Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: New York
THOR #3187
I guess I have just had bad luck with this ACE 29.3. Here is what we have had to have replaced or fixed so far:
-Slide out motor
-Slide out reinforced
-Inverted repaired
-Leveling jacks motor replaced
-Shower door would not close
-Missing eyes on the night shade
-Board broke under the bed
-Replace awning lights
-Entry door jammed
-Back up camera did not work

I guess we have just had some bad luck but we love the RV experience and I dont think it will deter us.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:28 AM   #22

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
Wow bikegolfgirl.........that's a lot of issues with a new rig. That's not bad luck.....that's ridiculously bad luck! Maybe they shipped the repair parts to complete your rig in a seperate box........I'm sure you've complained about all the repairs.....wonder why the dealer didn't compensate you for the down time. Good luck......
Old 01-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #23

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Not bad luck = Thor quality!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #24

THOR #3187
Because I brought it from Camping world and in my area they seem to all stink.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #25

THOR #1295
The dealer dows not care either - simply wants your sale. But the quality of the product is the responsibility of the manufacturer! THOR! Slap them together and sell them as fast as they can.

People on here flap their lips about price vs. quantity of the product to which I simply ignore. Sure a BMW costs a lot of money but they deliver quality! You can have it both ways in the RV industry and we should not have to pay 2 or 3 hundred thousand to get it. They can easily do it if they wanted to! Easy!
(THOR)
Old 01-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #26

THOR #3187
I may not have a lot of experience with RVing at this point but when I buy a new car whether it be a BMW or a Honda I expect the same level of quality. I have been very disappointing with the dealer and Thor. The whole industry makes it clear if you want quality you have to spend the big bucks.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #27

THOR #1295
$100,000.00 in my opinion is the big bucks! Not to Thor though! So sad!
(THOR)
Old 01-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #28

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Texas
THOR #1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
We also bought our ACE 29.2 from Camping World in Chattanooga. Size is great for us (don't need the bunk beds). Our unit was very well prepped and we have not had any issues. We added doors to access under the dinette and a electric fireplace under the dinette to enjoy in the evenings. RV's or boats, they both are more useful with a handyman owner for minor repairs and improvements. (ps: we got a terrific deal from Camping World)
Brown ACE, We too have an ACE-and I'm a great handyman. Would like more info on the heater installation under the dinette?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #29

THOR #3187
So what happens to us all that are not great handymen?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #30

Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl View Post
So what happens to us all that are not great handymen?
Unfortunately you need to call the handyman. and pay the big bucks for silly repairs. I use google and YouTube videos and after hours of researching I begin my project. It might take me 3-4 times longer than a professional but the coast is way lower.
I have had my 30.2 for 2 months and I always tinker around on that thing. I see it as house work but only times two to keep the RV in order.

In regards to major issues I would jump up and down on my dealers desk to have them fix my unit as quick as possible.

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #31

THOR #3534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappydude View Post
Reachmee,

What kind of service have you gotten in Hillsboro? I've heard some negative comments about their service dept. but I could probably say the same for Wood Village. My rig has been out there since Dec. 19 - a couple of minor warranty repairs and some modification to the fresh water drain area in the bedroom. They also ordered some parts for one of the drawers in the bedroom - and when they came in, realized they'd not ordered something else to go with those parts. That's a two week delay. Better to leave it there than drive 70 mile round trip to spend the half hour to put them in. I'm supposed to get it back this Sat (23rd).
Drive down 104 off of McDonald - after Saturday, you'll find me! I'm usually home!!
Pappy
Pappydude,

Regarding service in Hillsboro, my rig has been in the shop for the last two weeks for a number of small issues covered under warranty and to install a satellite dish. They've been particularly knowledgable and friendly but not particularly speedy because they are waiting on a couple of parts to be shipped from Thor. They had indicated that I could come and pick it up while the parts are being shipped but, like you, I decided to just leave it there - rather than to drive out there and pick it up. I am supposed to pick mine up on Friday (1/29).

I'm up on Bull Mountain so not too far from you at all. One of these days I will stop by and introduce myself.

Cheers!
Old 01-31-2016, 11:27 PM   #32

THOR #2824
Reachmee stated: I'm up on Bull Mountain so not too far from you at all. One of these days I will stop by and introduce myself." Please do - I'm usually close by.

