Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2020, 08:41 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Picking the right Dealership is probably as important as picking the right RV.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Ok here we go. First off this unit has too many miles to be "NEW" my guess is it was returned by the buyer, it was a dealer demo or rental or somebody working at the dealer used it for awhile. In any case it has been used and abused. But that's not the end. If you have a price that is $65,000 or less take it. You can make an appointment and drop it off at Thor factory repair and get all the problems fixed right under warranty. (DON'T LET THE DEALER FIX IT). So if the money is right and you can do without using it this season, buy it.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:35 AM   #23

State: Iowa
THOR #16358
We have enough issues that we can’t see!! Run away!!!!
Old 08-09-2020, 12:47 AM   #24

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I'm an optimist. However, not a great time to purchase an RV

Due to the China Virus...It's a Seller's market so odds are against you in both available selections and price.

Inventory is very low due to plant closures. So when a cream-puff comes up...everyone is on it.

That said...you only live once and if you're willing to pay a little extra, willing to shop around, and be patient, you'll eventually find your dream rig.

Good luck and remember that we are here for you.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #25

Model: Citation SR24
State: Florida
THOR #13811
Bubbling things on a coach usually mean bad news. I found a ton of this kind of stuff when I was shopping for a used coach. The first thing I looked for was bubbling. Both inside and outside on the shell. Usually this means rotten wood is behind whatever is bubbling. I’m pretty handy at fixing almost anything (except electrical) and even I would not want to mess with this stuff. First off, rotted wood means water intrusion. Just that alone is difficult to deal with. Although, finding a leak is the hard part. Then there’s the repairs. The area where it leaked and anywhere in the path of the water. Now we won’t even talk about mold... I would find something else. This one will cause you heartache. You will spend time repairing when you should be camping.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #26

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by plummah View Post
Thank you all so much for your replies. We were quoted 79990 and I said no way and offered 55k as is and was turned down. After hearing all your responses it may be good for me to just walk away. They did say it was under warranty.

For those who said water damage etc i think the bathroom vent was left open for an extended period of time because the shower curtain is thrown in the back on the floor and it is all brown on one side like water was coming over it. Also the surround is completely coming off the wall like something got behind it.

Is it possible the water damage got under the floor and bubbled It?

This dealer is known for not taking care of their stuff. In our browsing we found units with missing water tank covers, doors open , windows open, rusty wheels and trashed floors. Yet since rv sales are through the roof they are selling this stuff left and right.

And honestly I don't think I would even want this unit for 50k.

Scott
You can find a great used coach that’s been well kept and already had all the bugs worked out for less than $50k.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #27

State: Maine
THOR #19901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
You can find a great used coach that’s been well kept and already had all the bugs worked out for less than $50k.
Jimbo I agree with what you and everyone else said here. I found a used Thor Gemini at Camping World of Syracuse but someone mentioned run away from Camping World in this thread?

The miles thing on this unit is truly puzzling since the refrigerator and microwave haven't been used but the bubbling floor was the end of my interest.

Has any of you found if you buy from another dealer due to your local dealer not having anything causing warranty repair issues, like refusal?

Thanks again all
Old 08-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #28

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I'm an optimist. However, not a great time to purchase an RV

Due to the China Virus...It's a Seller's market so odds are against you in both available selections and price.

Inventory is very low due to plant closures. So when a cream-puff comes up...everyone is on it.

That said...you only live once and if you're willing to pay a little extra, willing to shop around, and be patient, you'll eventually find your dream rig.

Good luck and remember that we are here for you.
Here's a good expose' that was on CBS this morning...
RV life booms during the pandemic

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rv-life...-the-pandemic/
Old 08-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #29

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by plummah View Post
Jimbo I agree with what you and everyone else said here. I found a used Thor Gemini at Camping World of Syracuse but someone mentioned run away from Camping World in this thread?

The miles thing on this unit is truly puzzling since the refrigerator and microwave haven't been used but the bubbling floor was the end of my interest.

Has any of you found if you buy from another dealer due to your local dealer not having anything causing warranty repair issues, like refusal?

