Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2016, 02:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Ace Bed Lift Kit - Do you have one?`

I recently bought a kit from Camping World that comes with two gas struts to aid in the lifting of the bed to access the storage compartment.

After getting the kit, I realized it is likely the wrong kit for our 2016 Ace 29.3...

Has anyone on the forum installed one of these kits? If so, how did it work for you? Which kit did you use? Any problems? Would you do it again? Thanks in advance.

Bob

Old 09-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Bob, I had the system on my class c. The struts were fastened with wood screws, the result was the bed was so heavy the screws came out and I had to use a stick even with the struts fastened to hold the bed in the up position. My 2cents.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
On our Windsport the bed is to heavy for the strut supports so I took 3/4 inch pvc, cut it to length and put a T on each end. I made a U shaped block of 1x2 wood and screwed it on underside of mattress support for the upper T to rest in. I had to cut the length of the pvc a couple of times to get it right but works good. The T on each end of the pipe keeps it from moving and coming down on my head, works pretty good.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
under bed

On our ACE 29.2, the water tank is under the bed so there is only room at the foot for a large laptop or extra blanket. Not worth the effort of a strut.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My Challenger came with one lift strut for the bed. Since the area below the bed is the storage area for 2 folding dinette chairs it is required when getting the chairs out or putting them away. Yes the bed is heavy but the strut that came installed is working fine to hold it in place. I may consider adding a second one further down the road as a "just to be safe" measure.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Our Windsport has a HUGE storage area under the bed, the only thing we have under there are two dirty clothes baskets.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:37 AM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
I recently bought a kit from Camping World that comes with two gas struts to aid in the lifting of the bed to access the storage compartment.

After getting the kit, I realized it is likely the wrong kit for our 2016 Ace 29.3...

Has anyone on the forum installed one of these kits? If so, how did it work for you? Which kit did you use? Any problems? Would you do it again? Thanks in advance.

Bob
After talking to the distributor in Colorado, they rushed me two smaller struts at no cost to me. I will see how they work and post the results.