Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You're not going to like it...

You're gonna LOVE it!

Congratulations!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
We have a 2014 33.3 Palazzo.
Positives: [/B]Comfortable and quiet ride; floor plan works well; drop down front bunk is great for grandkids; kitchen set up works well; queen bed layout is nice; engine, trannny and power train adequate even in the mountains pulling a toad; fuel MPG 10.5 even with AC and generator use. I replaced the air mattress with a better foam mattress.
Negatives: Lots of repair issues. The LR slide broke twice. Finally repaired after 4 month stay at the shop. I understand the slide mechanism is now more robust on newer models. Three Cabinet doors fell off which I have reworked. Water leak at one window. Water leak at storage bay solved by adding new rubber seal. The instrument cluster has gone bad twice then mysteriously resurrected itself but the cause is unclear. The front window shade control unit shorted out and I had to replace it. The drivers seat vinyl is already wearing through. Windshield washer tubing came loose. Water heater temp gauge malfunctioned and needed repair.
Despite all that I doubt other brands in this price range are better and I would consider this model if looking again.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #23

State: Alaska
THOR #5588
We have a 2017 36.1 which has been back out to Indiana twice. Thor took care of the problems without incident. We really like the layout, the residential fridge, bath and a half and the chassis.
Overall quality is not great, but that being said, it's a big step up from a gas class A as far as ride quality, comfort and handling.
Hindsight being what it is, I would have gone with a higher end rig. Which is what we are going to do at the end of the summer. We'll be stepping up to an Entegra Anthem.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #24

Model: Palazzo 33.4
State: New Mexico
THOR #3722
Wouldn’t recommend a Palazzo

We’ve a 2016 33.4 and have had more than our fair share of issues, most revolving around Thor’s apparent none existent quality control. Check my posts and you’ll see a couple of them.

Currently have the rig in for maintenance on both forward L/R slides, the right side apparently a factory misaligned in-wall Schwintech that ate itself, the left the factory did not put in the correct length roller plates for the bottom rollers, causing an occasional rear/left side jam. Of course it is outside warranty now so $$ out of pocket for repair...

Many smaller issues ,of course, however before I allow myself to curse that Norse gods name any further I will say it is a comfortable ride ‘XCS chassis’ and that the 33.4 floorplan works very well for us and have no plans to offload this unit in the foreseeable 3-4 years future.

For any new unit that you purchase and the Norse gods in particular a very thorough pre-buy and heavy first years use is highly recommended!!
Old 08-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #25

State: West Virginia
THOR #1006
I say, go for it. We just bought a 2018 ACE 30.2. We traded in a 1998 Windsport. Twenty years old and got back from FL in May. It was still going strong. As with any vehicle, things will wear out in time but with a new unit I hope for several years of little maintenance. I was happy with my old Thor. That's why I stayed with them.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:43 AM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #6872
urkeytoheaven. Org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Cart View Post
Purchasing a new 2018 Thor Palazzo, 36.3. Any advice or opinions from Palazzo owners?
I have had a 2014 palazzo 35.1 for a year and a half. The gray tank is only 40 gallon which not nearly enough. If it was 60 gallon it might last as long as the 40 gallon black tank. Also both front and back ac thermostat are outside the bedroom. This means when I close the bedroom door at night, to make it darker, the bedroom ac isn't being regulated. There is supposed to be an access door in the bedroom floor to get to the engine for service but the factory forgot to put it in. The last thing I can say is DON'T BUY NEW. Your new RV will be in the shop for warranty work for a minimum of 6 months of the first year and everything still won't be fixed. Buy low mileage used and let someone else deal with the warranty problems.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:13 AM   #27

Model: Serrano 34M
State: Virginia
THOR #4855
Thor Palazzo 36.3

I am answering as the owner of a 2017 36.3. So I am telling you my experiences and not another coach or manufacturer or anything other than the Palazzo 36.3.
With the exception of not realizing the difference of the opposing slides, the layout and standard equipment were what we wanted. 10 days after purchasing the Coach - we brought it home, loaded up everything to travel, and the tilt-a-view bed trapped my wife between the platform and the washer/dryer closet - severely crushing here leg. Had to call a mobile mechanic to get the slide and bed to retract.
1st trip discovered that the wooden bottom of the dinette cabinets was cracked and warped, the door to the cabinets hit the top molding, bolts were missing from the dinette table, etc. etc.

