Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2019, 01:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #17503
24.1 insulation

Have read every thread about insulating for noise on my 2017 24.1. Did the dog house last year.--not satisfactory.
We run our RV usually twice a year- form midwest to southwest about 2200 miles --8 to 10 hours driving a day for 4 days. I don't run slow always at 70 or above as we get into Texas,New Mexico, Arizona 75 mph. Our normal conversation is WHAT?? Our tone is just below yelling to override the drone. this is on some what smooth surface . loud surface we are yelling.
Don't know where to start --have someone spray insulation under dash --will it hold to the black paper ??? Has someone got any ideas how to hold sound deadening sheets to the under side of the dash---Not much room??? Is this where I really want to insulate?? -- or is this futile adventure with a lot of effort and no satisfactory results?? My radio is of no use
by the way--I absolutely love my VEGAS for everything else

Old 12-06-2019, 03:19 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

I have the self-sticky fat mat insulation stuck to the underside of the dash. So far it has stayed there for 5 seasons now.

Another thing you'll want to do is plug the holes at the bottom of the A-Pillar (the posts on either side of the windshield). Those let the sound in and resonate it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:49 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We have a fantastic new stretch of i40 here. Truly as smooth as pavement should ever be.
The doghouse is insulated on my 24.1, much will be added later including 200lbs of refractory cloth, but right now, just the dog house.

On that stretch of very fine, maybe the finest stretch of highway ever, the decibels count in my King Ranch is IDENTICAL to the decibel count in the 24.1.

We just don't have a problem until we're on bad road.
It's the bongos making a lot of the noise. The bins on each side tied by the bass chamber under the seats. They amplify the slightest bump and thump.
Open the bins and look from on side of the rv to the other. Tap the side of the bin. It's like thumping a five gallon Homer bucket.
Then the fenderwells are next as culprit. Cavernous things beating the air to death.
And close the roof vents.

Punchline:
Fix the bongos and see if you can live with it.
The insulation idea gets out of control quickly if you let it.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
We have a fantastic new stretch of i40 here. Truly as smooth as pavement should ever be.
The doghouse is insulated on my 24.1, much will be added later including 200lbs of refractory cloth, but right now, just the dog house.

On that stretch of very fine, maybe the finest stretch of highway ever, the decibels count in my King Ranch is IDENTICAL to the decibel count in the 24.1.

We just don't have a problem until we're on bad road.
It's the bongos making a lot of the noise. The bins on each side tied by the bass chamber under the seats. They amplify the slightest bump and thump.
Open the bins and look from on side of the rv to the other. Tap the side of the bin. It's like thumping a five gallon Homer bucket.
Then the fenderwells are next as culprit. Cavernous things beating the air to death.
And close the roof vents.

Punchline:
Fix the bongos and see if you can live with it.
The insulation idea gets out of control quickly if you let it.
Interesting thought: How would you fix the bongo's? Plug the cross channel? (I use that to store my extra long window wiper) Put fatmat around the outside of the bongo to make it less reflective of the sound?
Old 12-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #5

THOR #13932
I found my wipers(and I mistakenly bought the 32 instead of the 28 so if you come to the west coast meet I have a free set of 32 for you) fit very nicely in the outside TV bin.

I'm going to wrap my bins with one inch refractory cloth (the wooly stuff used in pottery kilns) because I already have it then wrap that in a water barrier all held with those 4ft zip ties or plumbers tspe(the metal straps with all the holes in it) you see at Lowes. But I'm VERY open to other ideas.
I've been wondering if roofing membrane was almost as effective as the sound insulating sheets they sell at such a high price. I bought some seam sealer used on roofs. It's 6 inches wide and looks a lot like that $12sqft stuff they sell as sticky sound insulation.

