Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Connecticut
THOR #3882
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
We have a Challenger 37TB with the drop down bunk. WE haven't figured out how to use it yet, but we just had an idea to take the mattress out and add a carpet to protect it. This will leave room for folded pet crates when it is up, and when it is down we can open the crates and have our dogs sleep up there and store their food etc.
Bill we are from the same town. I think i pass your house everyday. Small world

Old 08-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #22

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Chris -- the electric bunk in my Vegas ,24.1 has a decal on the edge that says the max capacity is 500 lbs.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #23

State: Connecticut
THOR #3882
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Chris -- the electric bunk in my Vegas ,24.1 has a decal on the edge that says the max capacity is 500 lbs.
Yes iy does say 500 but when i get up.there it sags a lil. Im only 180. Wish 2 adults were able to sleep up there. I feel it shoulf be the same as the windsport overhead bunk capacity. Other than that we love our 30.1. Doing more modification to add to the ones I have already did. Safe travels all.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:54 PM   #24

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Strange, our 2016 Ace says 250 lbs. I wonder if Thor downgraded the capacity. We really don't use ours as we believe in the 6:4:2 policy.

Entertain six.
Feed four.
Sleep two.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:50 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
The bed design is different. I just viewed the Vegas video. The Vegas deploys by sliding down all four corners where ours (my 2015 29.3) releases the two rear magnets and pivots on the front edge hinge and rests on the fragile metal ledge.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #26

State: Indiana
THOR #20105
2012 Thor Ace front bunk

anybody figured out a way to increase the weight capacity of the drop down front bunk.. a brace maybe?
Old 02-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
If staying with us, my 19yr old son will use the overhead bed. He is too tall for the smaller couch or dinette. My disappointment is that you can't reach the storage cubbies in the front bulkhead while standing on the floor, and I am pushing the weight limit to climb on the bed. Once the bed is raised, there is no access to these storage bins.
That's because they are "hidden storage" - a Thor touted security feature.

For the OP, I cut my head on one of those ladder clips ONCE! I then moved them to the upper porting of that side rail so that wouldn't happen again.

We use our bed for grandkids. For the youngest one (2 now) we have an extra long (80") bed rail that goes from the mattress support to the ceiling to prevent a night time tumble. Works great.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:07 PM   #28
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's because they are "hidden storage" - a Thor touted security feature.

For the OP, I cut my head on one of those ladder clips ONCE! I then moved them to the upper porting of that side rail so that wouldn't happen again.

We use our bed for grandkids. For the youngest one (2 now) we have an extra long (80") bed rail that goes from the mattress support to the ceiling to prevent a night time tumble. Works great.
We have used our bunk for our, then 15 yr old nephew with no problems , although tall, he is not a heavyweight, and now at 6'5" he has no desire to camp because there is no room for him !!
99% OF THE TIME...we lower the bunk about halfway (yes, I know you are not supposed to do that) as our cat loves having his own hideout and yes, it does make for a nice place to put jackets and misc stuff when on an extended stay.
We have, actually, considered taking out the mattress to make room for more stuff !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:00 AM   #29

Model: vegas 24.2
State: Arizona
THOR #3699
Banging my head on the upper bunk

I have a 24.2 Vegas I found that by cutting a swim noodle and sticking on those clips I solved my problem.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:08 AM   #30
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry getlan View Post
I have a 24.2 Vegas I found that by cutting a swim noodle and sticking on those clips I solved my problem.
GOOD IDEA ! We have a noodle which we cut and slit lengthwise which
we put on the extended awning support behind the entry door to keep it from hitting the support...
We will use your idea, for sure on that stinkin dropdown bed !!
THANKYOU !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 02-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #31

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Years ago I built a bottom bunk so that my third daughter could have her own sleeping spot (I could get my couch back)...its takes a few minutes to set up but works great...allow one adult on the upper bunk and one on the lower one ...its a little larger than a single bed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bunk 1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	28579   Click image for larger version

Name:	bunk 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	28580  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bunk 4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	28581  
Old 02-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #32

Model: ACE 30.1
State: West Virginia
THOR #21234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
anybody figured out a way to increase the weight capacity of the drop down front bunk.. a brace maybe?
Surely there has to be a way to do this?
Old 02-23-2021, 07:21 PM   #33

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
We have discussed this on another post recently. We have the Axis 24.2 which does not have dedicated sleeping areas. The only two options are the couch/bed or the drop down bed. My wife's sleep is disturbed by my movements and hours (I'm an early riser) so she prefers to sleep on the drop down bed.

We tried a variety of foam mattress and pads for her comfort and eventually settled on a quality air mattress which, when inflated, is 7 or 8 inches thick and very comfortable. During the day, the mattress is deflated, the bedding remains, sans pillows, and the bed is stowed.

As a side note, while many opt to remove jack knife sofas, I bought one to replace the couch bed. This allows me to use the bed whether or not the slide is extended. In fact, after the first night of camping, the bed usually remains made up until the end of our trip. I found a thick mattress pad that mostly eliminates the irregular contours of the unfolded jack knife sofa.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:15 PM   #34

State: Georgia
THOR #21916
We use are bunk all the time. It's the main reason we bought out 2013 Thro Hurricane 34E. It's rated for 500 lbs. We have a queen size 6" memory foam mattress on it. Bunk sits 2" lower then it used to in the up position with the 6" mattress, but I just drilled another set of holes 2" lower for the locking pins to go in.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:33 PM   #35
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Redlands View Post
We have discussed this on another post recently. We have the Axis 24.2 which does not have dedicated sleeping areas. The only two options are the couch/bed or the drop down bed. My wife's sleep is disturbed by my movements and hours (I'm an early riser) so she prefers to sleep on the drop down bed.
HI ! Before we purchased Axis 24.1...we owned an amazing 25' Dorado with opposing slides...however, the issue was that doggoned hide a bed. The previous owners had, literally, broken it down. Ron created a wood support system which we stowed under the jackknife bed when not in use...to setup we would place the boards over the 'springs' ...bought a new amazing 3 layer foam mattress...and it was definitely doable,
Hence, when we shopped for a new RV...and found the 24.1...we were sold sight unseen, having viewed the layouts on the Thor site. We visited our local dealer...we drove one which was sold...3 days later they had ours on site.
We have never regretted having the twin beds/king size bed in the rear. 5 yrs later, I am still lobbying for a new mattress...the factory mattress is just ok. A foam topper helps....Since this is the last motorhome we will own, we are seniors....we are so happy we have the 24.1
HAPPY CAMPING !
Jeep Wrangler TJ