Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
2500 mile Windsport 29M road trip report card

We left the eastern most part of Long Island on a two week trip in our 29M towing a Jeep Wrangler. This was our first major trip and our first time towing anywhere other than local. I cannot say enough good things about the Ready Brake Elite tow bar. We have it down to about 5 minutes to set and even less to take off. Through the steep hills in Va. It performed flawlessly. We could not even tell the Jeep was behind us. Our first overnight was in Georgetown Deleware then of to Virginia Beach through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel. We have driven it twice In our car, but forgot the tunnel is two tight lanes with no shoulder of opposing traffic. If there is something more than white knuckle driving this is it. With semi trucks coming towards you at 55mph and only a few feet in between I held my breath the entire time and I believe my wife has not started breathing yet. Immediately after getting out of the tunnel we swore we would never do it again and added another day onto our trip to go around. Our next stop was Wilmington NC for a few days then off to Yemassee SC for four days so we could visit Charleston and Beufort. The heat was now in the upper nineties and approaching 100 in Charleston. I keep reading how one ac (which we have) will not keep the coach cool. Our coach stayed extremely comfortable and we could still have made it even cooler. At night we closed the vents in the livingroom to force the air towards the rear. On our way back to Wilmington we pulled into a rest stop to realize our generator was running but not supplying any ac to the coach With help from this site we tried everything to no avail. Arriving in Wilmington we fortunately had shore power so our trip was not spoiled. A local mobile tech could not make it to us but advised us it was proboly not the transfer switch because it switched to shore power. Next stop The Outer Banks for five days.Hot Hot Hot but still we remained cool despite the lack of shade. Our Thor is still performing super despite being rattled from bad roads. We had two major overnight storms on the OB and the rv stayed dry. Next Charlottsville Va and Allentown Pa to avoid the tunnels on our way home. To sum up We love our Windsport and it performed well. The improvements I plan on investigating, is to see if there is a way to soften the ride and still some handling improvements. Despite doing the CHF and adding Safe-T-Plus, alignment and tire balance the coach still requires constant steering ajustment at higher speeds (60/65) and cross winds can add a challenge. Semi trucks are extremely manageable and are of no concern. If your on the fence of buying a Thor, after the initial warrenty tweaks, I think for the price point it's a bargain

Old 06-26-2018, 09:54 PM   #2

THOR #8264
I forgot three little mishaps. Don't use a hairdryer at the same time as the ac with a 30amp rv. When I was dumping the black tank in Charlottsville the hose broke off the connector at the black tank (it was brand new). Fortunately I was standing right there so we didn't leave too much DNA. We also had a spare hose. The 30amp pedestal didn't work in Yemassee so we had to use the 50amp. We also carry an adaptor so it was no big deal. I guess there is no perfect trip.I forgot three little mishaps. Don't use a hairdryer at the same time as the ac with a 30amp rv. When I was dumping the black tank in Charlottsville and the hose broke off the connector at the black tank (it was brand new). Fortunately I was standing right there so we didn't leave too much DNA. We also had a spare hose. The 30amp pedestal didn't work in Yemassee so we had to use the 50amp. We also carry an adaptor so it was no big deal. I guess there is no perfect trip.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #3

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
Sounds like you had a great trip. We love our 29m as well
Old 07-21-2018, 02:01 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Wow cant believe i missed this report when you posted it.

Soulds like a great trip. So what was the gen fix????

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #5

THOR #8264
Jerry, We just got back from another short trip. The problem with the generator was a loose wire in the junction box above the generator. All is working perfectly now. Fortunately our local dealer was able to trace and repair it in half an hour.