I think the crossover cure I'll try is storing blankets in the crossover.
I don't want to plug it in case I need it. Some harbor freight packing blankets and tarps might be handy to have one day and are easily displaced if I need that slot. The slot intrigues me and I know when I need it it'll be critical, but we travel light and anything long enough to need that bin will probably fit across the back of the basement. It's that 'probably' which makes me think blankets.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #6

Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #10201
Insulation

We not only did the doghouse, but we put the same one sided sticky insulation in the whole motor compartment. We put it anywhere it would stick. We made a trip to Tennessee last summer from Texas. Bad roads pretty much the whole way and even on the worst parts we were never above a somewhat elevated voice. Most of the time we are talking in a normal tone of voice. So put that stuff anywhere you can reach. Helps with heat and noise wonderfully. Ducks face is a good person to ask as well as several others on the forum. We have made most all the mods on our 24.1 that are on the forum including today we are working on the gutter storage on the dash submitted by Duckface. Thanks Ducksface for that idea. Merry Christmas everyone
Old 12-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #7

THOR #13932
You're going to love that rain gutter mod.
Thanks for the thanks.

Thor Forums - View Single Post - I want to start a new thread about nothing, and let it run...
Old 12-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #8

State: Indiana
THOR #17503
question on wheel wells and foam insulation

Ducksface had a thread about wheel wells that i'm interested in seeing a picture of. I can't seem to find that thread. I also saw another thread where a member made them out of sheet metal. My 2017 has a flat plastic piece over the the coil spring on each wheel but it does not go all the way forward to the nose. I am trying to look at places where sound deadening will help most. the plastic piece on the passenger side looks like it had been foamed to the mirror side of the nose but the drivers side is not. What type of foam does the factory use--can we buy that ?? Can I just extend that existing wheel cover forward then seal it?? Naturally I'm going to insulate under the dash also--and maybe the bongos later.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have done a TON of sound (and heat) insulation in my Axis as well. Its much better than factory but IMO is still a little loud at 75 mph (but not bad at 65 mph).

I dont think (or expect) it will ever be "car" quiet inside.... most of what I hear now is outside wind noise from the mirrors? (and the side windows?). I have changed the angles of the mirrors (folded them in all the way but still able to use them fully) and installed soft gasket material on the leading edge of the mirrors and windows.... but nothing seems to help.

You need to put two+ layers under your hood, bottom dash and on the firewall (all from under the hood). Insulate under the folding desk and everywhere else you can add insulation on the inside.

I also insulated under and inside anything I could elsewhere in the RV.

Its all helps but I think the next big improvment for me will be from installing fender wells with more insuation inbetween them and the body.

But I will still have the wind noise (unless I installed double pane windows).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:43 PM   #10

THOR #13932
Thor Forums - View Single Post - I want to start a new thread about nothing, and let it run...
I try to keep my mods all in one thread. If I start a new thread it will have a link to this thread.

This is part numbers and pictures for the wheel wells.

They're pulled out of the 24.1 again while I work on extra battery placement and chassis battery move.

But

If you look in my thread on the last page or so someone else has installed the same fender wells. You can ask him for pictures.

I have in the mod pile:
200sqft of 1 inch refractory cloth(weighs about 90lbs.)
200sqft of double side aluminum foiled bubble wrap
64sqft of 2inch ridgid foil sided foam
64sqft of half inch foil side foam
2 cases of foam spray
About 120sqft of poly foam like the nice squishy white foam they pack electronics in.
A hundred feet of foam door seal.
A plastic pickup truck bedliner that will be whacked into a belly pan from the front fascia to about midtransmission.

If I put any of it on and it makes it worse I'll be OK with the slight labor involved.
Bellypans will be put on using 1/4-20 nutserts, so it'll come off quickly.

