Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2023, 12:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #29545
2023 Axis 24.1 door handle

A relative pushed down on the inside door handle as they were leaving the Axis. The door handle broke off and the door was closed. Cell phones and other personal items are still inside. With the inside handle broken the latch cannot be opened from the outside - all of the internal parts are askew.

I called Good Sam yesterday and a guy came out and tried to open using bladders and tools with no success and left. I had explained to Good Sam that this is not a typical lockout, so the guy they sent was fine butdid not have the skills needed

I then used a screw driver to try and get to the latch - bent the crap out of the edge of the door - but was not able to unlatch it.

I have a request in with Good Sam to send somebody else out. Perhaps with the latch somewhat exposed, the next guy can get it open.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this? The youtube videos on this are for a different latch mechanism than the one I have.

Thanks,

Old 05-28-2023, 01:17 PM   #2

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
A professional locksmith will get the job done.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:40 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #29545
Thanks Matthew

I did get a master locksmith out and despite his best efforts, we had to saw through the stud on which that latch was frozen.

General RV said make an appointment and they are at 4+ weeks out. Once I leave it there, a tech will look at it and order any parts, if it is determined to be a warranty issue.

I then called Thor and they were great! Sending me a new assembly and I will get it in.