Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #23260
Newbie mistake…reversed coach battery cables. Ugh

Well, here I am with my first post. I’m not proud of it but it happened to me. Coach battery on my used 2015 Four Winds 31L was old so decided to swap it out with 2 new batteries hooked up in parallel. Reversed the damn cables coming from the coach and blew the chassis battery which has now been replaced. Blew the 2 40a fuses under the bed that protects the inventor which appears to be working since I do see a charge going to the coach batteries when plugged in.

I’m going to go through the rest of the fuses I can see but wanted to see if you guys had any other ideas. The main tv in living area isn’t working along with tv antenna power, radio in bedroom, radio in dash of chassis and the LP/CO detector. Won’t work on coach battery, plugged in or on generator.

The plugs in the rv only work when plugged in to shore power or generator running. Can’t remember if that was like that before or not. Going back out there in a few to see what else I can uncover. What a stupid mistake.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome aboard!
I'm sorry to read how your first post has to be about problem-solving...
When you "cross-thread" a couple of batteries: all kinds of things can get damaged.
Make sure that your main battery breakers are re-set and okay; then start testing anything that isn't wori9ng as it should
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #3

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
For reference, in the future, take a picture of electrical connections and draw a diagram of them. Then when reassembling, refer to the pictures. This is also handy when dealing with plumbing, drains, and anything that's not an area you are completely familiar with.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner77 View Post
Well, here I am with my first post. I’m not proud of it but it happened to me. Coach battery on my used 2015 Four Winds 31L was old so decided to swap it out with 2 new batteries hooked up in parallel. Reversed the damn cables coming from the coach and blew the chassis battery which has now been replaced. Blew the 2 40a fuses under the bed that protects the inventor which appears to be working since I do see a charge going to the coach batteries when plugged in.

I’m going to go through the rest of the fuses I can see but wanted to see if you guys had any other ideas. The main tv in living area isn’t working along with tv antenna power, radio in bedroom, radio in dash of chassis and the LP/CO detector. Won’t work on coach battery, plugged in or on generator.

The plugs in the rv only work when plugged in to shore power or generator running. Can’t remember if that was like that before or not. Going back out there in a few to see what else I can uncover. What a stupid mistake.
First, welcome to the forum.

The electrical outlets will only work on 120 VAC either through shore power or generator unless there is an inverter installed and then the outlets on the inverter circuit will work when the inverter is on and operational.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #5

THOR #23260
Thanks all. Appears the 5amp fuse got the TV, antenna and LP/CO detector working. Now the only thing that doesn’t work is is bedroom and chassis radio. Any ideas there? It is my understanding they are both wired to the coach batteries.

Found a blown 10amp fuse behind the radio in the bedroom. Replaced that and it works, now the radio in the dash. That is super important as it has my backup camera. No idea how to remove it.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Also for future help....I wrapped red electrical tape around every wire that goes to a positive terminal and black tape around every one that goes to negative. The factory cables are either not marked or even are the “wrong” color. I also have taken photos although it’s pretty hard to make them useful - there are SO many of them.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #7

THOR #23260
Yes, I just did the same before reconnecting everything. What a mess…now I just need to figure out how to get the Pioneer AVH-P1400dvd to work. I have no radio or back up camera.

I did check the Ford fuse and those are fine on the drivers side next to brake pedal.

Is there somewhere else I’m missing a fuse? Already checked everything under the bed.

Update, I pulled the radio out of the dash, PITA, no fuse on the back of the radio….running out of ideas. There is a fuse somewhere I’m missing.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Completely different coach but my camera power comes from a circuit breaker that also powers the passenger seat and is in the compartment in front of the drivers side tire
Old 05-02-2021, 09:42 PM   #9

THOR #23260
Well, messed around all day and no luck. Worst part, I put the bedroom slide out to get to the fuse panel and when I went to put everything back in the barn the bedroom slide won’t go back in. Actually both slides all of sudden don’t work. Wtf, I did press the emergency brake when working in the radio, which I see goes into a bundle of wires into the radio along with a reverse sensing wire…could that have tripped something so the slides won’t work. Ugh…so no slides and no front radio and camera.