Other daily dose crap has been in my way so no mods lately.
I'm in a bad mode of:
In 20" of snow the new tire spun on the rim of the gator flattening it and wrapping the tire chain around the axle while a half mile from home requiring I take the tractor to get it dislodged from where it froze to the ground, drag a floor jack up to the house, make a tool to get the damn chain unwrapped, tire is cold and squished and won't seat, which doesn't matter much because it cut the valve stem also, so I'll build another tool.
Multiplied by 100 other bullshit 'build a tool and fifteen steps to even get started on the normally thee minute job' jobs. But the good news is we live on open range and a herd of cows came through yesterday and pulled up and ate about 500 tulips and crapped everywhere.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
You could always use a can or two of Flex Seal on those fenderwells. I've used Flex Seal on my coach in various locations with some pretty good results (may also be good to spray behind the storage compartments...hmmm).
Old 12-10-2019, 12:33 AM   #12

THOR #13932
I've been looking at flex seal and that brand of so it yourself bed liner.
I found something interesting at home depot.
It's 6 inch wide tape that looks like the sound insulation rubber. It's for sealing roof membrane. It's really sticky. Seemed cheap when I bought it, but I often have lapses of 'wholly crap! Why the hell did I pay that!'
But this is worth looking at the next time you're in a box store. It should be great for sealing the edges of the fenderwells to the frame.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:56 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I've been looking at flex seal and that brand of so it yourself bed liner.
I found something interesting at home depot.
It's 6 inch wide tape that looks like the sound insulation rubber. It's for sealing roof membrane. It's really sticky. Seemed cheap when I bought it, but I often have lapses of 'wholly crap! Why the hell did I pay that!'
But this is worth looking at the next time you're in a box store. It should be great for sealing the edges of the fenderwells to the frame.
That sounds like Eternabond tape. That stuff is really sticky.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #14

THOR #12231
Holy Axis Duckface..... your getting serious about sound deading. Take plenty of pictures and give us updates when you can. Im always interested in more sound deading mods.

Im just afraid with all of the glass in the cockpit there is only so much you can do. I think hear more wind noise than anything. But I have not done inside my front fenderwells yet so that might help.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #15

THOR #13932
The rv is filling a void between obsessions. Insulation and electronics are the simplest mods I can do myself.

There seems to be nothing else even far out on my horizon that seems interesting....
I don't find the rv to be anything to obsess over. It does allow tangential application of current knowledge and a bit of new understandings.

It's just a big dumb truck you can poop in.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #16

THOR #12231
Yep, the first two years of ownership I was trying to mod everything I could to make it better (for me). Dumped a lot of money in the old girl. Im happy with the results but I didnt have as much time on the road (yet) to reap the rewards of my mods. Hopefully 2020 will my my year.

I just have a handfull of small mods to complete (dimmer switches for interior lights, more outlets and usb charger ports etc), 12 v fans, solar? Im sure I will think of a few others by springtime.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
LOL you just have to pace yourself. I try to do a couple of mods a year at most (some are big, some are small). Some years its 3 or 4 and some years its 1 mod and a bunch of fixes because I broke things doing that one mod.

At least each season it is a little better...
Old 12-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #18

THOR #12231
Yeah but you get the "mod bug" when you purchase something new and I wanted to have it all set for what I "thought" were the short comings and for what helped me work on the road. So Most of the big ones are behind me.

But you always come across the little things to fix or modify after each trip. If it warms up during the holiday..... I will have to tinker with the RV some.

Its like a disease. LOL.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Hmm if that is the case then the "mod bug" hasn't gone away for me..5 seasons in
Old 12-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #9701
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo666j1 View Post
Ducksface had a thread about wheel wells that i'm interested in seeing a picture of. I can't seem to find that thread. I also saw another thread where a member made them out of sheet metal. My 2017 has a flat plastic piece over the the coil spring on each wheel but it does not go all the way forward to the nose. I am trying to look at places where sound deadening will help most. the plastic piece on the passenger side looks like it had been foamed to the mirror side of the nose but the drivers side is not. What type of foam does the factory use--can we buy that ?? Can I just extend that existing wheel cover forward then seal it?? Naturally I'm going to insulate under the dash also--and maybe the bongos later.

THIS inner fender well install was a very easy using self tapping screws and fender washers. Right hand fit perfectly and left hand required trimming around the shock tower. Then sprayed enter underside with #3M rubberized undercoat for sound deadening. Very happy with the results. Here a few pix form my install!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	21780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	21781  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg