Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
ACE 30.1 Exposed Grey Water Dump Line

My 2017 ACE 30.1 has a “heated” wet bay (e.g. there is a hot air duct from the heater into the wet bay), which leads you to think that there is some degree of freeze protection for the black and grey tanks. However...

I was under the rig a couple of weeks ago running wire for a Bogart battery monitor and was a bit surprised to find that the grey tank dump line is fully exposed to outside conditions. The line comes out of the “floor” of the unit about 10-12 inches into a 90 elbow and then runs about 18 inches into the wet bay to the grey water dump valve. No insulation, or protection from the weather other than being tucked up under the body.

Seems to be a very weak point in the design as when its cold out, the line is fully exposed and is going to be the place where things will freeze up first. I don’t use the rig in the winter (or at least woudn’t use the water systems it until I got far enough south), but it was a wake up that the heated wet bay won’t help in preventing a freeze up of the grey water dump line. Effectively the coach water system isn’t really protected.

I suppose you might be able to dump a gallon or so of anti-freeze in the grey tank first, but I have low confidence it would actually stay in the low points of the system. I’ll have to check the specific gravity of RV antifreeze. I’d rather find something heavier and not miscible with water. In my refining days, we used to fill instrument leads with a wonderful thing called Krytox which had a gravity of something like 2.0 But its about $300 a pound or more. Anybody know of something like that, but which is a whole lot cheaper?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #2

Model: Ace 29.4
State: North Carolina
THOR #9094
freezing

I have ace 29.4 and my wife wants to camp in Michigan for Xmas and new year.
Wondering if using heater full time will keep water and black and gray tank freezing
Don't think this unit comes with heated pads for tanks
Old 09-24-2017, 12:39 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild bill View Post
I have ace 29.4 and my wife wants to camp in Michigan for Xmas and new year.
Wondering if using heater full time will keep water and black and gray tank freezing
Don't think this unit comes with heated pads for tanks
If you are in the rig (or more specifically have the heat on) - things like your fresh water tank should be fine... They are in the living area more or less.

The gray/black - the tanks themselves should be fine - plenty of room to expand even if it were to freeze...
The dump pipes mentioned in the first post would be a concern... If you will be hooked up to sewer - leave your gray valve open so it runs right out. Not sure if the black pipes are exposed at all on your unit.

Disconnect any fresh water lines into the rig if freezing is possible (run off your internal tank and water pump). Protects both your hoses and the supply lines...

(or as Jamie said in the other thread you started on same topic... an option is not to use the water system and stay winterized...)

Note that in some rigs - running a space heater is not the same as running the furnace - as the furnace may have ducting into a wet bay that a space heater wouldn't reach. Though you can use one to supplement the heater - just be sure it doesn't keep the heat from cycling on.

Expect to burn through a LOT of propane if it gets into the low 30's or colder... Typically not well insulated. An 'extend-a-stay' or similar to allow an external propane bottle - or a means to refill might be good to have in mind.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:50 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Pour a little pink stuff in the tank, doesn't take a lot unless it's really cold. Bay heater from the furnace will keep things thawed but when driving the moving air can cause a freeze, that's why you want a little pink stuff in the tank, about 1/2 a gallon should be good.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
In the high desert of Arizona, I have had my water hose freeze overnight sometimes during the winter. No big deal, it normally thaws out once the sun comes up.
Noticed on my new unit, that the drain for the freshwater tank is on the outside on the drivers side. A clear pipe runs from the tank, that is under the bed inside to the drain valve. That pipe is going to be exposed to the cold. Think I am going to have to add a cut off inside next to the tank, so no water will stay in the line that goes from the tank to the drain valve. Or, maybe just put pipe insulation on the line? Wonder why they did that when it has heaters for both the grey and black tanks but they would leave the fresh water drain pipe exposed?