Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #20836
2020 Challenger YT Power Issues

Morning Everyone,

I'm looking for some help with my Challenger that we recently purchased. We had to put it in storage for the last 7mo, and the chassis battery was dead when I went to get it out of storage. I've since recharged the main battery and plugged the RV in to Land Power. All the batteries are showing full charge, but when I take it off Land Power nothing works. The motor will start and it'll drive, but nothing else will power up. The main cabin switch isnt lighting up for power either.

I've check the fuses and all look good, and I checked the breaks.

Not sure what I am missing here.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The "main cabin switch isn't lighting up for power" when disconnected from SP because the house battery voltage is not getting to the DC load buss.
I assume all the DC loads work when plugged in to SP as well as the AC loads?

Check the 50 amp DC breaker in your battery compartment, it may be tripped. Doesn't hurt to trip and reset it to make sure it's engaged. Then switch your USE/STORE (battery disconnect) switch to USE (on) and see what you get. Hopefully that's all it takes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:41 PM   #3

THOR #20836
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The "main cabin switch isn't lighting up for power" when disconnected from SP because the house battery voltage is not getting to the DC load buss.
I assume all the DC loads work when plugged in to SP as well as the AC loads?

Check the 50 amp DC breaker in your battery compartment, it may be tripped. Doesn't hurt to trip and reset it to make sure it's engaged. Then switch your USE/STORE (battery disconnect) switch to USE (on) and see what you get. Hopefully that's all it takes.
I've checked the breaker in the battery compartment a few time and tripped it a few times. When I take it off SP, there is NO power at all. I dont have an on switch in my RV, just a master switch that lights up and when not on SP. It doesnt even light up.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:45 PM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
So while you are plugged into Shore Power, turn "on" the master switch, the batteries may not charge with that off. Do you have a multimeter with that new unit of yours?
Old 12-30-2021, 10:08 PM   #5

THOR #20836
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
So while you are plugged into Shore Power, turn "on" the master switch, the batteries may not charge with that off. Do you have a multimeter with that new unit of yours?
Unless I am missing something somewhere. The only master switch I have is this one,

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	35399

Then I have these 2 breakers in the battery compartment. The 100 I can reset, but dont see how to reset the 50.

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	35400

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	35401
Old 12-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #6

THOR #20836
Also, that master only lights up when its SP and that's it. It would normally light up if it was making a connection to the batteries.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:49 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalZL1 View Post
Also, that master only lights up when its SP and that's it. It would normally light up if it was making a connection to the batteries.
See post #2 to explain why that light is not on.

I see you have the 50 amp DC breaker that has no manual trip on it. If it was tripped, the flag would be out and you reset it by pushing the flag back in.

The 100 amp breaker feeds your hydraulic levels pump and generator. It has no bearing on your current problem.

Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?
Do you know where your latching relay is - the one controlled by your "Main Power" switch?

It's time for deeper troubleshooting. Answer the questions and we can help you with it.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:23 AM   #8

THOR #20836
Quote:
See post #2 to explain why that light is not on.

I see you have the 50 amp DC breaker that has no manual trip on it. If it was tripped, the flag would be out and you reset it by pushing the flag back in.

The 100 amp breaker feeds your hydraulic levels pump and generator. It has no bearing on your current problem.

Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?
Do you know where your latching relay is - the one controlled by your "Main Power" switch?

It's time for deeper troubleshooting. Answer the questions and we can help you with it.
Yes, I am breaking out the multimeter tomorrow when its light out. I don't know where the latching relay is at. The 100amp feeds the Generator, but it wont start either. I am beginning to think the 2 batteries are dead. I looked inside and they seemed dry, added some distilled water, but no change.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:39 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Morning Everyone,

I'm looking for some help with my Challenger that we recently purchased. We had to put it in storage for the last 7mo, and the chassis battery was dead when I went to get it out of storage. I've since recharged the main battery and plugged the RV in to Land Power. All the batteries are showing full charge, but when I take it off Land Power nothing works. The motor will start and it'll drive, but nothing else will power up. The main cabin switch isnt lighting up for power either.

I've check the fuses and all look good, and I checked the breaks.

Not sure what I am missing here.
Quote:
Yes, I am breaking out the multimeter tomorrow when its light out. I don't know where the latching relay is at. The 100amp feeds the Generator, but it wont start either. I am beginning to think the 2 batteries are dead. I looked inside and they seemed dry, added some distilled water, but no change.
OK, now we're on to something.

When you said "All the batteries are showing full charge" you must have meant when plugged into SP - that's not an accurate indication of bateery status - it just shows the converter voltage.

So if you house batteries were dry; even though you added water, they still need to be charged externally (with a stand-alone battery charger). They won't charge by the converter if the latching relay was open, and you can't shut the latching relay with dead house batteries because the control power for the latching relays comes from the house batteries.

Get those house batteries fully charged and them load test them to see if they are any good. They may be due for replacing.
Old 12-31-2021, 03:58 AM   #10

THOR #16471
Am I wrong?

Typically "on" would be "up" on a switch... I see yours is in the "down" or what I consider "off". With shore power plugged in, the red light is lit and the switch (main power) should be "up" or "on" to connect the batteries to the rigs charging system. Maybe I am wrong?

Old 12-31-2021, 05:28 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Typically "on" would be "up" on a switch... I see yours is in the "down" or what I consider "off". With shore power plugged in, the red light is lit and the switch (main power) should be "up" or "on" to connect the batteries to the rigs charging system. Maybe I am wrong?

I believe his type of switch is momentary with spring return down. Click it once to shift the latching relay to one position. Click it again to shift the latching relay to the other position.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:41 PM   #12

THOR #16471
Quote:
I believe his type of switch is momentary with spring return down. Click it once to shift the latching relay to one position. Click it again to shift the latching relay to the other position.
Gotcha!
Hard to keep up with the different systems out there.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:21 PM   #13

Model: Quantrum RC25
State: California
THOR #14016
Quote:
I have the same momentary switch in my RV. The bad part about it is when on SP the indicator light is always on. This deceives the unaware into thinking the batteries are charging, when the latch and converter may be off. I observe the voltage level on the solar controller to find if the latch is open or closed. High voltage=converter is charging. Low voltage=converter is not charging.

I have considered putting effort into correcting the indicator wiring, but that hasn't happened yet.