26 items needing attention and warranty repair, DEALER sucks. Just after purchasing they became Camping World and any repairs and parts they ordered did exist in CW's system and had to start all over. 5 months - not only did I not get repairs (dealer said it was THORS fault), THOR shuffled me to 5 different Customer Service reps and started over every time and resent all the paperwork and lists with every new person.

Finally got escalated to a "higher" team - and thought things were getting done. Went to the FMCA convention in Indianapolis last year and met with THOR reps and Cummins / Onan - Discovered the Generator Mounts were cracked with less tan 40 hours on generator.

Purchased Jan 30 2017 - Coach has been at a dealer for the past 5 weeks and has had 3 THOR Service tech visits and still not back or work completed - Now have a full slide issue, shower leaking at door issue, Bed is still not fixed correctly - & Oh by the way - THOR changed the tilt mechanism for the 2018 - but that one is not in mine - although THOR keeps telling me it is. The have no clue what components are in the coaches they build even thought they will tell you they have very specific build sheets.

Will I tell you not to buy a THOR - Your choice - members of my local club have several different THORs including one member that had a 33 and just traded for a Venitian.

Personally my experiences with THOR have been horrible and so stressful the BW and I fight over this all the time. Having lost vacation time, cancel plans often, travelled and had to manually swap switches and wires or fix broken parts, doors etc. on every trip.

Some will say that is expected when owning an RV. Yet - I don't believe that is true. Little things will go wrong and there will be normal fix it items. Like the washing machine drain that sucked in a cloth and flooded the bed area. Happens. - But the lack of quality control and inability to communicate with customers, on and on is not what we should expect.

Your dealer is important - I am quickly learning that the bigger dealers, are more interested in you and your coach than the little locals. Current General RV has been loaning space to THOR for their tech to work on my RV - Good PR for them - BUT they call me about everything, and I can't get THOR to call me and schedule work.

Again just my experience, maybe this one is a lemon and other Palazzos are great. But try and get THOR to repair, better yet replace the lemon after 19 months and no joy!

If I ever get the Palazzo back - I am considering selling - probably at a big loss and buy anything but a THOR - will probably get something used because that may be all I can afford after all the money I have lost on this one - Monthly Finance, Insurance, Storage fees I can't use - Limited spaces in the area - If I cancel I could wait 6 months to a year for another space. Oh and the mileage and fuel costs for 7 multi week trips to dealers and a trip to the factory that didn't get much done.

Happy to supply more info regards and good luck on what ever you purchase -
Old 08-05-2018, 02:40 AM   #28

State: Alaska
THOR #5588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleyb View Post
I am answering as the owner of a 2017 36.3. So I am telling you my experiences and not another coach or manufacturer or anything other than the Palazzo 36.3.
With the exception of not realizing the difference of the opposing slides, the layout and standard equipment were what we wanted. 10 days after purchasing the Coach - we brought it home, loaded up everything to travel, and the tilt-a-view bed trapped my wife between the platform and the washer/dryer closet - severely crushing here leg. Had to call a mobile mechanic to get the slide and bed to retract.
1st trip discovered that the wooden bottom of the dinette cabinets was cracked and warped, the door to the cabinets hit the top molding, bolts were missing from the dinette table, etc. etc.

26 items needing attention and warranty repair, DEALER sucks. Just after purchasing they became Camping World and any repairs and parts they ordered did exist in CW's system and had to start all over. 5 months - not only did I not get repairs (dealer said it was THORS fault), THOR shuffled me to 5 different Customer Service reps and started over every time and resent all the paperwork and lists with every new person.

Finally got escalated to a "higher" team - and thought things were getting done. Went to the FMCA convention in Indianapolis last year and met with THOR reps and Cummins / Onan - Discovered the Generator Mounts were cracked with less tan 40 hours on generator.

Purchased Jan 30 2017 - Coach has been at a dealer for the past 5 weeks and has had 3 THOR Service tech visits and still not back or work completed - Now have a full slide issue, shower leaking at door issue, Bed is still not fixed correctly - & Oh by the way - THOR changed the tilt mechanism for the 2018 - but that one is not in mine - although THOR keeps telling me it is. The have no clue what components are in the coaches they build even thought they will tell you they have very specific build sheets.

Will I tell you not to buy a THOR - Your choice - members of my local club have several different THORs including one member that had a 33 and just traded for a Venitian.

