Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
The current Camping World sales booklet has a picture of a new coach starting at $64,797 or $384 mo for 20 years with 10% down. This one may not have all the available options but there are so few upgrades on the Axis/Vegas that it should give you an idea of where the new ones start. Even with add on fees and taxes that gives little incentive to purchase used in a similar price range with no warranty. Also, used interest rates and financing are hardly ever competitive with comparable new models.

There are several dealers, other than Camping World, mentioned as having great prices if you search through the forum. 2 years ago we were at the Tampa show waiting to test drive the Camping World's Axis when an RV One (RV Direct) salesman mentioned they had a new Axis on their Orlando lot priced better than anything at the show. We bought it!! So my advice would still be to look around at other dealer's new prices. Easy to do on the Internet!!

Old 02-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Inspect the RV! If you feel you are not qualified to properly inspect the RV hire an independent Mobile Tech to do the inspection for you. During the inspection make sure the RV is fully connected (water, electric and sewer) and then run every system, check every faucet, flip every switch and dump every tank.

After doing the above, take the coach out for a good test drive to include in and around town and on the interstate at highway speeds. Do not for one minute think an RV handles the same on an interstate at highways speeds as it does in a city.

Once you are satisfied everything is working correctly and you are happy with the test drive, then make the offer to purchase.

Since it is a used RV there will not be a manufacturer's warranty on the coach and you will not be entitled to support from Thor Customer or Warranty Services. Depending on the mileage, there may be a portion of the chassis warranty that is transferrable.

Above are, in my opinion the must know items.

Below are the nice to know item(s)

When making the purchase offer include items you would like added such as vent covers, tire valve extensions, replacement of Harris batteries with non Harris batteries, second house battery if it doesn't have one, installation of an inverter. Dealers won't always add these items at their cost but the worst that happens is they say no and you walk away.

Most importantly, thanks for your service to our country.
Sir,

First thanks for your service as well. I did speak to the salesman about the warranty and explained to me that it is non transferable. The only warranty continuen is the drive train from THOR 6 years/60k. However, they do offer another form of warranty from camping world or good sam. I have never had experience with camping world or good sam services. I have not yet check if USAA offers extended warranty; do you any advice on companies that are great on customer service?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Hi Radnee,
I retired from the Navy seven years ago and settled on the north Oregon coast. Both my wife and I still work but like to travel. Originally we settled here because we had a sport fishing boat and thought we would do a lot of fishing and crabbing; we did initially. But the winters are long here and we found we were only using the boat about three months of the year. So we decided to sell the boat and buy an RV. After about two years of extensive searching at RV shows, using RV trader, going to private buyers we gained a lot of knowledge and thought we had a good idea of what we wanted. That said, although our plan was to buy a used one for our initial RV and then later buy a new one if this is something we wanted to continue to do, we bought a new 2016. Looking at the other responses to your question I see a lot of good advice. There are times I wish we had stuck to our game plan and bought a used one. Primarily because what has been mentioned already, there can be a lot of warranty issues with a new rig and chances are good when buying a used RV the original owner spent considerable time and money correcting these defects. I recently posted a clearance lens cap had come off the back of my RV and I asked if anyone knew how I could get a new one. A lot of good advice came from this – a common theme was if it is under warranty take it back to the dealership. I called the dealership and they said I would need to bring it in for them to examine and then check with Thor to see if they would cover the replacement. The dealership is over 200 miles away. I opted to pay $3.50 for a new one and have them mail it to me – got it in the mail yesterday. The windshield got a crack in December that I feel is related to the defroster, but Thor says they will not cover it under the warranty. I have a $1000 deductible on my insurance so that will be my cost to replace the windshield. So it is little things like this that add up in the expense and time. Last point, I can’t tell you how many private sellers I spoke to that told me they were the original owner and all the repairs and upgrades they made. Do we have any regrets – hell no. I get excited every time we plan a trip – even if we are only going to a state campground 10 miles away. Would I have done things differently – yes. I would have bought used and I would have done what you are doing now – seeking advice on this site from people who have been doing this a long time.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #24

THOR #3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
That price range was for new 2015 models when we were looking last year. I would think that any used unit would be worth about $10K less unless it's had some really nice trick customizations. Are new prices higher now?
I am not sure, brand new 2016's are ranging up to 85k. Again, I am new to this industry and still doing research on price analysis. They said there are extra's so I am waiting on the breakdown what exactly the extra is? From what I have seen compared to the THOR website most of it is standard.

