Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2015, 04:29 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #2333
2015 vs 2016 differences in the Axis or Vegas?

Soon to be an Axis or Vegas owner and was wondering, with the 2016 models out now, what is the "main" differences between the 2015's vs the 2016 models? Obviously if the price is about the same I'm going to go with the 2016 but can you possibly get some substantial deals on 2015 models now that the 2016s are out?

Old 06-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #2121
The Ford E-Series stripped chassis on which the Axis and Vegas are built has been updated for Ford model year 2016. I'm not sure when that 2016 chassis will appear in motorhomes. From what I've been told here the chassis and motorhome model years don't run concurrently.

The main chassis update I'm interested in is the switch from the old 5-speed 5R110 automatic to the much newer 6R140 presently used in SuperDuty Ford trucks and larger commercial trucks. This applies to chassis like Axis/Vegas with the V10 engine. Other E-Series with the 5.4 V8 will continue with the 5R110 in 2016.

Another change that should be announced within a month or two is an additional floorplan. I was told it would be called the 25.3. It's supposed to have a dinette in front without a slide (to provide forward-facing seating -- a must for me) but reportedly will have a rear bedroom slide on driver side (unfortunately for me because I prefer no slide at all).
Old 06-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The 6R140 is a slick transmission.

The other differences are model dependent. For example: The 24.1 model recently switched the way the bathroom door works (not sure if that was a 2015-2016 switch or a 2014-2015 switch). In the older models the door is a two piece folding door that, when open, combines the bathroom with the rear bedroom making for a large changing area.

The newer version of that door splits the fold so that the doors are more like a clamshell and when open the connect to the other side of the camper making just the bathroom bigger.
It is diagrammed in the floorplan: 2014:

The newer 24.1 also has some USB charger connections and a 2nd radio in the back bedroom. The TV is also larger in newer models.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
the bathroom door was a 2015 - 2016 switch. My 2015 has the folding door which I don't really object to.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

The other differences are model dependent. For example: The 24.1 model recently switched the way the bathroom door works (not sure if that was a 2015-2016 switch or a 2014-2015 switch). In the older models the door is a two piece folding door that, when open, combines the bathroom with the rear bedroom making for a large changing area.

The newer version of that door splits the fold so that the doors are more like a clamshell and when open the connect to the other side of the camper making just the bathroom bigger.

The newer 24.1 also has some USB charger connections and a 2nd radio in the back bedroom. The TV is also larger in newer models.
On the lastest large Class C I rented for a long trip the 5R110 was OK except for engine braking on steep mountain roads. I would have preferred manual control of gear choices which I believe the 6R140 provides. Hopefully it will be set up that way on Axis.

I'm curious if you know what the short line between the two doors on the new 24.1 represent. Is it a door stop at top and/or bottom only, or does it run up and down blocking access. I'm hoping that's not the case. It seems like if vertical partition it would block access to sink.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I'm curious if you know what the short line between the two doors on the new 24.1 represent. Is it a door stop at top and/or bottom only, or does it run up and down blocking access. I'm hoping that's not the case. It seems like if vertical partition it would block access to sink.
I haven't seen one in person, but looking at the pics on Thor's website I don't think there is a pole blocking access. I'm more inclined to believe that its just a stop at the top.
This image implies there is no pole:

If you search around enough for sale sites you may find a pic that shows what you're looking for
Old 06-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Could be some walk through videos out there too. Don't know for sure though, but there were some that came out when the Axis/Vegas were on some sales lots a year or so back.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
On the lastest large Class C I rented for a long trip the 5R110 was OK except for engine braking on steep mountain roads. I would have preferred manual control of gear choices which I believe the 6R140 provides. Hopefully it will be set up that way on Axis.