Personally my experiences with THOR have been horrible and so stressful the BW and I fight over this all the time. Having lost vacation time, cancel plans often, travelled and had to manually swap switches and wires or fix broken parts, doors etc. on every trip.

Some will say that is expected when owning an RV. Yet - I don't believe that is true. Little things will go wrong and there will be normal fix it items. Like the washing machine drain that sucked in a cloth and flooded the bed area. Happens. - But the lack of quality control and inability to communicate with customers, on and on is not what we should expect.

Your dealer is important - I am quickly learning that the bigger dealers, are more interested in you and your coach than the little locals. Current General RV has been loaning space to THOR for their tech to work on my RV - Good PR for them - BUT they call me about everything, and I can't get THOR to call me and schedule work.

Again just my experience, maybe this one is a lemon and other Palazzos are great. But try and get THOR to repair, better yet replace the lemon after 19 months and no joy!

If I ever get the Palazzo back - I am considering selling - probably at a big loss and buy anything but a THOR - will probably get something used because that may be all I can afford after all the money I have lost on this one - Monthly Finance, Insurance, Storage fees I can't use - Limited spaces in the area - If I cancel I could wait 6 months to a year for another space. Oh and the mileage and fuel costs for 7 multi week trips to dealers and a trip to the factory that didn't get much done.

As I mentioned, hindsight being what it is, I would not buy another Palazzo. However I am in a quandry with recommending or not recommending a Thor product or Palazzo. Yes, I have had many of the small issues mentioned, along with a few big issues that Thor addressed, constant irritating issues with the coach that I fix which if I wasn't a former mechanic would probably have to go to the repair shop.
It seems as though every 3rd time the coach takes a trip something needs to be tended to. Leaking storage bays was the last trip and I replaced all of the weather stripping. Just this afternoon city water back filling the fresh water tank and running out of the overfill vents.
Just always seems like there is something that needs to be addressed on this thing.
I realize it's not a $1.8M Newell or $700k Entegra Cornerstone or $700k Newmar but the nagging issues in my opinion are beginning to overshadow what I thought was a good value.
No more Thor for me.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #29

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
IMO it is always a roll of the dice. For every dozen or so of real “lemons” they produce hundreds of fairly well put together rigs. New, used, or otherwise much of it is just doing your best to make a through inspection and negotiate a reasonable price. Some problems emerge on the first trip others manifest after a year or more. No matter how much money you pay or not pay there are no guarantees. It’s just the nature of the beast.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: there are no guarantees.
But that's why this forum is such a GREAT place! Folks jump in, and help you solve the problems that you do encounter!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #31

State: Colorado
THOR #6261
Regardless of model plan to spend some time fixing things first year as you find them. You just have to get thru it and remember why you bought it. Once you get it the way you want it you will be a happy camper. Enjoy!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:18 AM   #32

Model: Aria 3901
State: Iowa
THOR #12878
Love my Thor

We bought a 2015 Windsport 34E, Had lots of issues that were never resolved with the Ford F53 Chassis but liked the Thor Built Motorhome, Traded for a 2015 Plazzo 35.3 and fell in love with the ride and power the DP offered, Very few problems. Spent a winter in it and realized we needed more space and traded for the 2018 Aria 3901. We have had issues but Thor has been great and for the most part has everything resolved. I love this floorplan and the way it drives and rides. Great job Thor!
Happy Camping
Fred
Old 09-06-2018, 05:10 AM   #33

Brand: Keystone
State: California
THOR #7189
Bedroom slide out not working any ideas?

I have a 2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB the bedroom slide will not go out straight it pulls to one side any advise work be great thank you Bobby
Old 09-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #34

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
"However I am in a quandry with recommending or not recommending a Thor product or Palazzo."

Please hurry and make up your mind, one way or the other. Everyone at Thor is loosing sleep and their future is in your hands! We await your decision with great eagerness!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #35

State: Colorado
THOR #6261
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifenmt View Post
I have a 2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB the bedroom slide will not go out straight it pulls to one side any advise work be great thank you Bobby
Be sure you hold the retract button down for a few seconds after it comes in to sync up the motors.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:17 AM   #36

State: New Hampshire
THOR #25255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleyb View Post
...[snip]...
Stanley would love a long-term follow-up. Did you keep or trade? Were you ever able to get all the issues resolved?
Thanks,
Paul