Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2022, 03:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Kentucky
THOR #27799
2023 Thor Axis/Vegas Engine and Transmission Oil

My wife and I purchased a new 2023 Thor Axis 24.1 and I am getting very close to 1,000 miles and want to change the oil however, I cannot find the oil fill cap. Also how do you check the transmission oil. I can see the dipstick but, have no idea as to how to gain access to it.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:23 PM   #2

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Get a flashlight.... Open your hood and just to the driver side of center about an arms reach inside there is an oil fill spout with filler cap.

To add oil make an elbow of PVC 3/4 inch tubing or clear plastic tube or a combination. On the web some people make an oil pump using a pump up weed sprayer. Not hard to get oil inside but not real fast and easy.

I don't know about the tranny....we need to look into more as we get a few more miles.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #3

State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Why are you changing the oil after just 1,000 miles. As it is a PITA to do, I would sure wait until it hits Ford's recommended oil change mileage.

David
Old 10-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #4

THOR #27799
2023 Thor axis/Vegas, engine and transmission oil

I had read somewhere that Ford put break in a while in these vehicles, and after 1,000 miles it should be changed. Maybe due to the fact that the motorhome weighs more than a truck might put this vehicle in extreme use, I really don’t know I’d rather be safe than sorry.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Break in oil in engines was used maybe as late as early 60,s

No need to change now although some Diesel engines state that as an option due to fragmentation although a good filter should certainly catch the lions share

Be interesting to hear some other thoughts on this

I have way over 100 new engines over the years and never changed at 1000 miles
Old 10-18-2022, 05:41 PM   #6

THOR #24565
I don't think break-in oil is used and modern engines are vastly cleaner on the inside with modern machining processes. Yet, we still change ours between 1,000 and 1,200 miles. This may be overkill but the new engines still have break in and seating of parts that produces fines that an early oil change will remove.
Since we change our own oil this may be a $50 "warm fuzzy". But Boy I feel better!! haha.

We also try to change our differential at about 1/2 the recommended interval. The differential is usually filthy on that 1st change. Later changes are often cleaner than that 1st one.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofft1355 View Post
My wife and I purchased a new 2023 Thor Axis 24.1 and I am getting very close to 1,000 miles and want to change the oil however, I cannot find the oil fill cap. Also how do you check the transmission oil. I can see the dipstick but, have no idea as to how to gain access to it.
Hey I go to Traci in billings montana and they do all this for $98 including lube tires etc and they recommend every 3000 miles
Old 10-18-2022, 10:23 PM   #8

THOR #27799
Found it, Thanks.
Have you found out how to change the chassis battery when that time comes about? I do not like cutting and drilling. It would seem like the company would have made access to these items.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:25 PM   #9

THOR #27799
Thanks. If I out that way I'll check that out but, I live just south of Ft Knox, KY in Elizabethtown.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:53 PM   #10

THOR #20220
Quote:
Found it, Thanks.
Have you found out how to change the chassis battery when that time comes about? I do not like cutting and drilling. It would seem like the company would have made access to these items.
My 30 year tech built an access panel under the passenger dash side. Cut bigger hole used metal plate easy access screws and FAT mat sound deafening material
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:56 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Quote:
He gave me this as a gift and said it uses on https://a.co/d/ciHIB2hhard to reach oil fills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221018-165536_Chrome.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	39784  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 10-19-2022, 01:26 PM   #12

THOR #27799
I like that, thank you for sharing.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #13

THOR #24565
That engine battery location is problematic. I took off the flip-back dash "desk" and removed the plastic tray used for a cover. Thor had installed a piece of scrap plywood with metal extensions so all we had to do was unscrew that scrap piece to be able to see the battery.

I am still pretty capable, but leaning into the dash and reaching down into engine to lift out the battery is going to be a job. Looong reach to get it. I keep hearing about access panels such as Scubawise mentions. That maybe the route we go.

When time and temps allow I'm going to pull the passenger front tire and take a look.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:46 PM   #14

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
That engine battery location is problematic. I took off the flip-back dash "desk" and removed the plastic tray used for a cover. Thor had installed a piece of scrap plywood with metal extensions so all we had to do was unscrew that scrap piece to be able to see the battery.

I am still pretty capable, but leaning into the dash and reaching down into engine to lift out the battery is going to be a job. Looong reach to get it. I keep hearing about access panels such as Scubawise mentions. That maybe the route we go.

When time and temps allow I'm going to pull the passenger front tire and take a look.

Thor told me that if the front wheels are turned I think all the way to the left is how they and battery changers get to the battery. I have not tested yet. But my tech built the expanded access panel.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:12 PM   #15

THOR #24565
Thank you. The effort to get access that way seems easier than lifting through the dash. And a job such as cleaning the terminals would be easier.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:53 PM   #16

Model: AXIS 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #6051
Since I cannot do it myself (although I would like to) I take mine to my local Ford truck dealership. No problem. Oil & filter, usually $65.00. They even do alignments which handling better.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hey I go to Traci in billings montana and they do all this for $98 including lube tires etc and they recommend every 3000 miles
That’s a new one! Lube tires? Mine don’t squeak yet!
Old 10-22-2022, 07:59 PM   #18

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
That’s a new one! Lube tires? Mine don’t squeak yet!
Sorry they lube chassis air tires check all lights etc
Oil change check brakes
I would never do the oil myself!
Not good at that stuff.
Former Amex executive

Tags
2023 axis/vegas, engine oil, oil, transmission oil