Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
ACE drop down bed ... do you use it?

Thor has promoted this feature as a very big deal. Only four of us travel in our 29.3. Me, my wife and our two small dogs. So we don't need the extra drop down bed. I thought it would be useful when camped to toss things onto, utilizing it for extra storage. After banging my head on it twice (once actually breaking the skin when my head contacted the ladder clip) I decided it was a very bad idea. I don't know how many actually use the drop down bed. It costs a lot and if I could have custom ordered our 29.3 I would have opted to not have the drop down and put the money into something more useful to us, like the drivers and passenger seat moving up and down... but that is a different post. I am just trying to get a feeling about what you like and don''t like about the ACE.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Don't have an ACE (we have an Axis with a similar drop down bunk). Our bunk is our son's bed. We use it nightly when camping.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
If staying with us, my 19yr old son will use the overhead bed. He is too tall for the smaller couch or dinette. My disappointment is that you can't reach the storage cubbies in the front bulkhead while standing on the floor, and I am pushing the weight limit to climb on the bed. Once the bed is raised, there is no access to these storage bins.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
Pretty sure I read 250lbs.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:47 AM   #5

Model: Thor ACE 30.2 Bunkbed
State: Minnesota
THOR #4620
Overhead bed

Our ACE 30.2 has the overhead bunk. Our grandaughter used it on our last trip. She loved it. But be careful. Once when she was climbing into it she sort of bounced in. I was sitting under it and noticed the trim on the underside cracked. that's the part of the bed that folds up to become the mirror when bed is up. I wouldn't trust it with 250 lbs. she weighs less than 100 lbs.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:57 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Florida
THOR #4067
Have a hurricane 35c and would like to toss this at the dump if i could get rid of it. Totally useless. I have visions of it droping on my head going down the interstate. Has anyone removed one of these ?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:32 AM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnash View Post
Have a hurricane 35c and would like to toss this at the dump if i could get rid of it. Totally useless. I have visions of it droping on my head going down the interstate. Has anyone removed one of these ?
We would rather have storage up there than the bed...our cat likes to hang out up there when we are camped more than one night at a given campground.
..and we do have a tendency to toss things up there when the bed is down.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:35 AM   #8

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We would rather have storage up there than the bed...our cat likes to hang out up there when we are camped more than one night at a given campground.
..and we do have a tendency to toss things up there when the bed is down.
I tried lowering it for tossing things on it but after the second time I smacked my head I thought better of it.....
Old 07-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #9

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
I tried lowering it for tossing things on it but after the second time I smacked my head I thought better of it.....
We just got back from a nice camping trip, and again I tried lowering the bed to use for storage of light weight items etc. This time, I had turned both captains chairs around and inserted the table between them before I lowered the bed...

Because of the table etc. I was still able to use the chairs to watch tv etc but didn't smack my head so I guess I will used it...maybe not all the time for on certain occasions..
Old 07-14-2016, 11:47 PM   #10

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
My grandson has used the bunk on our 2015 Vegas 24.1. the decal on the edge of my bunk says 500 lb max load. I have gotten up on the bunk a few times and I weigh 170 lbs.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #11

THOR #1775
Never used ours, just me and the wife, wish I could trade it out for something else too...
Old 08-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
We've used ours once, when our used-to-like-camping teen joined us in San Diego so he could surf different beaches. It was perfect for him -- a little boy/man cave.

We've also used it a couple of times to store the kennels we use to crate our 2 little dogs when we travel. It was rainy outside and we didn't want to put the kennels out, so we dropped the bed and they sat up there until it was time to hit the road.

We like the option of having a bigger bed, but that's about it. The couple of times we've had it down we've both smacked our head on it, to the point that it resulted in tears. Because it's at the exact same level as the top of the windshield it's easy to "miss" it. So we used a bright kitchen towel as a flag and it saved our heads.