Thanks again all
Yes, a dealer in the Charlotte NC area will only do Thor warranty work on a unit purchased from them.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #30

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Camping World is an OK place to buy from if you are able to avoid letting them push you around. That means strong negotiating skills, detailed PDI prior to signing anything and a genuine willingness to walk away (even if it’s “just to have lunch and think about it”). Some franchises are better than others and some salespeople are better than others. And some service departments are better than others. Actually, I recommend finding a local Independent RV repair shop whose sole interest is service. You can go to Camping World’s website and see their national inventory and advertised pricing. Just know that they’ll negotiate from there. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... But you still have to make sure the the Service Department doesn't let you down...
Old 08-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #32

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Thor problems

Run! Run away now while you still can!
Old 08-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So what is the story behind your anger?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:50 PM   #34

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Stored outside in all weather for two years.
If parked closest to the front door of the dealership maybe 2,000 people have walked through it slamming cupboards and kicking stuff... But not ONE of them used the stove or fridge.
Too many miles, could be a dealer trade. A turd no one wanted. Could have gone back to the factory for something too bad for the dealer to repair.

Or the op could just be really wrong about what he 2as told, the dealer rolled it out to a flake, it had to come back due to no Financing, and it's really a used one which was off the lot for a month.

Salesman say stuff, buyers swallow it.

I'm going for:
Pre registered
Salesman showing the one closest to the showrrom.
Two maybe three years of parked outside.
Might be due for a roof or at least a sealing.(dats dems bubblels)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:07 AM   #35

THOR #12610
If all those fixes were easy the dealer would have done them, loose doors make me think it went off road or was towed with wrong towing equipment ,somethings bent. No as is sales in this type of vehicle !!!
Old 08-10-2020, 01:11 AM   #36

State: Maine
THOR #19901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Stored outside in all weather for two years.
If parked closest to the front door of the dealership maybe 2,000 people have walked through it slamming cupboards and kicking stuff... But not ONE of them used the stove or fridge.
Too many miles, could be a dealer trade. A turd no one wanted. Could have gone back to the factory for something too bad for the dealer to repair.

Or the op could just be really wrong about what he 2as told, the dealer rolled it out to a flake, it had to come back due to no Financing, and it's really a used one which was off the lot for a month.

Salesman say stuff, buyers swallow it.

I'm going for:
Pre registered
Salesman showing the one closest to the showrrom.
Two maybe three years of parked outside.
Might be due for a roof or at least a sealing.(dats dems bubblels)

Thanks for the reply! I agree with what you are saying. When I negotiated with them I said 79900 seems high for the condition it is in. I was told a "used one sells for about that and this one has a warranty".

So i did a little more digging and found out while it is a 2019 model, it's on a 2017 chassis that was delivered in...2018. March to be exact. So that faded cap is from sitting in the sun for that long absolutely.

It's just not worth the hassle. I hope someone doesn't get suckered into it. Who knows how much is wrong with it.

Oh on the subject of camping world I had an offer in for the Thor and said I would buy it for this price and they took 3 days to get back to me and then said oh we sold it for more then you were offering. Real classy.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #37

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
... But you still have to make sure the the Service Department doesn't let you down...
I use an independent guy down the road. He and his wife are factory trained on everything. He’s a carpenter. Welder. Plumber. Sells accessories and diy repair parts. Thor has reimbursed me for several “leak” issues he has repaired.

I bought at Camping World but don’t go there for service.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #38

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I use an independent guy down the road. He and his wife are factory trained on everything. He’s a carpenter. Welder. Plumber. Sells accessories and diy repair parts. Thor has reimbursed me for several “leak” issues he has repaired.

I bought at Camping World but don’t go there for service.

That’s what I do as well. Bought from CW 500 miles from home and go to a local guy who is authorized to do warranty work for most brands. He told me that Thor and Newmar are easiest to work with, Winnebago is worst. It’s been quick and effective for us.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #39

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
The last thing to think about on this unit is to have an independent RV inspection done before any type of purchase. Yes they can be expensive but it may be worth the cost if you are still thinking of buying it.

Just another thought before purchase.
Paul
Old 08-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #40

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
I have a thor as well from Camping World. Just the last two words are enough to make me see red