Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2021, 01:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #22688
Furnace won’t turn off

Any ideas why my furnace would keep running? I have seen posts about water getting in and it just rained here.
I’ve tried everything.
Thanks in advance
G

Old 07-12-2021, 02:06 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmalls View Post
Any ideas why my furnace would keep running? I have seen posts about water getting in and it just rained here.
I’ve tried everything.
Thanks in advance
G
Some more details would help. Is it just the fan running, or is it cranking out heat?
Old 07-12-2021, 02:11 AM   #3

THOR #22688
Just the fan. Cold out is blowing out outside. It is all sealed up. Also, if I can’t figure it out, should I leave campsite or will it just keep running.. In other words. Will I be safe. I’m pretty much a newbie and have figured most things out. But this problem I have no idea.
Thank you
Old 07-12-2021, 02:41 AM   #4

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmalls View Post
Just the fan. Cold out is blowing out outside. It is all sealed up. Also, if I can’t figure it out, should I leave campsite or will it just keep running.. In other words. Will I be safe. I’m pretty much a newbie and have figured most things out. But this problem I have no idea.
Thank you
What is your thermostat set on? Mine has a mode to run the fan constantly... Check that. I would NOT go off and leave it running if you can't figure it out. One of your electrical breakers will shut it off... and most likely your use/store battery disconnect switch will stop it - provided you're not on shore power. Then you have your refrigerator to consider... if you shut everything down, it will also stop working.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:44 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You didn't say what year/Make/Model RV you have but most have an access door on the outside of the furnace. Remove that and there should be an On/Off-Reset switch you can switch off. Failing that you can pull your "Appliance" fuse. It should shut off but that may also remove control power to the fridge. Turn off your propane to keep it from heating if you can't turn it off.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #6

State: Michigan
THOR #19529
I’ve have the same problem. The fan relay that is built in to the circuit board has malfunctioned. Unfortunately, that means changing out the circuit board to solve the base issue. I have a 31S Hurricane, for now I have the on/off switch behind the outside cover turned off until I can get the board replaced..
Old 07-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #7

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardKirk View Post
I’ve have the same problem. The fan relay that is built in to the circuit board has malfunctioned. Unfortunately, that means changing out the circuit board to solve the base issue. I have a 31S Hurricane, for now I have the on/off switch behind the outside cover turned off until I can get the board replaced..
If that's the case, sometimes you can CAREFULLY tap on the relay to get it to release/switch. I had a sticky fan relay switch on our home furnace, and tapping it with the rubber handle of a screwdriver made it switch/shut off. Your mileage may vary... temporary until relay switch is replaced.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Depending on how that switch is wired turning it off may also remove 12 VDC control power to the thermostat which means the A/C won't operate either.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:42 PM   #9

THOR #19529
Thanks for the suggestion!

Tapping on the relay was the first thing I tried. Saw a you video where the guy said the relay I have is l-cheap-o.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #10

THOR #19529
The switch only controls the furnace!

The switch behind the outside cover only shuts down the furnace.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:16 PM   #11

THOR #22688
Thank you

Thank you for all the responses. I have an appt w/ lovely Holiday World tomorrow. I’ve had so many issues w/ Holiday world.
Hopefully, they will be quick but I doubt it. Anyone have a good experience with any holiday world?
Thanks
G
Old 07-14-2021, 10:31 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
The switch behind the outside cover only shuts down the furnace.
Nope, that switch can also remove 12 VDC power to the thermostat. No 12 power to the thermostat and the A/C won't work either.