Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Adding a leveling system for a Thor axis

Has anyone had one installed ??

Old 08-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
If I were you, I'd go out and buy 2 sets of the Lynx Blocks. They snap together like Legos to level.

Have you been reading all the comments and complaints about leveling systems on this forum over the past 2 or 3 weeks? Seems like there have been more complaints about leveling systems than dead batteries lately.

My own opinion is that it is a bit of overkill on an RV the size of a Vegas/Axis. Now if this was a 40'+ RV with multiple slides, well maybe levelers make sense.

I have Lynx blocks and we have about 100 days camping this year in our Vegas 24.1 -- have yet to take any of the blocks out of their storage bag.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
I had the dealer install the HWH Kick-Down Levelers when I purchased my unit. I am very pleased with it. I pull into a site and turn on the system. The levelers kick down. If needed, I then go outside and put 1'x1' 5/8" plywood blocks under the feet. Then back into the RV and press the button again. The unit self levels. I really like it since I travel alone.

The levelers are kick down because the Axis/Vegas frame rides very low. Think of extending your arm at the elbow.

Thy plywood is there to spread the load. I also carry ones made of plastic. It depends on the surface that is under the rig. Some RV Parks with asphalt pads require you to use the pads to keep the feet from gouging the soft asphalt in the heat.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Ron agrees with Ed ... we have used the Lynx Blocks for 15 years and find them sufficient on our motorhomes. Once in a while you need an inch or two on one side to get level...or just in front...it is an easy fix.

However...it all boils down to personal preference. That is why we all have so many options !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #5

THOR #3992
We were at a campground near Maggie Valley North Carolina over the weekend The lot was very unlevel towards the rear as we were backing in against the mountain stream It was very difficult to get the motorhome level useing our leveling blocks we finally just gave up
Old 08-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #6

THOR #2271
One other issue is if you are alone or with someone else. If alone, the leveling blocks are a pain because you have to jump in and out of the RV to set trhe blocks.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
We were at a campground near Maggie Valley North Carolina over the weekend The lot was very unlevel towards the rear as we were backing in against the mountain stream It was very difficult to get the motorhome level useing our leveling blocks we finally just gave up
Yes..understood...we were at a campground in Florida first part of July...the
site was beautiful, near a pond...the ground was so soft we could not get level...jacks would not have helped...we asked to move...granted..
happy campers !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:38 PM   #8

THOR #3992
Yes even though my wife is with me her inside driving up on the blocks I still end going back and forth I hear a lot of i'm not sure
Old 08-02-2016, 01:06 AM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Read on one of the threads here of someone with one of the jacks bent. Was told a replacent will cost $2,000. I could buy about 50 sets of Lynx blocks. All the problems I've read here about low voltage, automatic level not working, jacks stuck up, jacks stuck down -- the levelers would be more hassle for me than their worth. I'll take the Occam's Razor approach.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:57 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I agree with Ed. Now our Four Winds is 25ft. so I am sure if it was 30 plus I would think different. We have probably been to 40 plus campground and have yet had to level. I had to reposition the RV a couple times but haven't had to use our blocks yet.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #11

THOR #3992
Thanks to everyone for their replies I think I will just stay with my leveling blocks For now anyway
Old 08-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
If you can't get level using the leveling blocks then a hydraulic system may not be of use. The hydraulic systems have their own set of limitations.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #13

THOR #3992
It's very important for me to get it as levels as I can because of the freezer I have ice packs for my back because of some surgery that didn't go well And if the fridgerator is not completely level the ice packs won't get completely hardThat's just the way it is
Old 08-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Read on one of the threads here of someone with one of the jacks bent. Was told a replacent will cost $2,000. I could buy about 50 sets of Lynx blocks. All the problems I've read here about low voltage, automatic level not working, jacks stuck up, jacks stuck down -- the levelers would be more hassle for me than their worth. I'll take the Occam's Razor approach.
You left off the recent one where a hydraulic line or hose ruptured, soaking part of the floor of the motorhome with hydraulic fluid.

While I agree with your point of view completely, in fairness to OP, it's usually difficult to justify (time or cost) what I consider luxury or convenience items other than we want them because we want them. I have friends who will work the equivalent of 10 hours to pay for a "tool" that will save them 10 minutes on a project a couple of times a year versus doing it the old-fashion way (by hand). If evaluated as a business decision it makes no sense whatsoever to me, but if they get pleasure from owning that tool, how is it any different than pushing a button to get everything level?

If I had an Axis with a slide, and had to level it first on my sloped driveway at home every time I loaded, unloaded, and cleaned, it would get old fast -- levelers would be nice to have. But if my decision was based solely on campgrounds we've stayed at, then I'd pass on levelers. Practically all sites have been level enough that we haven't done anything (although my concerns have been limited to the fridge and not a slide).

By the way, during Tour of France bike race, motorhomes were lined up along route on steep mountain passes prior to summits, and I did not notice a single one with jacks of any kind. Most had blocks under wheels because the slopes were often in range of +/- 10%.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
If I had an Axis with a slide, and had to level it first on my sloped driveway at home every time I loaded, unloaded, and cleaned, it would get old fast -- levelers would be nice to have.
You mean like this:

That is about a 6" lift to get the refer to cool in our drive way. I only put the Axis up on the levelers when we're cooling the fridge. All other times (washing, unpacking, etc.) it sits nose down (I even extend the slide in those instances without leveling--haven't had any issues so far; the 24.1 slide is so small to begin with).

I usually startup the fridge in the storage lot the day before so that its good and cool when I bring it home to pack for a trip. Then I'll level it in the driveway to make sure the fridge stays cool for the 24 hours or so it sits there before embarking on our journey.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Leveler Blocks

We recently picked up 4 Camco RV Tri-Levelers from Walmart (part # 551832234). We have used them several times now and the are working well so far.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
It's very important for me to get it as levels as I can because of the freezer I have ice packs for my back because of some surgery that didn't go well And if the fridgerator is not completely level the ice packs won't get completely hardThat's just the way it is
Sorry to hear about your back. Hope it gets better soon.

I guess that's one of the reasons residential refrigerators are becoming more popular. Have you thought of a portable electric freezer? It may be much lower in cost than levelers if it could work -- not sure of your needs like space and temperature. Obviously it wouldn't address food in freezer.

Ultimately, if you want levelers you should get them. Settling for less is just that.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #18

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
We use a combination of Lynx blocks, 5/4 X 6 "X26" PT or PT 2X8X26" plus ramps like shown above. So far we have been in 1 camp site we didn't require at least 3" of lift to level. Most NPS CG's aren't level and the same for some USFS CG's.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #19

THOR #2271
Another advantage of levelers is that they take the weight off the tires. I leave my rig in the back yard up on the levelers. That way my tires don't develop out of round spots. I checked with HWH and they said that there isn't an issue of leaving the levelers down for an extended period of time.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #20

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
scrubjaysnest sounds like we camp in the same places! LoL ... We too are still under a handful of times that blocks weren't necessary!

Some remote roads and getting in/out of open spots off of them has had me use the leveler blocks to get through, that would otherwise resulted in a scraped up rig. I really need a 3rd set, more for this purpose than getting level.

An automatic leveling system wouldn't really make things much easier for the places we go. I've had them before

I look at levels mounted in my cab as I pull into a spot. Then guess how many blocks and where they need to go. Typically it only takes one time out to level and popping together a few interlocking squares isn't much different than a trip out anyway to position spreader pads if auto level jacks were on the Axis.