The storage pockets are used for the linen for the bunk -- keeps a full set out of the way but available if we need it. However, they could be used to store valuables if necessary. Who'd think to look up there?!
Old 08-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #13
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Drop Down Bes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
We've used ours once, when our used-to-like-camping teen joined us in San Diego so he could surf different beaches. It was perfect for him -- a little boy/man cave.

We've also used it a couple of times to store the kennels we use to crate our 2 little dogs when we travel. It was rainy outside and we didn't want to put the kennels out, so we dropped the bed and they sat up there until it was time to hit the road.

We like the option of having a bigger bed, but that's about it. The couple of times we've had it down we've both smacked our head on it, to the point that it resulted in tears. Because it's at the exact same level as the top of the windshield it's easy to "miss" it. So we used a bright kitchen towel as a flag and it saved our heads.

The storage pockets are used for the linen for the bunk -- keeps a full set out of the way but available if we need it. However, they could be used to store valuables if necessary. Who'd think to look up there?!
Probably a lot of people now that you just announced it.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:00 AM   #14

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Arrow

...the front electric bunk was a big draw to us originally - we have two teens, but the the hall bunks are where they have their sleeping area and personal space.

so...we've always used the front bunk for storage. we dropped the bunk 8"-10" to provide enough permanent storage height, drilled holes on both track arms for the extra pin stops, and use it in this position all the time. we rarely ever bring it down, unless we can't reach something in the very back... it's a great place for shallow tubs for pots/pans and extra stuff you might not use very often, but need to get to when you do.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #15

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post

Yikes! I really hurts if you smack your head on it. It is just the right height to knock you out if you are not careful. I recommend you make sure your two seats are turned around and the table is in place between them to minimize your chances of seeing stars. Also, if you keep valuables up there you can simply remove the key for security. I think anyone who breaks through my door though won't find much of value.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Yikes! I really hurts if you smack your head on it. It is just the right height to knock you out if you are not careful. I recommend you make sure your two seats are turned around and the table is in place between them to minimize your chances of seeing stars. Also, if you keep valuables up there you can simply remove the key for security. I think anyone who breaks through my door though won't find much of value.
Thanks, Bob!

We don't use the 2 front seats except if we've got a bunch of people in, as we did when we wanted to watch the Democratic Convention and were the only rig with a television signal (thank you Winegard Carryout).

We also don't keep the bunk locked, but that's an excellent idea! Now we just have to find the key to lock it ...
Old 08-12-2016, 12:09 AM   #17

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
...the front electric bunk was a big draw to us originally - we have two teens, but the the hall bunks are where they have their sleeping area and personal space.

so...we've always used the front bunk for storage. we dropped the bunk 8"-10" to provide enough permanent storage height, drilled holes on both track arms for the extra pin stops, and use it in this position all the time. we rarely ever bring it down, unless we can't reach something in the very back... it's a great place for shallow tubs for pots/pans and extra stuff you might not use very often, but need to get to when you do.
Excellent!
We used the cabover in our class C for some storage and I slept there. We didn't have a real bed, just the cabover and a sofa sleeper with a crappy mattress and rv sized double bed. I smacked my head on the cabover a couple of times going from the drivers seat to the back. Maybe three times as I'm a slow learner but never again. We look forward to using the drop down in our axis for storage as we will have a real bed. Oh goody!
Old 08-12-2016, 01:02 AM   #18

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
The overhead bunk was the main draw to the Ace. Kids love it (7 and 9)even though we have the bunkhouse model they seem to fight over who gets to sleep up there. Not sure how long it will last it seems kinda cheap( although it's better than the fr3 bunk).
Old 08-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #19

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Connecticut
THOR #3785
We have a Challenger 37TB with the drop down bunk. WE haven't figured out how to use it yet, but we just had an idea to take the mattress out and add a carpet to protect it. This will leave room for folded pet crates when it is up, and when it is down we can open the crates and have our dogs sleep up there and store their food etc.
2016 Challenger 37TB
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #20

State: Connecticut
THOR #3882
Our son sleeps up there every night we are camping. I wish it had a heavier capacity so I can go up there. Looks cozy.