On our 2016 Vegas 24.1 it is a metal bracket on the ceiling that the magnetic "thingy" (maybe not the official name!) on each door attracts to. Works well
Old 06-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #9

Model: 2016 AXIS 24.1 RUV
State: California
THOR #2172
Go to this thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...ence-1457.html
Look for entry #10
Old 06-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
On our 2016 Vegas 24.1 it is a metal bracket on the ceiling that the magnetic "thingy" (maybe not the official name!) on each door attracts to. Works well
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I like this door arrangement better than the original. Seems simpler and more rugged. I still like the bathroom in the 25.2 better because it doesn't block the aisle or access to refrigerator, but the extra space is nice.

By the way, do you ever use the bathroom with doors fully closed? Is there enough room to move around inside without having to block the aisle and fridge?
Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #11

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:

when you say the 6R140 is slick, what exactly does that mean, and how is it different from the 5 speed SR110? thanks.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
By the way, do you ever use the bathroom with doors fully closed? Is there enough room to move around inside without having to block the aisle and fridge?
In either configuration the amount of "room" in the bathroom with the doors closed is the same. It is a tight fit but you can do what you need to do in there with the doors closed (use the toilet, wash your hands, etc.). The only time we really use it in the "dressing room" setup is when someone is taking a shower.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:24 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26
when you say the 6R140 is slick, what exactly does that mean, and how is it different from the 5 speed SR110? thanks.
Look here for more info on the 6R140:
6R140 info sheet (Ford, PDF)

That would be cool if it brought the select shift option to the RV world!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #14

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:

Wow, that is a slick transmission. lol
Old 06-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:

I'm patient and gladly wait for what I want, in large part because I keep vehicles a long time. The manual mode addresses what I didn't like on 5R110. I just hope it's not deleted as an option.

For what it's worth, it will also come on 2016 Ford model year F53 motorhome chassis.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:03 AM   #16

THOR #2333
Thank you guys so much for addressing this question!

Just thought of one more though. Assuming you have smaller adults it would seem to me that you can sleep 6 people (3 couples) in the 25.2 instead of the 5 that Thor officially lists. However, the 25.2 has only 5 spots with seat belts. So, can you still travel with 6 somehow? I guess someone or a couple people could be on the queen bed while traveling? And this may be a dumb question but is it legal to travel in an RV without wearing a seat belt?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:13 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I like this door arrangement better than the original. Seems simpler and more rugged. I still like the bathroom in the 25.2 better because it doesn't block the aisle or access to refrigerator, but the extra space is nice.

We just finished a 3,900 mile trip from Michigan to home in Washington. Plenty of room (although tight) with the doors closed. We use with both doors as a dressing room after showering.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak Angler Drew
I guess someone or a couple people could be on the queen bed while traveling? And this may be a dumb question but is it legal to travel in an RV without wearing a seat belt?
In our 24.1 there is a large sticker in the rear bedroom warning that no one should be riding in the beds whilst going down the road--I would suspect that it is illegal to travel in any vehicle with more passengers than there are seat belts.

We have an upcoming trip where our son is bringing along 3 friends which means the wife will be stuck driving her own car following along since there wont be enough belts (she'll probably be happy in the solitude of her own car while I have to deal with driving and 4 rowdy teenagers! LOL). Fortunately we are going to a local campground not too far away.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #19

THOR #2121
The 25.2 rear bed folds when slide is retracted, probably making it impractical to use while driving. Beyond whether it's legal, riding at the back of RVs with dual-rear-wheels can be harsh. Owners of 25.1 may be able to comment on that.

Many buses and shuttles operate without seat belts, so there must be exceptions.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #20

THOR #2333
Interesting. I thought the rear slide in the 25.2 had a real mattress and it did not bend/fold when slid in. I mean, if it is just as comfortable as the beds in the others or a sleeper sofa then I might just change my floor plan preference. I was only wanting the 25.2 because it appeared to be a more comfortable mattress.

I guess the option for me, to be legal, would only be a 25.1 if I wanted to try and sleep 6 and ride with 6 as well. Unless this new floor plan that people are talking about (25.3?) comes out soon.