Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #21811
Adding 2nd A/C

Hey guys! have a 2017 Class A Evo. 30 amp one a/c. We live in Texas and have been on the road for 3 months. Since we only have the one a/c - on really hot days like today (100deg) coach wont get much under 85 deg. I tried blocking the windows, cabinets etc. One tech I talked too suggested putting in a second a/c. They split the amps and double the air. Anyone try this? Does that really work? someone else said the did on their fifth wheel for around 3k. Any suggestions/experience with trying it.....

Old 09-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #2

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
That could be tough on a 30 AMP circuit. The starting amperage will blow the CB.
If you do this. I would wait till the first unit is started and running prior to starting 2nd unit. Make sure your water heater is off, and Refrig. while running 2 AC units.

I think a replacement RV with 50 amp service and twin AC units might be the best bet here...
Old 09-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRV View Post
Hey guys! have a 2017 Class A Evo. 30 amp one a/c. We live in Texas and have been on the road for 3 months. Since we only have the one a/c - on really hot days like today (100deg) coach wont get much under 85 deg. I tried blocking the windows, cabinets etc. One tech I talked too suggested putting in a second a/c. They split the amps and double the air. Anyone try this? Does that really work? someone else said the did on their fifth wheel for around 3k. Any suggestions/experience with trying it.....
Several owners have add a 20 amp cable from the pedestal to the A/C just for the second A/C. My coach came with 30 amp service and I found I could not run the single Mach 15 A/C with the microwave, so I converter the coach to 50 amps and added a Mach 8 heat pump in the bedroom.

Another alternative is to use two Mach 3 PS. There is even an new model Mach 3 PS with soft start and quiet fan. They only draw about 13 amps where the Mach 15 draws 15/16 amps.

Finally, there is a Mach 8 Polar Cub that draws only 9 amps. As with all Mach 8s, it has two motors: a quiet two speed fan for the evaporator and single speed one for the condenser. <https://www.rvpartscountry.com/> It should wire in easily as all Plant 750 coaches have the wiring chase for a bedroom fan.

I highly recommend a Mach 8 for the bedroom because it so much quieter than the Mach 15, 10 or 3 with only a single motor.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:51 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
You can probably run a second unit if you equip both of them with an Easy Start and run nothing else (microwave, water heater, coffee pot etc.). Just stay with a 11K BTU unit for a second AC.

The other option would be a power management system but that will be pricey and pretty involved to install.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:23 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I added a second unit last summer. It was an interesting and fun project. My coach didn’t have an available ceiling vent so I had to cut a new hole. Hardest part was toting a 100 pound machine up to the roof. I used 12/2 Romex which I ran through the ceiling and down through the bathroom wall to the basement and over to the electrical compartment. I put a circuit breaker and an inlet in the compartment so I can use a heavy duty extension cord to plug into the 20 Amo outlet on the power post. Or if there isn’t one I have a splitter that can plug into the 50 Amp outlet to feed my 30 Amp circuit and the new 20Amp one. On its way to the basement I routed the Romex to the “living room” to feed an outlet that I use for a space heater during cold weather. It lets the 30 Amp system stay fully able to run the microwave, water heater etc. very happy with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2534.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	33386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2535.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	33387  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg