Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Ace Owners - Would you do it again?

Just wondering if you could do it over again, would you buy the same Ace model again or would you buy something else? If something else, what and why? If you love what you have now, tell us about it.

I will start this: We have a 2016 Ace 29.3. Most likely we would buy it again. No major issues, noisy engine (as are most V10 models) and steering (Safe-T-Plus needed?)...

Not a scientific poll for sure, just like other viewpoints.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Florida
THOR #4067
I don't have am ace but i WOULD NOT BUY A THOR PRODUCT AGAIN. As soon as i can unload this watermelon (to big to be called a lemon) i will. Pushing 3 months for warranty repairs and i still don't have the unit back. I am done with it. These were not manor issues ut according to campingworld the mept receiving the wrong parts. YA i believe that. Now they had to take it to ford for the dash air which is one of the original complaints. On the bright side it will be a new coach by the time i ever get it back. Just got the unit in april.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnash View Post
I don't have am ace but i WOULD NOT BUY A THOR PRODUCT AGAIN. As soon as i can unload this watermelon (to big to be called a lemon) i will. Pushing 3 months for warranty repairs and i still don't have the unit back. I am done with it. These were not manor issues ut according to campingworld the mept receiving the wrong parts. YA i believe that. Now they had to take it to ford for the dash air which is one of the original complaints. On the bright side it will be a new coach by the time i ever get it back. Just got the unit in april.
A Hurricane is a nice coach...upgrade from my Ace. Most seasoned veterans here say not to leave your coach with CW as nothing gets done. Let them get the parts and then make a firm appointment to get the work done. I have had several issues (none of which stopped me from using our coach) and I think one more trip should get everything fixed. I hope you enjoy your Hurricane.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Sorry as I'm also not an ACE owner, but I love my 2015 Windsport 27K. The first year of warranty issues was a royal pain for us, but quickly found out the weak leak was CW - where we purchased the RV. Once I started communicating directly with Thor, everything got fixed quickly, and usually very simply. I would definitely buy another Thor but I'd get it from another dealer.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #5

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Sorry as I'm also not an ACE owner, but I love my 2015 Windsport 27K. The first year of warranty issues was a royal pain for us, but quickly found out the weak leak was CW - where we purchased the RV. Once I started communicating directly with Thor, everything got fixed quickly, and usually very simply. I would definitely buy another Thor but I'd get it from another dealer.
What kind of problems did you have?
Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Ace 29.2

After 10,000 miles and 13 months, the only complaint I have is, the black water tank is too small.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #7

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
After 10,000 miles and 13 months, the only complaint I have is, the black water tank is too small.
You have a 40 gallon black water tank. On a 29.3 it is only 26 gallon. Want to trade? Seriously, there are only two of us and we can get 3-4 days dry camping before we have to dump. Never-the-less I wish ours was 40 gallons. I found out using too little water could actually make the sensors give a false reading. I told my wife to fill the toilet about half before using, flush, then fill 1/2 and flush again (solids only of course) and it actually improved the performance of our unit. I think we were getting false readings by using too little water. Thank you for your input.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #8
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
New owner of a 2016 A.C.E.. we have put approx 500 miles. No problems that I couldnt take care of. To answer your question. YES! Would but another. Just wife and myself plenty of room for two
Old 07-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnash View Post
It really doesn't matter what brand/model/manufacturer you choose it will still be a rv on top of a Ford chassis with the same QC issues as your current one. The 1st thing I'd do is call Thor & have them connect you with a dealer that WILL fix it or a mobile tech to come to you, either way it would picked up from the current dealer NOW and contact the BBB & get them some free advertising.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Black water tank

ACE brochure for 29.2 model states the waste tank is 24.5 gal. (fresh 50; waste 24.5; gray 44).
Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 PM   #11

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
ACE brochure for 29.2 model states the waste tank is 24.5 gal. (fresh 50; waste 24.5; gray 44).
Online specs for 29.2 list black water bank 40 gallons...so now I don't know which is right... Now this is for a 2017 so maybe they changed it????
Old 07-23-2016, 01:13 AM   #12

THOR #4032
Would you buy it again?

So getting back to the main question, would you buy your current coach again or go for something different? Why or why not?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:00 AM   #13

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I will let you know in a week and a half after my wife and kids spent a month in it ....I can tell you her and my answer is yes...
The floor plan is the most important feature . Other that than the rest can get changed and modified.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:02 AM   #14

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
I will let you know in a week and a half after my wife and kids spent a month in it ....I can tell you her and my answer is yes...
The floor plan is the most important feature . Other that than the rest can get changed and modified.
Be sure to let us know how you like it. Have fun!
Old 07-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3486
ACE owner

We have a 2016 ACE 30.1 and really like it. No major problems, we would definitely buy it again.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
What kind of problems did you have?
We had a number of issues we listed during the walk-thru. It took longer than it should have to get them all fixed, but one problem remained. Although I didn't care too much about it, the feature was advertised and I paid for it... the Rapid Camp system didn't work at all with the levelers. After several attempts to get Camping World to fix it (under warranty, at the same CW where I bought the brand new RV), I gave up and talked to Thor customer support directly. In the end, they sent me a new controller for the levelers which took 10 minutes for me to install, and it fixed the problem.

Other initial problems: Ford transmission indicator didn't indicate anywhere close to "D" when in Drive. Ford garage fixed it under warranty, no hastles. Plumbing and wiring hanging down everywhere; CW attached them (and I did further work on my own). Awning was ripped and didn't retract after extension. Fabric replaced and brackets adjusted. Other cosmetic stuff, but nothing serious.

We're very happy now. Love the floor plan of the 27K and the way it drives. Perfect size for the two of us.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #17

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #1382
Proud owner of a 2015 A.C.E. 29.2... Layout is perfect for the two of us. Love the GIANT storage in back.
PROS- Storage, Layout, Driveability, Price point
CONS- Factory workmanship, Camping World purchase

I've spent 30 years in manufacturing Quality Assurance and cannot believe the issues with workmanship. I understand that the parts are the same as much better ( costlier) brands, so the corner that's cut tends to be the build... I ended up with a punch list of about 19 issues, all of which I resolved myself. (i.e., sloppy woodworking, loose parts, A/C fan switch not plugged in to dash panel, poorly installed sliding door to master bedroom, exterior door latch alignment, etc. After a few months, the LED lights on the awning shorted out ( replacement received directly from manufacturer instead of THOR). After 2000 miles, the right rear axle seal started to leak resolved by Ford per the chassis warranty. I refused to allow Camping World (75 miles from home) from taking her for potentially MONTHS to fix the things that should have been resolved before it left the lot. It was my first RV purchase, so ' caviate emptor' (spelling?)...
WOULD I BUY IT AGAIN.? Yes. I realize it was an entry level 'value-priced' product, but we love it... I really could not beat the price. As long as I can resolve any longer term durability issue ( if there are any), I'll be happy.

PS This model has done some changes over its life 2011-2017... Location and size of black tank, generator, with or without macerator, etc. we have the non-macerator smaller black water tank, rear generator. Version, but haven't had any issues. We don't boondock a lot, so we haven't had tank limitations impact us yet. Moving the generator aft , while taking up some storage space, resolved a heat issue from aledgedly being too close to the engine.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #18

THOR #4032
That explains why the black water tank size is different for different owners...changes from year to year.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #19

THOR #1775
We have a 2015 27.2 and love it, wish the bathroom was bigger but that the only real complaint.

Biggest problem we have was that we bought it at CW and that was the lesson to learn, don't buy anything from them.

Dealing with Thor concerning issue we had was no problem...
Old 08-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
We have a 30.1 and just got done with a 3,000 mile trip to Washington. Everything worked flawlessly, and we were very comfortable in it, even with our beagle having to be kenneled 24/7 while recuperating from disc surgery. We really put it through its paces, and were pleased with its performance all the way around. And nothing fell apart!

We learned the limits of our generator, however (in a bay located right behind the driver's seat). It doesn't like really hot weather. Once we hit 100* coming through Shasta, it cut out. Fortunately we didn't have much farther to go, and the dash AC kept us and the dogs cool enough until we could hook up to shore power and run the house AC.

I'm tempted to see if we could swap out the bay door for one that allowed greater airflow. I think it would help.