3 TV's (2 inside, 1 outside) is the only extra's I have noticed.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #25

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Radnee, also check out the size of the AC unit; there is an optional upgrade there along with heating pads under the water containing storage units. Other than a second chassis battery I'm not sure of what else is available as an established option

If I had my option upgrade list I would go for:
1. Smart TV's with a 12V/120 Volt option.
2. Get rid of the couch and put in two recliners.
3. Intregrated WiFi with a satalite receiver.
4. Indash Navigation.
5. Better dash speedometer (digital) display.
6. Improved rear camera display.
7. Bigger cup holders.

Thanks for your service, now join the ranks of the RV'ing Veteran!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:10 PM   #26

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Radnee - an old Army tanker here. You've gotten good advice and here are a few tips from us.

1. Figure out how you going to use the RV. Will it be a portable house on wheels for when you visit your family? Will you use it when you change duty stations? Will you use for TDYs? etc. Each of these will impact what you need in the RV relative to accommodations. More on board cargo storage, more liquid storage (fresh, black or gray water), size of inverters and batteries, etc.

2. When you drive it off the lot - you own it. Check all major systems (water, sewer, electric, ACs). A professional inspection is a few bucks but if you miss something - could be mega bucks to fix.

3. Check tire dates and wear. Check batteries with a hydrometer. Either of these two can be expensive to fix.

4. I would ask for the maintenance records and possible contact with previous owners. I did this and the seller refused - I walked away.

DO NOT get over anxious to buy. Take your time and do it right. I bought our current motorhome over the telephone, via email, text and 1 on site visit. Use the heck out of RV Trader - you'll find the right RV for you. Shop price but make sure you have a service provider in mind. A good many Camping Worlds have a sketchy service history.

I can remember all the times we spend traveling to see family and change of stations. The right RV will definitely increase the quality time with your family.

As others have said, thank you for your service. The quality of our Armed Forces makes this old trooper proud.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #27

THOR #3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Radnee - an old Army tanker here. You've gotten good advice and here are a few tips from us.

1. Figure out how you going to use the RV. Will it be a portable house on wheels for when you visit your family? Will you use it when you change duty stations? Will you use for TDYs? etc. Each of these will impact what you need in the RV relative to accommodations. More on board cargo storage, more liquid storage (fresh, black or gray water), size of inverters and batteries, etc.

2. When you drive it off the lot - you own it. Check all major systems (water, sewer, electric, ACs). A professional inspection is a few bucks but if you miss something - could be mega bucks to fix.

3. Check tire dates and wear. Check batteries with a hydrometer. Either of these two can be expensive to fix.

4. I would ask for the maintenance records and possible contact with previous owners. I did this and the seller refused - I walked away.

DO NOT get over anxious to buy. Take your time and do it right. I bought our current motorhome over the telephone, via email, text and 1 on site visit. Use the heck out of RV Trader - you'll find the right RV for you. Shop price but make sure you have a service provider in mind. A good many Camping Worlds have a sketchy service history.

I can remember all the times we spend traveling to see family and change of stations. The right RV will definitely increase the quality time with your family.

As others have said, thank you for your service. The quality of our Armed Forces makes this old trooper proud.
Sir,

We are mostly using this RV as a recreational vehicle and make traveling interstates bearable for our kids. As far as PCS go we plan to use it during the period where we go house hunting usually (10 days or so). Where do you recommend I find a professional to inspect the RV? Camping World said they would take about an hour to walk us through everything but I prefer a second opinion. We will definitely PMCS the RV but it would good to have a professional do it for us.

The RV is a 2016 Thor Axis 24.1 with some extra options. It has 4,000 miles and it was originally stickered at the 90's. When we did our first walkthrough it was undergoing repair, couch was damage and ripped. My wife noticed a strong odor smell on the bathroom part so we mentioned we want the sewer system cleaned out completely basically next time we return just like new.

I requested a free manual from a member here and will use that as an educational tool.

Thank you for your service as well.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #28

THOR #1020
Radnee - just do a Google for RV Inspector. I'd guess your either at Leonard Wood or Whiteman but in any case I did a quick Google and found these guys in St Louis. Why Choose a TDT Pre-Purchase RV Inspection?.

Ask CW for the previous owners. I'd be concerned about how a sofa go torn. Pet, party or ...? It is worth asking the question.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #29

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnee View Post
I am not sure, brand new 2016's are ranging up to 85k. Again, I am new to this industry and still doing research on price analysis. They said there are extra's so I am waiting on the breakdown what exactly the extra is? From what I have seen compared to the THOR website most of it is standard.

3 TV's (2 inside, 1 outside) is the only extra's I have noticed.
Axis/Vegas extras from Thor were pretty basic; heated tank pads, dual batteries, fans, 3rd TV, 15K AC, etc... All of these barely effect price so it's likely why our local dealers only got them with most options.

I just did a quick search and found several dealers advertising brand new 2016 24.1 Axis/Vegas under $70K and a few at $66K. On the other side of the scale I also see some advertised at over $100K ... really?

Curious now so I look up NADA book for a 2015 with 4Kmi and find quite a surprise to see low $65.7K and average $79K. Hum... Those values seem way too high to me since the 2015 models were selling here last year for about $68K.

Good luck in your search!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #30

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
You've had some great comments here. My previous 4 RVs were kept for an average of 7 years. I have bought and sold dozens of cars. Some were great, others not so great. They all no doubt looked really good when they were polished up.

My personal opinion, from what you said on your situation, would be to shop more for a new coach, with a full one year warranty. Shop dealers, too. Be sure to check with Total Value in Elkhart. There are threads on choosing a dealer on this and other forums.

I would be surprised if any used unit will be cheap enough to be a bargain. It's a supply and demand thing. Dealers know someone will come in and pay too much for a coach in demand. You have time to order a new one, if you have to.

There has been discussion here about the extended warranties, too. And finally, beware of the 20 year loan. Yes, your payments will be low, but you'll be upside down from day one, meaning you'll owe more than it's worth. As was said above, in 5 years, it will only be worth half the original cost. When you sell or trade it, you'll have to cough up hard cash to make up the difference.

Thanks for your service, and good luck!
Old 02-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #31

THOR #3613
Do any on you run a Solar Panel set up in your RV? I have seen a few options from GO POWER. This is definitely a must for us because we also travel with our dogs and may have to leave them in the RV for about 2-3 hours. During the summer times the AC has to stay on without using the generator if at all possible.

What are your opinions on changing the Harris Batteries to Interstate 6 Deep Cycle or Dual Purpose Batteries?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #32

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Radnee,

We have been thinking of Solar backup, but have not done anything yet.

As far as replacing the Harris Batteries...I would at the first sign/hint of a problem or as part of the purchase price "wheeling and dealing".

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #33

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Running AC off Batteries? Wow, I'd certainly be interested in seeing how enough batteries and solar fit an Axis to achieve even 1hr AC run time.

My battery box height won't fit golf cart batteries and lithium was the best way I saw to get some decent AH storage in that space. Initial price shock and my power target was just little things with a primary power hog being a coffee maker brewing a couple pots each day.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #34

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Radnee -- as DocMike said use the PDI checklist in the manual I sent to inspect the unit. Check to see if it has the 15K A/C (big difference over standard A/C). Take a test drive and see how it handles. Let us know how you make out.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #35

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Check out an earlier thread that covered the limitations of the batteries with solar. I've heard that the generator consumes about 1/2 gallon per hour, so with today's low gas prices, that might be your answer.
Remember, the generator won't run below 1/4 tank, to keep you from running out of gas.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #36

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
I am selling my Axis because we have decided to move up to a DP. I currently have it posted on craigslist. Please see link below. It has an extended warranty that is transferable. I will take $60K for it. The dealer offered me $57K on trade.
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/rvs/5421708626.html
Old 02-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #37

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Radne, Have fun. This was posted last week in another thread. It is somewhat scary. But it will give you some good information and help set your expectations.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #38

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Radne, Have fun. This was posted last week in another thread. It is somewhat scary. But it will give you some good information and help set your expectations.
Yes indeed, I watch this last week.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #39

THOR #1020
Just listened to Letho's Law. The title is a bit misleading but the content is SPOT ON in our experience and opinion. My basic rule of thumb is gotta know more than any sales person about systems and history of the brand and model. I don't like to refer to sale people badly but there job is to sell not teach.

Our present RV is our 3rd - got much smarter this last time - held on the check until everything was worked off. Luckily we have a solid service department to work with.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #40

State: Texas
THOR #2121
His recommendation to first rent for those without motorhome experience is a great one. We first rented about 20 years ago and were glad we did. We learned much about what to expect, plus what we liked and disliked in RVs. A two-week rental with lots of miles was expensive but was worth it for us.