Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
ACE driver's seat.

One would wonder why the people at Thor decided there was no need for the driver's seat to move up or down. It seems they have taken the one size fits all approach. When I first drove the I was wearing engineer boots with a nice heal. When I drove it later after taking delivery I found wearing sneakers my heal no longer touched the floor. Needless to say it was a very funny feeling. So if you are shorter than 5-8 or so, you will need a substantial heal on your shoes to reach the floor. The shorter you are the bigger the problem. On the other hand, if you are quite tall you likely will have other problems relating to the fact you cannot adjust the seat up or down. Also, your passenger is likely to have his/her feet dangling above the floor. This was never a problem with my previous Class C coach. I know my wife doesn't like her feet dangling very much. So what do you think the designers of this series is thinking? I would love to hear your thoughts about this.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
It's really quite simple, it's an entry level model. You can get a lower pedestal with an electric adjustable seat if you wish.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #3

THOR #4032
Entry level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
It's really quite simple, it's an entry level model. You can get a lower pedestal with an electric adjustable seat if you wish.
Really? With a MSRP of $112K you would expect more. Maybe an entry level motorhome shouldn't include three tv sets, an oven, and many other nice items. My "level entry" Toyota Matrix has an adjustable drivers seat. Sorry I don't agree. I think this is a safety issue and not just a comfort issue.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #4

THOR #3186
Yup, really!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
We have an ACE 30.1, and at 5'2", I knew that I'd have to get creative with how to manage driving. Well, the best option I've come up with is to use 2 Lynx levelers under my right foot & one under my left. They don't shift on the carpet, and they're not in the way. And when I'm not driving I use them on the passenger side, or use a collapsible stool.

I agree that the rig is an entry-level RV, but it would have been a nice option. I think we'd have paid for it.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:12 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I'm not sure if you can on his model. I have the 30.2 and I have the same problem. I tried to remove the pedestal so I could modify it to be shorter but I found that it was welded in. The only thing I can see to do is cut it out.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:16 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3486
Yes, it is a bad design. We have a 2016 ACE 30.1 and with a few seat adjustments I finally made it comfortable(I am only 5'6"). So far that's the only thing we do not like about our MH.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #8

THOR #4032
High heels?

My engineer boots do it for me. They have a nice heel so my foot is completely on the floor. The only problem is I don't want to have to wear heavy boots all the time. I think I will try to find some shoes that are comfortable with a good heel on them. And then I will try to find a booster for my wife to rest her feet on. If I could talk to Thor, I would ask them to consider making both seats adjustable. More comfort equals more safety at the end of the day.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #2954
At 6'4" (all legs) the problem I have with our 29.3 is my legs don't actually rest on the seat. With the slide-out retracted my seat can't go as far back as I need. It is also not as high up as I would like it. So my knees stay bent to the point that my thighs sit above the seat. The result is driver fatigue because the seat does not hold my legs in place, my muscles do. I did buy a gel seat cushion and keep it slid a little bit forward to support my thighs. My DW is only 5'2" so when she drives she has problems opposite of mine.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #10

THOR #4032
Bad design

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmi View Post
At 6'4" (all legs) the problem I have with our 29.3 is my legs don't actually rest on the seat. With the slide-out retracted my seat can't go as far back as I need. It is also not as high up as I would like it. So my knees stay bent to the point that my thighs sit above the seat. The result is driver fatigue because the seat does not hold my legs in place, my muscles do. I did buy a gel seat cushion and keep it slid a little bit forward to support my thighs. My DW is only 5'2" so when she drives she has problems opposite of mine.
I conclusion of this, after hearing from many is it is just a bad design. One size fits all usually means one size doesn't fit anyone. I hope Thor will address this problem in the future. Next time I buy a motorhome, the driving comfort and safety will be #1 on my list. I don't care how much glitter and extras you put on a motorhome, if you drive it (and who doesn't) comfort and safety should come first. Three TVs are not more important than driver safety and comfort.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
RV Power Seat Bases,Chevy,GM,Ford van seat bases This place sells adjustable bases that will bolt right on but it will make the seat higher than it already is. Great for really tall people but not us short folks. You could cut down the post then add one or cut out the post completely then do one of their full base replacements.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #12