Wood Village Camping World had my coach for 5 weeks and didn't complete the panel providing access to the fresh water drain and low spots because he "misunderstood" what I told him - twice. He relied on an email, but didn't listen to the phone call we had 2 days later where I changed my mind and asked to have the work done. A week later when I picked it up you can imagine my disappointment and frustration. I'll try to tackle it when the weather gets warmer.......I know what it looks like behind the panel so any modification I make will be at my discretion and "slowness" - but it WILL get done.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:38 AM   #33

THOR #3601
We just purchased an Ace 29.3, drove it home and started outfitting it for the road. Our first trip will be 2-9-16, for the week. We are brand new to this and this coach fit our current needs. An afterthought though was the outdoor kitchen, we lost a lot of storage there but so far I have everything packed that I need to take. Nice design and floor plan, I changed out my seat to "all" electric, the original seat was too high and couldn't be lowered. We changed our the Jensen stereo in dash to a Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX with Sirius and Navigation with CarPlay. I've crawled every inch of this coach, detailed any loose wires, mounted DVD, wish us luck.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #34

THOR #3187
Did you do all that work yourself?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #35
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
We just purchased an Ace 29.3, drove it home and started outfitting it for the road. Our first trip will be 2-9-16, for the week. We are brand new to this and this coach fit our current needs. An afterthought though was the outdoor kitchen, we lost a lot of storage there but so far I have everything packed that I need to take. Nice design and floor plan, I changed out my seat to "all" electric, the original seat was too high and couldn't be lowered. We changed our the Jensen stereo in dash to a Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX with Sirius and Navigation with CarPlay. I've crawled every inch of this coach, detailed any loose wires, mounted DVD, wish us luck.
Sounds like a good start... The more you know about the RV from crawling around - the easier it will be to find/fix issues as they arise...
Good luck with your rig - and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #36

THOR #3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl View Post
Did you do all that work yourself?
I negotiated the seat and Nav system when we bought it, they installed. My only complaint so far is their wash and detail dept. They are outside contractors and suck.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #37

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Weekend Trip

Rooster, I suggest you spend the first 1-2 nights in your RV very close to home, and with a tool kit, and a way home if you get stranded. Just my personal experience, relying on a brand new RV to be trouble free in a hours long drive away from home, for the first trip, is pushing the envelope, especially with a THOR built product.

Read some of the posts on here from people making long distance trips on their first excursion, in a brand new THOR motor home. Some are very scary.

Personally, I bought mine in October of 2015, a brand new THOR, and it has been in repair shops ever since! I have never been unable to use it for a single night, in 3 1/2 months, and counting.

Lastly, if you do buy one, make sure it doesn't have Harris house batteries!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:53 PM   #38
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Of course remember we often only see the bad stories here...

It is good advice to make the first trip close to home... and I intended to follow that with our current RV (our second) - but the timing of purchase, one return visit to dealer to fix a few items - and a visit to another dealer to install tow system (primarily on Jeep - but brake monitor on MH) - left no time to do so... So its first trip was a 3 month trip from Michigan to Florida last winter.

Knowing that was happening - I certainly spent more time crawling around and checking... and always carry an assortment of tools (and had the toad behind in case) - but no major issues.

Not something I'd recommend in general - but they don't all end up bad...
Old 02-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #39

Model: 34.2 miramar
THOR #3693
Ace 29.3

First off I purchased what should have been the ultimate , 2012 winnebago Via with Mercedes-Benz platform. My first mistake was buying from Lazy Days Florida my second was thinking I bought the best money could buy . Al though I must say the Mercedes-Benz engine was perfect.
The 5th day of driving the radio stopped working so I drive back down to Lazy days with theMH to have the radio checked , got to see the service rep there and as I was telling him the story of radio proplem he turned his back looking in a book and wrote something . Upon turning back to me passed a note with phone number and said call these people for help . It was thenumber for radio manufacture. Thats how my experiance started.
Anyway had no less than 12 major problems with that unit.
Hopefully the Ace will do better for half the cost.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #40

Model: 34.2 miramar
THOR #3693
I don't expect any luxuries at all but I do expect quality for what they offer in unit,not the inexcusable workman ship that I've seen so far.