Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
TMD

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy Class C
State: Texas
THOR #16695
2020 Synergy Flaw

The 2020 Synergy by Thor has a major flaw. Water drips from the ac unit when level and falls on the door/steps as well as gets into the sun shade. Three times my dealer and I have tried to tell Thor this is a flaw and three times they have told me park it un-level so it will drain to the back. The 2019 had a gutter, the 2020 does not. It's ashamed as it's a great floor plan but lousy ac drainage design. I was assured it would be fixed after I purchased it. The 2020 Sprinter body is noticeably better than the past years models.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Maybe put some weather stripping on the roof to divert it?
Old 09-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site TMD.

Not just a Synergy: Many of the Thor motorcoaches simply dump the AC condensation on the roof where it just runs whatever way it wants to.

In the case of our Axis it will frequently drain next to the door and on your head as you enter/exit the coach.

Honestly I'm surprised that Thor had put a gutter on at all!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
It's the nature of the beast and nearly every camper style is that way...not just Thor. It's like the sewer system...you have to deal with it or live with it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
I readjusted my levelers "zero point" so that when "level" the RV is tilted ever so slightly so the drain from the A/C is away from the door. Helps when it rains too, of course. It doesn't take much of a tilt to accomplish that so it doesn't affect anything else in a bad way.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Why not just see if the gutters from a 2019 Synergy can be fitted to yours?
Old 03-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #7

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Same problem on 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST I used Trim-Lok drip rail, Has 3M adhesive strip on the back. Installed in 2016 still there with no problems. Channels all the water away from the door.
Began at roof seam forward of the AC. and exit aft of the awning. Used a gutter extension there. RV dealer had it by the foot. Also on Amazon. Vinyl paint to match..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drip Rail2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	23032  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Nice job!
Old 06-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #9
JMF

Model: Siesta SJ
State: North Carolina
THOR #16303
It is not just Thor, my neighbor has a Winnie View and it has the same problem. I use a short bit of aluminum angle iron and extend it from where it drips off the end of the awning attachment rail. I really think the best solution would be to get a 18” piece of the awning attachment rail called QuicKonnect and just run it down the tube until it extends past the door. It is available but you have to buy a long length of it (at least 10’) so it’s cost is too high $45+shipping. I wish Carefree Awnings would sell it by the foot. If I was 100% positive it would work I might buy it, cut it to length and sell the mod. The whole reason for the problem is the splash from above that goes outside the door gutter.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:37 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I wouldn’t exactly call it a flaw. It’s just a way to reduce the cost of the coach. It’s actually pretty easy to park a bit off of level and direct the runoff to where you want it to go. It does not have to be off level enough to be bothersome. Or, you can add gutters and drip extenders to the corners that will help. Or you can just put a flexible gutter over the door. Or you can, as Bob suggests, stick weatherstrip on the roof to dam the flow and channel the water to where you want it to go. Really, it’s not a very big problem.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD View Post
The 2020 Synergy by Thor has a major flaw. Water drips from the ac unit when level and falls on the door/steps as well as gets into the sun shade. Three times my dealer and I have tried to tell Thor this is a flaw and three times they have told me park it un-level so it will drain to the back. The 2019 had a gutter, the 2020 does not. It's ashamed as it's a great floor plan but lousy ac drainage design. I was assured it would be fixed after I purchased it. The 2020 Sprinter body is noticeably better than the past years models.
Who assured you it would be fixed? If it was the dealer then have them install a gutter at no charge. Hopefully you have that assurance in writing.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote