Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #10759
2019 Palazzo 36.3 Girard GSWH-2 Control Panel Not Working

I have a 2019 Palazzo 36.3. The Girard GSWH-2 tankless hot water heater has a black control panel in the rear bathroom. Today, it started making a random continuous clicking noise. We were not trying to use water at all at the time I heard it. I tried to turn the hot water on and the LCD portion of the control panel does not come on and the water does not warm up.

It does have power because there is a red light that is illuminated on the on-off switch. However, this button as well as the rest of the buttons now do nothing at all.

Any suggestions? (I don't have a volt meter as we are camping currently.) Just curious if anyone had the same problem so I can help the technician out.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:38 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
One thing you can try is to power-cycle the mainboard. If you open the access panel on the outside of the coach, there is a switch that controls the power to the unit.

First make sure it is on and somehow it did not get switched off. There should be a green LED lit to let you know there is power to the unit. You will need to take off the square plastic cover over the mainboard to see it. Turn the power off and then wait 30 seconds and power it back on and see what happens.

If you can't see any sign that there is power to the unit from a lit green LED on the mainbord, then check the fuse that is next to the switch.

If you see a red LED lit, it means your coach batteries are too weak and / or your Converter is not putting out enough voltage.

I don't have access to my coach or I could be more specific about the location of the LED and color, etc.

The control panel will usually indicate a code if there is a fault. Since your control panel won't light up, there is either an issue with it or possibly an issue with the main board. You can also look at the connectors when you have the access panel open to make sure they all look seated and tight. The control panel connects to the mainboard.

If you PM me your e-mail, I can sent you a PDF of the Technical Manual for the unit that will help you troubleshoot.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:03 AM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #10759
I have tried all of the above and the local mobile tech couldn’t figure it out. Tech support for girard had me try to pull the 8 pin connector off of the mother board and plug it back in as well.

Shortly before the tech arrived today, it randomly started working again and through an error code of e7 after a few seconds. That’s when I tried to remove the 8 pin connector on the motherboard and put it back it and it worked again. As the tech was leaving, it stopped working again and went back to being unresponsive on the lcd controller.

I’m thinking I need to replace the entire unit since neither girard’s tech support nor the rv repair guy could figure out which part or parts are faulty. The motherboard alone is $200 and I have no clue if that’s the issue. It just sucks that we are in 35 degree weather with no hot water for the rest of our trip. I’m so tired of crappy made in China parts.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Sorry to hear about your problem.... especially given the temps. Here is the info on the E7 Error Code:

E7: Linear valve failure:

The Controller Module detects an open circuit in the Linear Valve control circuit before ignition or during normal operation indicating a faulty Valve.

I'm not sure that error code means anything if you actually have a mainboard issue.

But the mainboard is easy to replace without replacing the entire unit. On my last coach, Thor sent me the mainboard and the blower motor when I had an issue under warranty. My issue was a bad blower motor but mainboard is an easy swap out.

I’ve not had any issues with the Girard on my Magnitude. But your story just reminded me that I bought some used Girard parts on eBay for my last coach, including a mainboard. I’m going to start carrying that with my other spare parts just in case.