THOR #4032
Thanks for the info, maybe Jack can use it cause he is really tall.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #13

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
I agree this is a potential safety issue. My wife is 5' 5" and stretches to reach the pedals. After driving all day she is sore and has some tight muscles, I wish there was a replacement seat available. Even though it is consider an entry level unit, driver safety should still be a priority. It would also be nice if the seats truly turned all the way around.
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #14

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I agree this is a potential safety issue. My wife is 5' 5" and stretches to reach the pedals. After driving all day she is sore and has some tight muscles, I wish there was a replacement seat available. Even though it is consider an entry level unit, driver safety should still be a priority. It would also be nice if the seats truly turned all the way around.
Can you tell me why a MSRP of say $112,000 is considered a "entry level unit?" There are many motorhomes for less $$$$ out there.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:31 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #28666
Seat adjustment

I came here looking for an answer on my dangling feet while driving my Thor ace 29.3. I drove 12 hours yesterday escaping the cold weather. In a pinch yesterday I added 3” of padding to the floor. I’m immediately comfortable and my temporary carpet pads will be replaced by something more substantial soon.

My ladder to the drop down bed was installed short of the floor so it needed 1” board to work for me. I bought this with 49xx miles on it so no warranty. It works. Short legs, short ladder. It works the same to raise the floor.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #16

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
One would wonder why the people at Thor decided there was no need for the driver's seat to move up or down. It seems they have taken the one size fits all approach. When I first drove the I was wearing engineer boots with a nice heal. When I drove it later after taking delivery I found wearing sneakers my heal no longer touched the floor. Needless to say it was a very funny feeling. So if you are shorter than 5-8 or so, you will need a substantial heal on your shoes to reach the floor. The shorter you are the bigger the problem. On the other hand, if you are quite tall you likely will have other problems relating to the fact you cannot adjust the seat up or down. Also, your passenger is likely to have his/her feet dangling above the floor. This was never a problem with my previous Class C coach. I know my wife doesn't like her feet dangling very much. So what do you think the designers of this series is thinking? I would love to hear your thoughts about this.
Unfortunately, it is what you get. While having the seat lower will work as long as you can see over the steering wheel there is not much room to raze the seat without running into problems fitting under the steering wheel. Then you have to get into relocating the steering wheel. Personally, I would like to lean back a bit more on the driver's seat, but the slide out is in the way. When I am driving I fel like I am being posed for one of those old-time photos where everyone is seated rigidly upright. Other than that, I am average sized, so the seat height is about right for me on my ACE. On my 1996 Tiffin Allegro I had to add a 1 1/2" spacer under the pedestal to get the seat higher. I would have liked a little more but then there would have been problems fitting under the searing wheel.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:55 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Really? With a MSRP of $112K you would expect more. Maybe an entry level motorhome shouldn't include three tv sets, an oven, and many other nice items. My "level entry" Toyota Matrix has an adjustable drivers seat. Sorry I don't agree. I think this is a safety issue and not just a comfort issue.
The more costly coaches (Windsport and Hurricane) built at plant 750 come with 6 way power driver's seat. The driver's seat consist of a pedestal bolted to the floor plate (encapsulated in the floor), adapter assembly (powered) bolted to the pedestal and the seat itself bolted to the adapter. The coach's order from will specify the pedestal height if you ordered the coach. If the dealer made out the order form you got the seat for the average male born in 1970. Now actuarial tables list him at 5 ft 10" weighing 177 lbs with a seating height of 38". Only 6% of the these males actually fit the profile. Remember the 94% are taller, shorter, heavier, or lighter, becaues it is just an average

Manual pedestals come with adapter plates welded to the base

Pedestals are available 5.5", 7" and 10". Manual adapters are 4" thick and the power adapters are 6" thick.
Measure the height you want and call RecPro and have them ship you what you want.

My Hurricane has a 5.5 inch pedestal and the seat adapter is 6 way power. That the way it came from Thor MC Plant 750.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:05 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Gotta luv it when an almost 7 year old post gets replies like it was posted yesterday.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote