Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Where to find detailed specs and list of options?

As I was reading the different threads on batteries and inverters, I tried to see exactly what was included on certain models and also what is optional upgrades. Unfortunately specs on Axis/Vegas on website are not very detailed. It might state an optional TV or two but not the model numbers. Similarly it shows an option for a second battery but doesn't state what size or type the standard or optional batteries are. And if factory-installed inverter/chargers are optional (not listed on general specs), where is a list of optional types, sizes, brands, etc.?

Is this type of information up to the buyer to confirm at dealer lot? Can buyers review a list in advance of ordering? Or is there a detailed spec that can be pulled up on the web?

Old 06-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think you are at the mercy of Thor's purchasing process. In that they don't list the specs because they could change from build to build.

They probably simply buy a bunch in bulk and when those are used up buy some more (of the same or different; doesn't matter as long as it fits in the unit).

So you'll end up with a run of units with a specific TV or radio (the Jensen 212, or the Axxera one) and then a run with different items.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
As I was reading the different threads on batteries and inverters, I tried to see exactly what was included on certain models and also what is optional upgrades. Unfortunately specs on Axis/Vegas on website are not very detailed. It might state an optional TV or two but not the model numbers. Similarly it shows an option for a second battery but doesn't state what size or type the standard or optional batteries are. And if factory-installed inverter/chargers are optional (not listed on general specs), where is a list of optional types, sizes, brands, etc.?

Is this type of information up to the buyer to confirm at dealer lot? Can buyers review a list in advance of ordering? Or is there a detailed spec that can be pulled up on the web?
This is not just Thor but multiple manufactures:

Since manufacturers use different vendors to supply items for coaches specific brands and models may not be know at the time the brochures are written so they keep them generic.

When the coach is built is when the build sheet is assembled and at that time the makes model and serial numbers for items is listed on that build sheet / component listing. As a note, I have not yet seen a build sheet for any manufacturer that lists any info for batteries.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #4

THOR #2121
So it's up to buyer to confirm every detail? This would essentially prevent ordering any motorhome.

So there is no way of knowing whether a motorhome comes with a 160 amp-hour battery or a 100 amp-hour? What about whether batteries are flooded or AGM?

I don't understand why the size/capacity and type of batteries can't be stated up front. Class B manufacturers often do. And battery brand is important too. The value of a Trojan or Lifeline AGM is very different than a generic flooded battery.

Same with inverters. A pure sine is very different than modified. Capacity also makes a huge difference, as does whether it is a simple inverter or an inverter/charger.

I guess I need to research the entire buying process. It sounds like you have to find one you like, inspect the heck out of it, and then decide what it's worth to you as presently built.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #5

THOR #2121
While using the Thor web page to build an Axis, I found the section on graphic choices shows the motorhomes without the drop down entry step.

Looks great that way to me -- would make a nice option.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Neither the Axis or Vegas have drop down steps. Our elderly lab had started balking on those steps with our previous A, so only having the interior stairwell is really appreciated on our Axis!
Old 06-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Retired View Post
Neither the Axis or Vegas have drop down steps. Our elderly lab had started balking on those steps with our previous A, so only having the interior stairwell is really appreciated on our Axis!
I don't know the correct name for what I called a "drop down step". I understand what an interior stairwell means, which I like, but I was referring to the actual entry door being set lower than the side of the motorhome.

Most of the other Thor motorhomes do not drop the door so low that it requires an offset in the body work, whatever that's called.

I just found it interesting that Thor would have gone out of their way to modify the Axis' profile for the graphics display. Seems odd they would not use the actual side view with lowered entry unless they thought it looked better with a straight lower edge.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I don't know the correct name for what I called a "drop down step". I understand what an interior stairwell means, which I like, but I was referring to the actual entry door being set lower than the side of the motorhome.

Most of the other Thor motorhomes do not drop the door so low that it requires an offset in the body work, whatever that's called.

I just found it interesting that Thor would have gone out of their way to modify the Axis' profile for the graphics display. Seems odd they would not use the actual side view with lowered entry unless they thought it looked better with a straight lower edge.
It could be that they did that because folks like me would immediately notice the lower ground clearance and potential for bottoming out over railroad tracks or speed bumps. The ground clearance has to be measured at the lowest point and that is now under the door and from a live photo it looks to be reduced by a good two to three inches.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
It could be that they did that because folks like me would immediately notice the lower ground clearance and potential for bottoming out over railroad tracks or speed bumps. The ground clearance has to be measured at the lowest point and that is now under the door and from a live photo it looks to be reduced by a good two to three inches.
I agree. The first one I saw was at an indoor RV show where it was parked on a very flat floor, and while empty the ground clearance was less than 7-1/2 inches at that point. I don't remember exactly how much less than that, but it certainly got my attention. I used my thumb to index finger calibrated gauge.

I find the very low step design odd because the Axis/Vegas is marketed as a "sporty" RV (the RUV designation and all), which I would normally associate with younger buyers. Yet to me many of the design details suggest Thor was going more after older buyers -- maybe thinking of those downsizing to make it easier to drive and easier on wallet. A flush entry step would still be adequate for most younger campers, and the lack of a sizable rear garage for bikes and other sporting equipment also doesn't seem very "RUV" to me.

On the other hand Thor have become the largest RV manufacturer so what I find strange doesn't carry much weight.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I find the very low step design odd because the Axis/Vegas is marketed as a "sporty" RV (the RUV designation and all), which I would normally associate with younger buyers. Yet to me many of the design details suggest Thor was going more after older buyers -- maybe thinking of those downsizing to make it easier to drive and easier on wallet. A flush entry step would still be adequate for most younger campers, and the lack of a sizable rear garage for bikes and other sporting equipment also doesn't seem very "RUV" to me.
From what I've seen of the marketing for the Axis/Vegas it isn't designed for the "Sporty" folks that you're thinking of (people bringing their bikes off-roading, active types, etc.). From the literature its more like a tricked out conversion van to bring the kid to the soccer tournament, baseball tournament, etc. Spend the weekend parked in a school parking lot 100 miles from home watching 3, 4, or more games.

In addition, if you look at the floorplan for the 24.2:

This one, to me, screams: Tailgate party. Look at it: 3 large TVs (2 inside, 1 outside), generous kitchen, no permanent bed space (like the 24.1 has). If I were to regularly tailgate football games in the fall, or baseball games in the summer this is exactly the layout I would want.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:36 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
So it's up to buyer to confirm every detail? This would essentially prevent ordering any motorhome....

A you have probably figured out by now, RVs are not built like automobiles, (or Class B - modified vans).

Having the buyer confirm every detail hasn't stopped the RV industry yet, and is actually one of the reasons RV shows exist. It's also the way that allows dealerships to compete, by outfitting their otherwise identical rigs slightly differently.

You are supposed to go to RV shows, (or visit various dealer lots), and compare and confirm all the little details that you can spot, ask questions of the manufacturer's representatives, and then make a well informed purchase from the high pressure sales person.

As for specific models and brands of items used to build an RV, that's completely up to the manufacturer. You can see which inverter is used by looking at the control panel when you visit an RV show or dealer lot, for example. Same for the batteries. You can always swap out anything you don't like after you buy it.

After your purchase, you can look at the build sheet, (or request one from Customer Service once you verify your warranty registration and provide your VIN number). It will provide a detailed list of everything that was installed in your particular motorhome, along with serial numbers.