Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.6
State: North Carolina
THOR #23776
Smile 2019 Thor Axis 25.6 - solar question

I am new to the solar scene for RVs... In looking at my RV, it says that it is solar prepped with a controller and wiring to the top of the rig with connectors for panels.

Do I just need to add solar panels to the top to complete the system? I am trying to figure out what type of capacity I will have and how many panels I can install. We don't boondock a lot but would be nice to have some battery reserve when we do - at least to run fans, TVs, and possibly microwave and coffee pot from time to time.

My questions are:

1. how many panels do I need to install (and total wattage) for current system to be at maximum capacity?
2. Does anyone know what the factory Inverter wattage is for the 2019 Axis?
3. Are the factory house batteries good enough for what I mention above or should I invest in some better batteries?
4. Does anyone know what the capacity/limitations are to the factory installed charger in the 2019 AXIS? Is it good enough for my situation?

I definitely don't want to break the bank as I will boondock minimally but would like some capacity for when I do. Thanks to everyone for you help. The posts on here are very helpful!!

Ray D

Old 06-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Answers in bold below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray&ReginaD View Post
I am new to the solar scene for RVs... In looking at my RV, it says that it is solar prepped with a controller and wiring to the top of the rig with connectors for panels.

Do I just need to add solar panels to the top to complete the system?

Your controller is probably a Go Power 10A. That is good for about 180 watts, maybe 200 if you push it. You buy two new panels, mount them to the roof (lots of videos) wire them in parallel to the MC4 connector on the roof. The rooftop connector is wired to the Go Power controller and then to the batteries. That is all you have to do for up to 200 watts.

I am trying to figure out what type of capacity I will have and how many panels I can install. We don't boondock a lot but would be nice to have some battery reserve when we do - at least to run fans, TVs, and possibly microwave and coffee pot from time to time.

200 watts as long as you don't camp in the shade, will give you enough amp hours to camp for about two nights. You will need an inverter to run the microwave and don't run it more than a few minutes to warm something.

My questions are:

1. how many panels do I need to install (and total wattage) for current system to be at maximum capacity? Two panels, 200 watts total as above.
2. Does anyone know what the factory Inverter wattage is for the 2019 Axis? I don't think the factory provided an inverter at least standard. If it was an option it is usually 1,000 watts, just enough for the microwave.
3. Are the factory house batteries good enough for what I mention above or should I invest in some better batteries? You probably have two Group 27 batteries or about 150 amp hours total. That is probably sufficient for two nights with 200 watts helping out,maybe three if you don't watch much TV and use the microwave.
4. Does anyone know what the capacity/limitations are to the factory installed charger in the 2019 AXIS? Is it good enough for my situation?

The factory charger is probably a WFCO 9855. I think it is a POS (it acts like a fixed voltage charger) and I replaced mine with a Progressive Dynamics 9260 which works much better.

I definitely don't want to break the bank as I will boondock minimally but would like some capacity for when I do. Thanks to everyone for you help. The posts on here are very helpful!!

Parts only for the solar panels will cost about $250 for two 100 watt panel, some mounting brackets and some wiring. The PD converter is about $220. Professional installation will add several $100.

Ray D

Tags
axis, charger, inverter; house batteries, solar panels