible I'll rent a vehicle for the times we need to. I will probably pull a tandem trailer with a car on it rather than the toad setup...not sure yet. It's a PITA to get to camp...set everything up including the kitchen...then have to break camp and take the coach into town for a loaf of bread. If it's just food you need...plan better. If it's touring you wish...get a small enclosed trailer. You can haul lots more other stuff with you as long as you have the weights and measures worked out.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #10

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
We bought out Compass 23TR specifically for it’s small parking lot footprint. At 23’-6” it’s not much shorter than your 24F. We typically stay one or two nights at any one place and sightsee a lot. The 23TR doesn’t need stabilizers & I only hook up sewer when dumping. Depending on the vibe of the park I’ll leave my water & electrical coiled up at the site. No problems yet.
I did have some folks move it on my site at a state park once but it was an innocent mistake.
I can see the convenience of a towed vehicle (I refuse to call it a frog) if you are staying somewhere for awhile.
Hugh
Old 09-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Put up some Police Tape, and leave a chalk outline of a body on the Pad...
It'll discourage "claim jumpers"; for sure!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #12

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
We have done it both ways. Last summer we did a trip from Maryland to Acadia and Prince Edward Island without a toad. At Acadia, the campground had shuttles to Bar Harbor, and from there you could take shuttles all around Acadia. At PEI we rented a car while we were there, and it was nice to have a car to visit the various sites.

This summer we went to Custer SD, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches, Santa Fe, and back, and we towed my CR-V. It was nice a car to drive around, especially in Yellowstone.

For shorter trips to state parks, we usually just bring our bicycles unless we are planning to do a lot sightseeing, then we'll take the toad.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
When we started RVing we did several 3 month trips. Cross country where we would park the RV for several days and use the toad to explore the area. It was much easier, and much less expensive, to do our sightseeing in the car.

Now our RVing style has changed, much shorter trips and we still take the toad but it often doesn't get used, or used very little.

Whether a toad makes sense depends on your RVing style.

PS. the comment about others occupying your site when sightseeing in your RV probably applies to some state parks and other sites where the site control is not very strong.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:35 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Our first motor home was a Damon Escaped class c on a Toyota Hilux chassis. It had a 4 cylinder engine with automatic trans. It could barely pull its own weight let alone a toad. For supply runs on long stays we carried a small tent. Our empty site looked like someone was tent camping.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #15

THOR #11130
If I were driving by I would have to explore your site...seeing a tent with a sewer hose, 30A cord and a water line run into it!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: that takes "Glamping" to an entirely different level!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
we do it all the time. because of that we tend to not set up the spread like we used to in our popup days...the chairs, rug, tacky lights, etc... I lean towards keeping it simple. Often if I know we'll be in an out I'll not even hook up the water for a short one or two night stay. Wind in the awning and slides, unplug, and if the bikes are down I'll lock them to the picnic table...and go
Old 09-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #18

THOR #11130
Same here...simple camp. Sometimes it's good to have the coach while you tour. At our age, sitting back with a cold one and sucking up some A/C for lunch is good. You never know when the "nappy nap" bug may bite.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
At some point; you have to be careful about your napping...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1537481237
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Napping.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	12950  
Old 09-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 33SW
State: Idaho
THOR #4147
Gritz:

We have a 2016 Four Winds 33SW and our toad is a 2014 Chevy Spark. We installed the SMI Stay-IN-Play braking system. It is built-in to the vehicle and you don't have to place one of those heavy brake pedal controllers. The car is so light, we usually don't even turn it on.

Marshall